Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ira Falls

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sykoo, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Sykoo

Sykoo

NOTE: This project has currently been paused/stopped, and I am not sure if I will continue on this or not. But be sure to check out my signature below to see all my other proijects I'm working on!

Hello there, everyone!
    I'm here today to tell you guys about my upcoming first serious project on my new team I created, which stands by only me, Neirst Games!

Allen Graab, a investigative blogger who makes videos for a living, recieves a challenge to go to Ira, an island
    located in south Asia, abandoned because of the thoughts of it being cursed a while ago. By recording the island on a VCR recorder Allen brings with him, he will be able to prove that the curse of Ira is not existing. Or, maybe he will have to prove that it actually is existing?

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

Trailer #3

Want to support the development right away and help me get PRO version of Unity to make the game visually and performance-way better? You can click the PayPal Logo below to donate as much as you want! Even one dollar helps alot :)

Note: All donations will go to improve the game!

Thank you very much for checking out this topic for Ira Falls!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Eric2241 likes this.
  2. Sykoo

Sykoo

Please let me know all sorts of feedback you've got!

3. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Your story doesn't make sense for a multitude of reasons, including a lack of an actual present date. You believe you can turn any noun into a verb. You think showing an extremely early development project is a good idea. You show 6 minutes of scenery with pictures of the same thing and 0 minutes of what the actually gameplay could possibly be.

Hm .... Haven't I seen this somewhere before on this same forums over a dozen times?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Not to be a grammar nazi, but the whole story is a grammar mess

5. Eric2241

Eric2241

Oh wow this is extremely good graphics! Especially for Unity indie!! Share some of your secrets!!!

6. Eric2241

Eric2241

He can do it however he likes. As far as I'm concerned he's a great graphics dev creating amazing still in Unity Indie which is hard! Keep it up!

To antman:
    I haven't seen any of your actual game dev content.

7. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you, Eric2241, for all of your kind support :) To rest of the people:
    I am working hard with the story to make it as great as possible to understand. And English is my third language, let me know your main language?

8. Sykoo

Sykoo

By the way, there are now some thoughts of changes based upon where the player finds himself. I'm currently working on a snowy map.

9. Eric2241

Eric2241

My native language is Chinese, I was born in an English speaking country and lived in one for my whole life. I'm learning French as my third language. By the way your English is pretty good.

10. Eric2241

Eric2241

Can't wait to see it!

11. Sykoo

Sykoo

Oh nice man! Thank you so much by the way :)
    Frenc is a beautiful language in my opinion.

12. Sykoo

Sykoo

13. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yes it is, most everything sound much better in French. What's your native language?

14. Sykoo

Sykoo

My native language is Swedish and second one is Turkish. Then there comes English :)

15. primus88

primus88

I can't say anything for now other than good luck.
    All the assets are from asset store and the story is not clear for me, due to incorrect writing (no offense, it's just the truth).

I don't understand the developers that emphasize the project's showcase based on assets from asset store. It's not really your work, so telling people: "Look how nice my game is since I use someones else's work" is not a statement of your knowledge as a game developer.

16. Sykoo

Sykoo

If it's that f'd up to say that its my work when I use someones assets from the Asset store, then why is there even one? There is one, because developers will have easier to use models and all other assets on the assetstore for free.

17. Eric2241

Eric2241

Oh wow, nice!

18. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you! :)

19. Eric2241

Eric2241

Therefore with that logic anyone using art assets such as maufactra k4 assets would not have original work. I don't see a problem with using asset store assets, because they are there for a reason. If you invest in assets in the store then you've got to be at least somewhat committed as you've just spent some of your hard earned money.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  20. orb

orb

Doom 3, HL2 and STALKER shared some assets. They were bought from 3rd part suppliers. People somehow found that surprising, but if you just want some light cookies and trees, why not save time?

21. Sykoo

Sykoo

Exactly! I mean, I am still the coder of the game, which is the most important part probably in terms om development. And I do not make such a huge game like HL2 even, which means I should use the stuff I buy from the asset store which 3D modellers provides me with.

And specifically, people works for game development companies as 3D modellers. Then the developers can't say they are the ones that made the models neither, right? Haha, his logic is funny!

@primus88

LazyPoet91 and Eric2241 like this.
  22. primus88

primus88

It's nothing wrong in using asset store packages. Really nothing.
    Showcasing your project revolving only around these pre-made, widely available assets, is wrong.

When you show me a pre-made environment with a first person controller in it, that is not coding.
    Good luck.

23. Sykoo

Sykoo

Just for the record:
    1) I said in the video that I just added some decoration and my own touch to the map and it won't be 100% my primary map. It was made just for testing purposes in order to be able to show off the graphics and how it will look as I focused mostly on that even thought I'm Unity Free. But what you missunderstood is not your fault, its my as I haven't been totally clear with telling the purposes for the current 'version' of the game.

2) The game is going through alot of changes. Better to say, my thoughts around the game and how it will be built is changing alot. I will definitely add so much to the game (by my own obviously :)).

Thank you so much for your support and nice comment wrapping around my game. I really appreciate it :)

24. primus88

primus88

Sykoo, I have no problem with your project. My only fear (as I've seen some stuff on these forums) is that there are many projects starting like this. They showcase some assets and then in a month or two they shutdown the project when they get to the coding part of the game.

As long as you don't fall in this trap and keep your ambition, things will be ok.

Best of luck.

25. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hi there, primus!
    Thank you first of all for your kind comment :)
    I totally know what you mean! I've been one of those who never actaully could decide which project to start with as I had some ideas in mind. I made some prototypes of my ideas just to test them out, and Cursed Beliefs is a game I'm 100% sure to release! I am well prepared for the coding part of this game, especially! I focus alot on the graphics and visuality of the game, and wehn I'm done with the visual part I'll go for coding and make the gameplay as fun as possible!
    Thank you once again :)

26. Eric2241

Eric2241

What assets are you using?

27. Sykoo

Sykoo

I am using Pro Flares and also Winter Pack :) Then the ones from the pictures above are from Big Environment Pack!

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looks great specially using Unity Free.

29. Eric2241

Eric2241

awesome!

30. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you very very much!

Thank you! :)

Eric2241 likes this.
  31. Sykoo

Sykoo

Update 2: 2014-09-10
    Added a couple extra pictures showing the snowy map the game is going to take place in. Also considering the idea for open world as well as storyline! Suggestions?

Eric2241 likes this.
  32. primus88

primus88

The winter environment looks nice. Only thing a bit strange is the flare. A bit too much for my taste.

33. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you so much for your kind comment :) I appreciate your feedback as well, I will consider reducing it a little.

34. Sykoo

Sykoo

Update 3: 2014-09-11
    Made a really early Main Menu scene to the game as I thought it was neccessary, even in the current version of the game! There will probably be more visual stuff added there and the text(s) will be reworked (font, size and placement).

Eric2241 likes this.
  35. Sykoo

Sykoo

Let me know any sort of feedback! :)

36. Sykoo

Sykoo

The flare has been reduced on the house in the main scene.

37. Sykoo

Sykoo

Update 4: 2014-09-13
    Added a 3D Character Model for the player. It's going to be a first person game, which means that you'll look from his head to the world, and be able to see your bodyparts except head. All parts are already animated (credits to Arteria) and I will add some other animations to it! Pictures are below!

38. Sykoo

Sykoo

Update 5: 2014-09-13 (MAJOR!)
    This is probably one of the biggest updates! The game now includes a fully working day and night cycle together with a weather system. Right now, the snowy maps aren't available in the game. The storyline and the openworld will take place in the island of Paradise Parai but it will kinda be summer/autumn. Right now, the thoughts are that the game will become snowy after a while of playing the storyline! Or, I can make that there will be literally days and months passing, until you reach a specific date where it will snow for a period of time. It's under consideration, so let me know your thoughts! Also, there is now an FPS showing system on top-left corner (available in the pictures).

Now, you also have the possibility of seeing your character in first person view! Screenshots below, together with a few pictures of the new map under construction!

Reason for removal of the main map being snowy:
    It was being less colors, which led the game to have 'bad graphics' and also 'bad visual' in general! Therefore, now it provides more colors and especially with the fact that it's still going to be an exploring game, it should have great visuals, right?

39. LazyPoet91

LazyPoet91

I liked the snowy :-/ something different to all these colorful games around here

40. Sykoo

Sykoo

There will be a snowy map featured in the game. It either will be there when storyline is played, or just that as weather goes on, it will snow sometimes. I don't know, I've not thought of it yet ^^ Thank you for your feedback, though! Let me know if you got more to say as ideas etc.

41. Sykoo

Sykoo

Update 6: 2014-09-13
    The character model has temporarily been disabled (might be gone permanently). There will be FPS arms instead which makes the game look better and makes it easier to animate different types of situations!

Parkour confirmed with the FPS arms, by the way!

42. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I think you're getting negative feedback because right off the bat, your story writing is atrocious. Right away it gave me a bad vibe that this was another project someone isn't very serious about. When that happens folks will look for other things to scrutinize. I agree that if you really want to showcase something awesome it needs plenty of original content. Right now you're showcasing the work of an asset store developer. I think most devs dont understand that you ARE allowed to customize store bought assets. You dont have to use them in their stock form. If you do, people will instantly recognize "your" work from somewhere else.

43. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hi! Thank you for your reply.
    How could I write the storry in a better way, you think? I will definitely try to rework it around but I need some suggestions about how I can write it better. And the thing about assets that I'm using, I do not understand what's wrong with using other people's assets such as 3D models and make a quick map with them. I mean, is there something else I should do? Am I getting into problems if I release my game with people's assets? With problems, I mean like what people will think of me and my game. Once again, thank you so much for your constructive criticism.

Also, what would you suggest me to do? I mean I am not a modeller, even though I tried a few times and I really don't know how to animate them in a good way. I am having those models ready and building a map of them, and developing the game myself with the features etc. in -game.

44. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"How could I write the storry in a better way, you think?"

Maybe you should consider having someone else write it, someone who has experience and understanding of story structure and the use of proper English. Because what you write (even after you've changed it from what you originally wrote) is just awful to read and comprehend.

" your story writing is atrocious..."

Can't you say this in a nicer tone? Why do you have to be so mean? (sarcasm overload)

45. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to look up some sources for learning how to write the story better :)

46. Sykoo

Sykoo

Update 7: 2014-09-18
    The story has been updated briefly and also shortened. It's now easier to understand what the game goes out about, but notice that I am trying my own way of writing the game's story instead of following the regular ways. If it's not really following a 'regular structure', I'm sorry but that's the way I want the story to be written :) Thank you all for your feedback and constructive criticism so far! I appreciate and improve myself from your comments!

Eric2241 likes this.
  47. Armideon

Armideon

A lot of negative comments on here, i don't really want to add to the fray, i am just confused about how you are able to have rendered shadows and utilize blooming in your scene with Unity free? Even if you are using assets from the store. Too many people ragging on the story when in your first post your mentioned in your video your project was for learning purposes. I think it looks great and that is what a game designer is in case nobody here knows. All the assets does not have to be created by one person (that is how a game never gets made). I just am questioning the use of Unity free to get Unity pro results so fluently. Please share those details.

48. Sykoo

Sykoo

I know, I don't really understand when people does not give constructive criticism :l

Shadows are easily baked by directional light. I'm using a day-and-night system which makes the shadows real-time.
    Blooming etc. are custom shaders. But as they're not real postfx image effects, they take a bit more ram and therefore I had to optimize it alot.

I agree to the fact that the story was poorly written with so many grammar and punctuation errors, but now I've taken more time and written more. Even though its my first ever serious project that I'm gonna sell, its for learning purposes, yes :)

I really appreciate your kind words! I agree with you on the assets-part as I do not understand why I would not be able to use assets I purchase from skillfull artists which is meant to be bough and used in a game. I will create my own models as well.

Eric2241 likes this.
  49. Armideon

Armideon

Well Keep up that work. I completely forgot about baking. Are you going to get the pro license down the line? A game based on the experience through graphics needs a lot of optimization for it to run smooth. Plus with Unity 5 coming out the lighting system is getting a much needed face lift. This is a good project and you should keep at it. As far as story goes, just go with it as it comes. Too many people will say this and that about that process, but in a game like this just go with your flow, and learn how you learn. The people that have so much to say must be upset because their game project failed. Good day, ill keep an eye on this project

50. Sykoo

Sykoo

Thjank you so much for your kind words! You're really making me wanna start working on this game even more :)
    I am planning on getting pro version, yes. But for that, I think I will need to take donations first (like IndieGoGo) or just sell an early release. Thanks alot, I hope you follow the development, it'd be awesome to know that people appreciates my work :)

Eric2241 likes this.