Search Unity

Custom Editor Object Selection

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by CDF, Jan 15, 2015.

1. CDF

CDF

Hi, was wondering if it's possible to customize the selection area for an object?

I have an empty game object which has a custom class. This custom class draws a polygon in the scene view. How can I let the user click on the polygon in order to select the game object?

Mesh can do this, but I can't figure out how. Seems Gizmos can only draw cube's, line's and sphere's.

2. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

It is possible, but I never really found this straight forward to do.

Basically, the way I did it is:

- Register an EditorApplication.onSceneGUI. Maybe you can use "OnDrawGizmo" as well - (I haven't checked on this)
    - during Event.current.type == Layout call HandleUtility.AddControl to register your "distance to the mouse". You can use all the Distance* functions in HandleUtility to help calculating the correct distance. (Its probably easier to allocate an own control ID for your object)
    - In Event.current.type == MouseDown and if the HandleUtility.nearestControl is your previously registered control ID, set the selected object using Selection.activeObject.

I hope this helps. Maybe I can write some tutorial code someday... when I got time again... ^^

3. CDF

CDF

Thanks, I'll check that out