Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Deciding on networking solution

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Taxen0, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Taxen0

Taxen0

Hello,

This is the first multiplayer game I am attempting to make and I have some general questions, but first some background info about the game.

The game is like a tile-based RTS where you control a small squad. the gameboard is a simple grid that is attached to a 2D-array that holds info about the tile, like if it is occupied by a unit, a open road or maybe part of a building. This object/script obviously needs to me synced between both players as well as the units themselves so we can see movement and similar things.

I have looked around for a Network tutorial that can help me accomplish this rather simple networking but when i dig deeper i fin all different kinds of "middlewares" people recommend since apparently Unitys own is bad? or maybe this is false information?

Any tip on a easy way to do this, and what tools to use? My budget is zero for now so a free tutorial would also be helpful. My thoughts now are to make one of the players host and have authoritative networking, any input on the lag that might occur or possible de-sync if using a unauthoritative model?

Thanks for reading!