Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Driver

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by dojoman, Apr 22, 2015.

1. dojoman

dojoman

Dead Driver is a game project in progress.

The player can select between different cars (see demo below) and tracks (coming soon). The main focus is on killing zombies to get XP. The more XP you get the earlier you can unlock more cars.

Video

Demo
    http://goo.gl/byi3il (5mb) Controls: A/D or Left/Right

All visible assets used in this project have been taken from the Unity Asset Store. All scripts have been done from scratch. Please do not hesitate to ask questions or leave comments.

Thanks for reading!

2. syntystudios

syntystudios

Nice work so far!
    The main thing that stands out is the cars lighting, check that you're using diffuse on all cars, As Unity5 came out we switched some of our packs to Diffuse rather than flat lit shaders.
    The way the cars are displayed is cool but seems really slow to get through them all, could try more of a Crossy Road approach.
    Would love to see more story elements to your game - like the truck that has over turned, there could be other people fighting zombies and you drive along, maybe the military has moved in to save the day :)

theANMATOR2b and dojoman like this.
  3. dojoman

dojoman

Thanks for your comments and your nice assets i am using here. I will consider your comments for further progress.

syntystudios likes this.
  4. dojoman

dojoman

Adding "story elements" to the scenery:

theANMATOR2b, wkolcz and syntystudios like this.
  5. gamadgames

gamadgames

Really great work! Maybe also some variation at the road and at the sand around the road?
    And maybe (just my opinion) some broken fences or other variations in your fence.

Keep up the great work!

~Gamad

dojoman likes this.
  6. dojoman

dojoman

Thank you for your kind words and your feedback. These are good points! I have started to fill in more details and variations to avoid a boring scenery. More screenshots and an updated webplayer demo will follow soon.

gamadgames likes this.
  7. dojoman

dojoman

Witness ultimate zombie destruction in the new demo: http://goo.gl/byi3il

- Better atmosphere
    - More zombies and more XP
    - Slow motion !!!
    - Test the F.B.I car (pre-unlocked in demo only)

Have fun.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. GreenGray

GreenGray

I like it :)

9. dojoman

dojoman

Thanks! :D

10. syntystudios

syntystudios

Looking better every post, maybe you could try the road from Simple Military(if you're going to buy it) as it might fit better with the style and it has transitions from sand road to asphalt which could be interesting.
    Love the story elements!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  11. dojoman

dojoman

Thank you. I have purchased your Military asset and will insert it to my game project very soon. Bye.

syntystudios likes this.
  12. dojoman

dojoman

Track time added. The end screen values will be used for a highscore list to compete with other players.

Demo: http://goo.gl/byi3il

13. wkolcz

wkolcz

Game is awesome, but even though my resolution on my laptop is 1920 x 1080, I have to scroll around the game to be able to select cars, start, then see the car on the road. Love the game.

14. dojoman

dojoman

Thank you. I have lowered the viewport to 1600x900px. It should work for you now. Kind regards.

15. dojoman

dojoman

Now your XP will be stored even if you close your browser after a run. Next time you load the demo your XP will be there and so your unlocked cars will. I am using encrypted Json inside the playerprefs to store it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  16. dojoman

dojoman

Now please avoid killing survivors, as this will have a negative impact on your XP.

See the guy on the blue container? :cool:

17. Boris1998

Boris1998

Looking great so far...but consider making unique graphic style. As your zombies and vehicles have minecraft look or maybe even crossy-road-like style and cactuses, road and rocks seem more soft-cartoonish styled, imo, you should take just 1 of those 2 styles. I personally like blocky style (even with round arms animations) and games like that can be very popular or not known at all. Round / smooth style looks great too, innovative, but there is always significant performance cost of using much polygons.

PS. I think I remember an android game with very similar gameplay...hovewer, make it look unique! :D

18. dojoman

dojoman

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that the style has to be unique and I am heading for the blocky one And will replace all relevant objects asap.

Kind regards.

19. dojoman

dojoman

New start screen with seamless style, hopefully :)

syntystudios likes this.
  20. syntystudios

syntystudios

This is looking really good!

dojoman likes this.
  21. dojoman

dojoman

First version is in the Google Play Store: https://goo.gl/ODplqt

This is a basic version of the game. A lot more features are planned. Enjoy.

22. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Nice! I like the sand particles flying across the scree. I think you should consider making the zombies walk around instead of just standing there, nothing too complicated, just walking in a straight line would be a start. Also, when you hit a zombie, you could replace the zombie itself with a model with unconnected cubes with rigidbodies attached to it so the different body parts fly around, because I think the splatting animation is a bit strange, especially in the slow motion thing

theANMATOR2b and dojoman like this.
  23. dojoman

dojoman

Thanks for your feedback! Ragdolls would surely be nice, but could be a performance drop. I will check it.

Animations will come in next version. In previous tests i played around with something similar, e. g. eating zombies and so on.

Furthermore, i plan to insert survivors you could rescue and earn more XP from it. Or you could accidentially kill them and loose XP, maybe. This was also part of some early tests.

24. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Ragdolls would be a good option, but I think different cubes (for arms, legs, torso and head) with rigidbodies applied to them would look even better for this kind of game. Once you get animations in place it would look amazing if you had survivors running away from zombies :)

dojoman likes this.
  25. dojoman

dojoman

Yeah, i will also check the cube option. Would cost less performance and look very nicely.

I had the idea to insert crossing survivors followed by hordes of zombies, or a simple A.I. for other drivers escaping from Zs and so on. A lot of ideas are running through my head right now :)

Thanks for your suggestions!

26. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

It felt a little weird that the car reverted back to forward rotation after steering, but overall Very nice execution.

27. dojoman

dojoman

Hi. I am not sure if i understood you correclty. Do you mean the car went suddently into the inverted direction and went back to the start?

28. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

No, I mean that it straightens up after steering. Instead of having to manually straighten the car.
    edit: It's not that it is wrong, I just didn't initially expect it work like that.

29. dojoman

dojoman

Ok, thanks for clarification, and glad to hear that there is not such a bug i thought in the first place :)

Yeah, the auto direction i made to make steering back to forward direction easier.

30. Boris1998

Boris1998

#Sony Xperia E #muchlag #suchdissapointment
    Optimise it, please....I don't want to know how, just do it :D

31. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

It works good enough on my Tegra3 tablet.
    Just a couple of notes about the game though. I had some trouble once or twice were i missed touching the left and right buttons because of their size on the screen.
    It's a touch device so perhaps you could put some swipping? left and right? Have the car follow the place that your finger touches.
    I also wanted some options to lower the sfx volume and make the music sound louder.
    Then i couldn't exit the game. I know you can just go to home and then end stuff from the task manager, i just instictively tried to exit via the back button.

32. dojoman

dojoman

Hi. I am sorry that you have lags, i will check what can be optimized to improve your experience.

33. dojoman

dojoman

These are good points, thank you. I will consider them for next release.

34. dojoman

dojoman

1.1.0 has been released: pause function added

Next version will follow soon.

35. BudgieKnight

BudgieKnight

This game certainly looks good. It reminds me a lot of Zombie Highway, which is my favourite mobile game of all time.

An improvement you could do would be to make the zombies and possibly survivors more dynamic. The zombies could move towards you when you get close and survivors could dive/run out of your way.

Another suggestion would be to give your cars stats like speed, handling, weight etc. This would give you a sense of progression as you unlock better cars and also give each of them a bit of personality.

dojoman likes this.
  36. dojoman

dojoman

1.2.0 released:
    • Touch steering stick added.
    • Car variations for speed and bullets added.
    • Track variations added.
    • HUD optimized.

37. dojoman

dojoman

1.3.0 released:
    • Combo system with slowmo effect for extra XP added.
    • Sound variations added.
    • Help information added.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  38. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

You're friggin fast.

dojoman likes this.
  39. dojoman

dojoman

Thanks :) i try to implement the community feedback as early as i can to keep development going.

40. dojoman

dojoman

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will take them into account for the next release. Kind regards.

41. dojoman

dojoman

Just to mention: I have a huge list of new features I cant wait to implement. :) e.g. more environment variations, weather conditions, day-night cycle, more challenges, etc.

The next release is scheduled for the weekend.

42. Boris1998

Boris1998

Hey, do you mind of I take your idea and make my own game around it? Just asking if you are ok with it, altrough I will do it anyway?

43. dojoman

dojoman

Thank you for asking, I am ok with it. Please try to make it not too similar if possible, at least for the GUI. Thanks.

44. Boris1998

Boris1998

No problem :D
    Trying to work it out using built in 2D physics

45. orchard800

orchard800

Great addictive game!

A couple of observations from testing the demo using IE11 on win 8.1 64bit:

1. Unable to click left in the car choice screen, so have to scroll through the whole left.
    2. After hitting the pimp survivor on the container, the car tries to dig nose first into the ground before lifting off into the sky. On my last attempt the car was too high off the ground to smash through the barrier so the game never ended.

Hope this helps!
    Dave

46. dojoman

dojoman

orchard800 likes this.