Search Unity

Custom Inspector : List with several type of Class

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by xXApOXx, Jul 18, 2015.

1. xXApOXx

xXApOXx

Hi,

I'm looking for some help with the custom inspector.

I have those classes : SpellEffect / SpellEffectSpeed / SpellEffectLife / SpellEffectLifeOverTime

SpellEffect is the parent of the 3 others and it's [System.Serializable]. Then I have a List<SpellEffect> that can contains all of those 3 children.

And I can't have a custom inspector that allow me to add from the editor one of them. The only thing that I can, it's add a SpellEffect.

Thx for any solutions !

2. BMayne

BMayne

This is because you have a list of Spell Effects. Polymorphism is not supported with serialization.

3. AhrenM

AhrenM

From a practical perspective BMayne is correct. Technically serialization of polymorphic objects is supported, if the classes derive from GameObject (ScriptableObject?), but I don't think that's going to help your in this case. Without serious work an inspector is certainly going to choke on a polymorphic list, so your problem remains.

A couple of options would be to compress your classes down to a single SpellData and maybe include an enum flag that says how to interpret the data, or possibly re-work your classes in Components and use a GameObject as your list container. Both of these sound messy.

Are the contents of your Spell* classes directly affecting game engine objects or are they largely data classes? If the latter, the maybe the GO/Inspector approach isn't the best way to go??

4. xXApOXx

xXApOXx

For now I can use an enum to differenciate my Spells but I will probably upgrade each of them later and I wanted a system that don't make me rewrite the code that manage the spell effects.

So I was thinking of a simple editor tool with button for each kind of spell effect I have and will have later. When I click on one those buttons, I can params the spell effect and add it to the List.

And for the inspector, I just need to see what there are in the List, no matter if I can't add directly a spell effect on it.

5. xXApOXx

xXApOXx

I'm a little confused. I have this code in my custom inspector :

Code (csharp):
    2. foreach (SpellEffect se in mySpellBehavior.effects)
    3. {
    4.       Debug.Log(se.GetType());
    5. }
    7. type = (SpellEffectType)EditorGUILayout.EnumPopup("Effect", type);
    8. if (GUILayout.Button("Add New Effect"))
    9. {
    10.       switch (type)
    11.       {
    12.                 case SpellEffectType.SpellEffectLife:
    13.                     mySpellBehavior.effects.Add(new SpellEffectLife(0));
    14.                     break;
    15.                 case SpellEffectType.SpellEffectLifeOverTime:
    16.                     mySpellBehavior.effects.Add(new SpellEffectLifeOverTime(0, 0.0f));
    17.                     break;
    18.      }
    19. }
    It works fine, the log(se.GetType()) display the right type. But once I launch the game and I back to edit, the log(se.GetType()) doesn't work anymore, it log SpellEffect only...

6. xXApOXx

xXApOXx

mayntos likes this.