Search Unity

Data View Recommendations

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by kierans, Jul 3, 2015.

1. kierans

kierans

Hi,

Sorry If I have posted this in the wrong place. I was not sure where is best.

I was thinking about building an app in unity which deals with running competitions and storing competition information. I have used Sqlite a few times so I know I could store my data in there unless anyone has any better suggestions . . it could be a lot of data that needs to be kept for historical reasons.

The main question I have is regards to reports. I would need to present fairly detailed and long reports showing how candidates performed score wise, where they took part as well as performing data sorting. I would then want to be able to print the reports. The competitions are generally for charity so I am doing the work to support the charity.
    I have looked around quite a lot to see if I can find anything that deals with data nicely however it seems to be rather a gap which maybe because unity doesn't do it well. I know this is generally something you would do with a web interface however due to certain restrictions it is not possible.

Look forward to your input and any recommendations.
    Many Thanks

2. malkere

malkere

database creation and manipulation is possible with almost any programming language. some are specifically designed for it, but JavaScript or C#, which are the bread and butter around here, would work just fine. Arrays, dictionaries, and lists can all freely interact with each other hundreds of thousands of times per second creating long strings, fillings in hundreds of variables, changing colors, or whatever it is you need to do. You can get it to interact with SQL online or locally as well if that floats your boat.

Unity works for almost anything in the right hands.

If you're talking about many millions of accounts needing to be updated daily, a single line of code written poorly can turn a 7 second job into 9 hours. It doesn't sound like you need that kind of power though.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why Unity? This would be far better suited to a traditional database structure. Build it in access if you need an engine.

Unity is for writing games and game like stuff.