Search Unity

Darkwing Duck Remastered

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by take10animation, May 24, 2015.

1. take10animation

take10animation

Hi everyone,

We are in the early stage of remastering an old nes classic. Throughout the next coming weeks we'll be showing off loads of content from concept art to final animations for the game. You'll also get to see test animations that most likely won't make it in the game but will be fun to see either way.

All test animations will be hand drawn. Final animations will be done in Spine and put together in Unity. To start it off here's a couple animations.

If your interested in learning Spine you can check out the ebook at:

https://gumroad.com/take10animation

XCO, Makapixel and RoyalCoder like this.
  2. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

never realized darkwing was a nes game. I only remember the cartoon.

pretty sure antman nailed it.

4. Xoduz

Xoduz

Could be an official re-make. Quality of test-animation is pretty spot-on. Ducktales (another NES game) had a makeover not long ago, too (woah, two years ago already, actually. Time flies).

5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

If it's an official makeover - maybe take10 can gain access to the rough animations already created for the cartoon instead of recreating them from scratch. That would definitely speed up the process and keep the style of the new animations consistent with the originals.

If it's unofficial - why? :confused:
    Either way the spine animation example above is sweet. Nearly looks 3D.

6. laskiapina2

laskiapina2

The animations look gorgeous. Like all the others - I too hope it's an official remake. Ducktales and Castle of Illusion were awesome. If it's unofficial and Disney notices, you all have wasted your time which would be a shame because you're clearly talented.

7. take10animation

take10animation

Hey folks,

Glad to see people interested in this remake. Just to clarify a few things before they string us up by our toes. This project for us is considered fan art so yes it is unofficial for now. We will only be remaking the bridge level as a demo. Once complete the demo will be free to play for all.

Just to give you guys a little bit of our background a few of us actually worked on Ducktales Remastered. This project here is our take on remastering an old classic video game. It is entirely fan art.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Oh man, Darkwing Duck sure brings back some awesome memories. Will keep an eye on this! :)

9. take10animation

take10animation

Just to let everyone know we are working on this project on our spare time. However, with support we can definitely complete the demo a lot faster therefore we decided to put together a blog where you can view the making of the game from start to finish. We'll also be posting more exclusive content for those who decide to support the cause.

Additionally, our first prototype is now available for download. Please check out our page for more info.

bit.ly/1FJQaa1

Thanks for reading.

10. TheRaider

TheRaider

It has gone from fan art to commercial operation pretty quick!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. take10animation

take10animation

Actually it started as a commercial operation then it went to fan art quick.

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

And,,, now you need permission from disney.

13. take10animation

take10animation

All this talk about copyright and permission. Do you want to see this remake get done or not? If you do, cool. If not, it's cool too. But for those who do want to see it happen follow us or dont follow us and we'll show you some stuff you haven't seen in games before.

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

No need to take offence, they're just pointing out that if you don't own IP rights then you generally can't just go and make a game of someone elses IP which means you are very likely wasting your time since Disney could just come along and drop a C&D order anytime.

randomperson42 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  15. caldepen

caldepen

Don't let the dogs filled with snark and mean spirits bring you down! Looks good and who knows, perhaps it will draw positive interest, not just negative!

Makapixel likes this.
  16. take10animation

take10animation

@LaneFox No offense taken. We created this thread to show what were working on not to discuss who owns what IP. We can gladly delete the thread if this subject is too sensitive for you guys. :)

17. take10animation

take10animation

@caldepen Thanks. It's already gotten interest elsewhere that's why we are remaking just one level.

18. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's not a senstivity issue, its just surprising that you're continuing when its inevitable that at some point Disney will shut your project down.

19. take10animation

take10animation

@LaneFox Thanks. Yes, we are aware that Disney can come along and slap us on the wrist. Either way we'll still create a one level demo. We'll even call it a portfolio piece.

Or how about this scenario. We complete the demo Disney loves it and give us the rights to complete the full game. Now isn't this much better?

20. LaneFox

LaneFox

That would be nice, but this isn't wonderland.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

And disney asks for all funds earned on the personal kickstarter then gives the IP rights to someone else.

No offense take10 - your content looks great, but you are using someone elses IP to earn money and that isn't cool.

It's just the same as someone taking (without permission) the pink female character you have in the spine ebook or the gorilla you were selling and using it to create a game and make money off of it. Or are those someone elses original creations also?

The least you could do is gain the rights before you start using the content to earn money.

Where is @ANTMAN0079 when you need him to politely explain IP rights.

22. TheRaider

TheRaider

This.

If it is fan art you certainly shouldn't be taking money for it.

What happens to all the people who have paid (oh i mean "donated") to you when you get shut down and can't finish? Will you return the money to them and pay the same amount to Disney?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  23. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"Where is @@ANTMAN0079 when you need him to politely explain IP rights."

?!

You think this guy is going to ask you to make a game based off their immortal IP?

No, sir. It's going to be this guy who sends a cease and desist...

One should quite while they are getting nowhere... and just make your own darn game without someone else's IP.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  24. Makapixel

Makapixel

Hey all I learned about this thread through the grapevine, primarily from just browsing tumblr. So I made an account to get in on the conversation and pick some brains.

Anyway, I did learn of this a couple weeks ago from tumblr since I'm a big darkwing duck fan and I follow a few DWD tumblrs. I've seen a lot of them reblog the animations and videos. The content is super amazing. Feature animation quality and the sprites are incredible. I even saw some new colored poses on the patreon.

This is high quality stuff especially from a fan perspective. In my opinion even with what little they have it's better than 99% of other fan games I've seen. I was super impressed by Sonic 2HD and this seems to be in the same vain. That work is high quality too. I'm betting the volunteers are being paid some sort of wage. No fan project is free really.

Furthermore, I would like to address and refute the point that was made about Disney/Capcom never wanting to acquire this team(because that would be a dream/fantasy world) Except this has already happened with Street Fighter Vs Mega Man and to a different extent the port of Sonic CD that a fan made. Sega acquired the programmer and paid him to make Sonic CD because his work was so good.

There is no doubt in my mind that Disney/Capcom would wait on any sort of action because it's amazing for fan work.

I'm disappointed to see this thread turn into arm chair legalese and IP rights discussions instead of discussing the beautiful animations and really neat proto-type demo. I can't wait to see the HD sprites that replace the 8 bit ones!

Anyway the way I see it even if this is C&D'd it will be great portfolio work and any company in their right minds would snatch this company up.

At the end of the day though do you guys want to talk law or about passionate fantastic labors of love such lie this game. Is this not the forum to discuss games? It is being made with unity after all.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this move forward. If everything in the game has the same quality as that walk and idle...wow we are in for something ground breaking that's never been seen before.

Please keep on keeping on take10 :)

I believe from what I read people are becoming patrons to see the making of and works in progress. Like rough sketches, key frames, rough animations and step by step. It appears this patreon is not for buying a product it's for animation/Disney fans to see the making of a fan project. The animation looks like Disney stuff straight up. This is either a huge Disney animation fan or something more. I don't know. All I know is I want to see more like yesterday. Especially more Spine stuff! I didn't know spine was capable of that 3D look!!

Last thing I want to say about making money off of fan art. Go to any exhibit hall of any convention especially anime and you'll see people selling posters and drawings of Disney IPs such as Dark Wing Duck and ducktales. I am aware that is a fallacy but it is a similar situation that applies here.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    zyzyx likes this.
  25. Makapixel

Makapixel

I believe from what I read people are becoming patrons to see the making of and works in progress. Like rough sketches, key frames, rough animations and step by step. It appears this patreon is not for buying a product it's for animation/Disney fans to see the making of a fan project. The animation looks like Disney stuff straight up. This is either a huge Disney animation fan or something more. I don't know. All I know is I want to see more like yesterday. Especially more Spine stuff! I didn't know spine was capable of that 3D look!!

26. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"...a few of us actually worked on Ducktales Remastered"

You see? This is actually why talk about law has to be brought up. If these people actually worked on Ducktales Remastered, then I would assume these developers have some actual contacts at Disney with regards to wanting to work on such a project. It would be at that point that Disney would have their say already.

"We will only be remaking the bridge level as a demo. Once complete the demo will be free to play for all."

OK.

"However, with support we can definitely complete the demo a lot faster therefore we decided to put together a blog where you can view the making of the game from start to finish. We'll also be posting more exclusive content for those who decide to support the cause."

That's sound different than your last posting.

"Please check out our page for more info. Patreon donation page link"

Asking for money for something that isn't really yours? Now you're looking for trouble.

Winter is coming. Possibly Disney as well. And I could care less about how emotional a fan gets about this or any project. As if really liking Darkwing Duck means anybody should disregard copyright. My favorite episode is when he gained super speed powers and started aging rapidly. Does that mean I can make a sequel to the NES game or anything for that matter? NO!

Two really great legendary game developers didn't ask fans for money to buy the IP rights to the Blue Bomber and the Vampire Killer. THEY ARE MAKING THEIR OWN DARN GAME!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

If it's profit free, and Disney doesn't come knocking at your door - more power to you! I think your art skill looks impressive and this will make a great portfolio peice if nothing more. Keep it up!

28. Makapixel

Makapixel

I feel like the difference here is that they really know what they are doing and visually it's clear to anyone with eyes. I wonder if the goal is to be noticed by Disney. 2D animation like that is all but dead. As I said before this team would be great assets to any company willing to scoop them up. (if they didn't post any quality work how else would they know about them?) (They aren't mind readers)

Also you keep bringing up law but the fact of the matter is this is hands down the best game animation and it's rough and not even finished. These are facts that can't be ignored.(I respect the law but it is fan art and there are precedences already set)

Would you wait it out and see where it goes? Or are you too petty and hyped up on IP laws that you won't even give it a chance? Give it a few days maybe a week. Give them a chance to work out the kinks and make it clear that the product is free but the juicy making of is a reward for patrons that donate. That is not illegal.(It appears this has been remedied already)

You seem to like Disney right? Wouldn't you love to see a fully animated darkwing duck demo soon? Or would you rather wait years from now for Disney to hire this company and make it then?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  29. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Your wording makes it seem like the people at Disney and Capcom are particularly dense. Like it is usually obvious when someone has good skills but in this case it is so obvious that even those dummies over at Disney and Capcom can recognize it. ;)

This is a very bold statement. Have you taken a look at the Work In Progress and Showcase forums on this site? I'm not sure the statement really is true considering I have seen some extremely high quality graphics and animation because there are a lot of very skilled artists in this community.

Too petty and hyped up on IP laws? That sounds like the kind of thing only a person with complete disregard for other people's IP would say. The laws are there for a reason. Yet for some reason it seems like many people these days seem to think these laws do not apply to them. I think if the OP had come in and said "hey we negotiated a deal and have been granted the right to do a HD remake of Darkwing Duck" it would have made a lot of difference in how this is being received.

Fan works are awesome. They are also better kept to yourself or a very close group of family & friends not thrown out for the entire world to see. Surely people must realize if Disney wanted to do a HD remake of the game they would be doing it. If Capcom wanted to negotiate another deal with Disney to do a HD remake of the game they would be doing it. The simple fact is these companies do not need fans to build their games for them.

As far as the graphics and animation look I agree they are doing a fantastic job of replicating the Disney character.

randomperson42 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  30. Makapixel

Makapixel

I would like to go and edit some of my more wild assumptions. I am typing on a phone and I was pressed for time. I hope it's okay that I clear that up in a bit. (However, even without looking at this forum too much I know no one here can do 2D animation like that. (everyone seems to be into puppet stuff and 3D. This on the other hand is traditional 2D feature quality. That's hand drawn frame by frame. It is for lack of a better word Disney quality. That phrase is not used lightly.

Anyway I wouldn't consider this fan game as a game that is being made for Disney. It's a fan project for fans. I'm over this back and forth about ip laws and copyright to be honest. I'm not a lawyer and neither is anyone else here.

I hope take 10 will still post updates here for us to see.

Oh snap update! I went to the patreon and I saw this post! Check out the demo before Disney takes it down :p

https://www.patreon.com/posts/2552683

Even just an HD art swap is gonna look sweet!

31. take10animation

take10animation

Wow! Didn't think our thread would get this much attention. Obviously we hit a nerve within the unity community. Even more reason for us to keep going. I'll try to address everyone involve so far.

First off @Makapixel and @MD_Reptile thanks for the kind words. We are more motivated now than ever to keep going with this project. We have plenty of more work to show plus next version of the prototype will have our rough character poses of Darkwing Duck.

@theANMATOR2b Our pink girl character and the gorilla are there for those who purchase them and can do what they want with them. That is why they pay for them. We would love to see our gorilla character in someone else's game and if they make a profit even better.

@LaneFox Not with that attitude.

@TheRaider You are obviously missing the point. We are not selling anything. People will support us to continue creating fan art. That's what they want to see so that's what we'll give them. There's millions of people doing what were doing. Comic Con? It's all fan art. You think Disney is going to go after everyone. This is what Disney wants. The more attention their characters get the better for them.

@ANTMAN0079 If you check out our site you can clearly see we have created plenty of games. This one here is a project we wanted to do for a long time and people want to see it happen as well. Would you of told the company that created Ducktales Remastered to do their own game? Have you seen it? You'd have to be mad not to remaster any of the old nes titles. So take off your lawyer suit and jump into your gaming suit. After all, this is a gaming community. Who knows you might just enjoy the demo when it's done. We'll even throw in your favorite Darkwing Duck episode in there for you.

Bottom line, our small team has plenty of experience making games and we are still active creating great content for everyone to enjoy. Take10 Animation was founded as a side indie studio to keep making games. The only difference? We are going raise the bar in animation for games.

Makapixel likes this.
  32. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

It's not - they are asking people to "donate" on there 3rd post on this page. That makes it profit generating.
    I agree with MD_Reptile - the art does look nice, but it's fraudulent to earn money off of someone elses original design. It will really make a good portfolio piece - unless disney blocks all content from being shown.
    don't keep it up. Create your own unique content instead of ripping someone elses IP and using it to make money.

You aren't refuting anything. You are stating half facts and trying to make them back up your opinion. The programmer behind Sonic CD was never earning money off his fan work - before Capcom asked him to join. He was doing a totally free fan game which nobody had to pay for or "donate" to. take10 is collecting money for this.

This forum is made up of people busting there behinds creating original works. A lot of people are creating beautiful works. Your misguided logic is aggravating. As long as it looks good stealing someone elses ideas and using it to make money is alright with you." I'm really disappointed in people who are fans of people who steal other peoples work.

Cease and Deist orders usually come with take down and "if you show it you will be sued till bankrupt" clauses.
    Check google

I'd love to see take10 take down the "donation" personal kickstarter page and only use it as a demo piece. As it stands now there stealing someone elses work.

Makapixel you don't know much about anything about what you are talking about. It's probably best if you just read along for the rest of this thread. And while your at it - check out spine so you can be learned up before posting again.

This is usually what people say to justify stealing other peoples IP. The law is very simple and easy to understand. If you had IP to protect you would rethink your position quickly when someone used it illegally.

@take10animation Am I missing the contradiction here? How much have you paid disney for the darkwing duck IP?
    What if --- someone pirated your pink girl (like you are currently doing) and made a game that was better than you could create and earned money, maybe even a lot of money? Would you feel cheated? Would you feel like some of that money should go to you?
    You contradict your actions with your statement "Our pink girl character and the gorilla are there for those who purchase them and can do what they want with them. That is why they pay for them"

You shouldn't play semantics with IP and copywight law because you will loose. Asking for donations is generating profits and therefore bogus.
    I was interested in your content. Not so much now. I'll admit your darkwing animation is nice, but it's unfortunate you can't go about using someone elses content legitimately. That really diminishes the quality of this current work and all your past work.

33. Makapixel

Makapixel

Sad to see you think that way friend. It's okay though. I'm not here to converse with you I'm here for darkwing duck. You made a lot of good points but I don't agree with most.

The final decider is not you nor me. Your out rage is generating exposure (the content speaks for itself though and didn't require your help but it is probably appreciated.)

That one line you said about busting your ass to produce original content is telling. I suspected this much from beginning. You're jealous. "How dare these punks come in here and show off great work. What about me?"

Am I close? Lighten up dude.

34. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

It doesn't matter if you agree - IP rights are there for a reason. Glad you see you have lost that disagreement.

I'm not outraged, I'm intrigued why a legit team has to use someone elses content to generate money. I was interested at first because I think the content is nice work. But when they started asking for profit in the guise of "dontations" I suddenly lost all interest in the content.

And I hope this generates a lot of exposure - but not for the same reasons you desire. :eek:

take10 aren't punks and I'm not jealous - thats why I gave them props in my first post. But it's obvious you are out of your element :confused: and have no clue about creating art - or you'd get the point of Intellectual Property Rights. - The link was provided for your reading pleasure. Check it out and come back in 4 hours after you've finished reading it. You'll clearly see why earning profit on others IP isn't legal. Nobody needs to be a lawyer to solve the mysterious and elusive meaning of IP rights. - dude -

35. Makapixel

Makapixel

@take10animation Can't wait to see more dude! I'm gonna donate to the patreon this weekend for sure! I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys do all this stuff :)

I'm glad everyone in this thread likes the animations too! Congrats!

36. take10animation

take10animation

@Makapixel Thanks for your support and encouragement. Means a lot. We'll definitely have more stuff to show.

Ok, so enough of the debate over ip's and what not. Let's all just stare at this pretty picture. Enjoy!

XCO likes this.
  37. caldepen

caldepen

I always wonder why people get so up in arms, protecting companies like Disney as if they were delicate flowers. Who cares? It is their time and their dime. Enjoy it or not, and don't worry about poor innocent Disney, they can probably take care of themselves... and as an aside Disney pretty much only exists because they used other people's works and creations. They just happened to be created prior to today's draconian copyright laws.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  38. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

People are not at all up in arms to protect disney. It's mostly the other way round: Too many projects without consent got shut down as soon as they attracted attention from large companies. It's their right to to it but it's also very sad to see a project with a lot of work go because of something that can be avoided.
    Disney not only can take care of themselves. They most likely will. Hell - many of the longer timeframes for copyrights today exist because of Disney.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  39. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hey guys, stop over reacting, let him do what he likes, if he has some problem with Disney , it will be it's problem only :rolleyes:

40. TheRaider

TheRaider

I think it is partly because people here are often trying to create IP. This means it could be them in the future not wanting people to do the same to them.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  41. JDMulti

JDMulti

Very cool to see this remaster being developed. Just keep going and when Disney comes to kick your ass, just talk to them about creating a full version like they did with DuckTales remastered. And maybe they'll let you sign something so you can continue and even able to use real voice actors from the serie. You never know ;)

42. Ranting Monkey

Ranting Monkey

The most frustrating part of reading this thread is that this is not new. This argument has been going on for a long time. You do not even need to be making money off of DWD for Disney to tell you to stop. Countless free mods have been scrapped completely because of IP infringement.

I understand wanting it. I understand the arguments for doing this. Does not make it legal and it will not stop them from shutting this down. Companies go after all infringement because the moment they do not they lose their legal standing. They are obligated to protect their IP in order to maintain control of their IP.

43. XCO

XCO

This is Ducktablous! I mean Fabulous! :)

44. take10animation

take10animation