Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cubeology and Cubeology Flags

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Munchy2007, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released Cubeology on the Play Store today.
    Facebook Page

Milestone: Cubeology for PC released 24th Sept 2018
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/872560/

Milestone: Cubeology passed 50,000 Google Play installs 13/04/2018

Cubeology is a 3D picture cube matching game in which you select pairs of cubes with matching designs to remove them, until there are no cubes left.

It has 6 different game variations, which can be played in either a cube layout or a sphere layout, with either free or fixed rotation, making for 22 game variations in total, from relaxed 'play at your own pace' to nail biting against the clock game types.

It has separate Google Play leaderboards for each of the 6 different game types and also one for the best artifact bonus scores and displays the weekly best Speed Cube user's name and time on the main menu; competition is fierce to stay on top.

Colourful graphics, catchy soundtrack and addictive gameplay make this a fun puzzle game that you keep coming back to time after time.

Includes a zoom function to make it easier to play on smaller devices.

We are currently working on a collectible item system to add to the game in a future update, along with various achievements that will reflect your progress.

Standard Game
    ---------------------

Select pairs of matching cubes until there are none left. Earn extra points by matching multiple pairs in quick succession. No time limit.

Timed Game
    ------------------

Select pairs of matching cubes until there are none left. Initially there is a 15 minute time limit in which to finish the cube. The time limit decreases by 30 seconds every time you successfully complete a game, or it increases by 30 seconds if you fail to complete the game in time.

Speed Cube
    -----------------

A fast paced game with a smaller 3x3 cube block and a 30 second time limit. How quickly can you clear the cubes, quick thinking and fast reactions will be required to top the leaderboard.

Cube Builder
    ------------------

The idea of this game is different in that you start off with just a few cubes and more are added as time goes by. The rate that cubes are added increases as time passes and the game is over when the block is fully rebuilt. Your goal in this game is to keep the block from being completed as long as possible and in doing so earn as many points as you can. As in the standard game extra points are awarded for matching pairs in quick succession.

Picture Search
    --------------------

This is a memory version of the standard game, in which all the designs are hidden and are only revealed when you click on the cubes. If you select two cubes that match they are removed as usual, otherwise the pictures are hidden again.

MatchIt!
    -----------

With this version of the game you have to find and select two cubes that have the same design as shown at the left of the screen. You have a limited time to find them and if you run out of time you will lose 10% of your current score, and you will be presented with another design to find. You can use the PASS button at the top of the screen to skip any that you are struggling to find without losing any score, but you only have 5 passes.

In all versions of the game that award points except MatchIt!, making incorrect matches will deduct some points.

Feature Graphic.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Griffo likes this.
  2. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

So it's been just over a month since Cubeology was released, and so far it's proved to be our most successful game to date, averaging around 40 installs per day on the Google Play store since its release. The number of daily active users and logins has also continued to rise during that time which suggests that users are continuing to play it past the first couple of sessions.

In the greater scheme of things it's still only small fry, but by our standards it's a real success and each game we release teaches us a bit more about the business, and hopefully is another step in the right direction.

It stopped being on the new releases ranked list a few days ago, which we thought might impact the daily installs, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case, which is a pleasant surprise.

Since release we have made a couple of small updates to improve the appearance and add a couple of new features, but so far there's been no sign of any nasty bugs that need squishing, thanks to the beta testers.

V1.02
    Added cancel button to game type selection dialog
    Cube block rotation now resets to default orientation at start of every game.
    V1.01
    Added zoom function
    Minor cosmetic adjustments

Going forward we are looking into ways that we might be able to further increase retention, by way of adding collectable items or daily rewards maybe, but without changing the core gameplay.

Cubeology.png

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Started work on a collectible items system.

The basic idea is that you will have a compendium of each of the cube designs, and for every game you complete successfully, you'll have a chance to collect one of the cubes and it will be added to your compendium (the cube design will be random, and will probably allow duplicates).

We will also add the chance to collect rare designs, which once added to your compendium will be become available in the puzzle block.

There will also be some kind of in game currency, which you will be awarded sometimes in place of a cube design, and when you collect enough of the currency you will be able to buy specific cube designs to add to your compendium to fill in the gaps. We may make it that playing the game daily also rewards some in game currency (or a low percentage chance to collect a rare cube design.)

Alongside this will be the addition of various achievements relating to your personal performance in the game and your collectible items progress.

Most of the above is still very much work in progress and may yet change as we develop things, but the hope is that it will encourage longer term game retention by adding the collection element to the game.

Looking at the stats currently the game is played by each player on average for around 30 minutes per day, which all things considered seems quite reasonable to us.

Day 1 retention hovers around the 30% mark, day 7 retention is 20% - 30%, and day 30 retention can be as high as 15% - 25%. However there are a few days when it is 0%, and it is this is that we are currently trying to address.

Regarding the above stats, it would be handy if we could get some feedback from some more established game publishers that might be reading this, so we can gauge if we are heading in the right direction, or if we are still way off the mark, and if so what kind of figures we should be aiming for.

Collectible_small.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  4. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Just uploaded Cubeology V1.025 to Google Play with the following updates:-

Speed Cube weekly top player now displayed on main menu
    Reduced frequency of interstitial adds
    Can now exit game using back button from main menu...
    Added extra instructions regarding touch controls

Available to download now

Seems to be a bit of competition to top the Speed Cube leaderboard now. When we were developing the game we thought around 11 seconds to clear it was going to be about the best we'd see.

However we've just had a 9.33 second best time posted, someone must have very fast fingers, faster than mine at any rate! :)

5. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Some screenshots of the item collection system we are adding to the game.

The way it works at the moment (and things may change, subject to play testing results) is that collected items (artifacts) will give a bonus to scoring once they have been discovered. They can be discovered randomly (rarely) after any game is completed successfully, or they can be purchased using gold and artifact fragments.

Gold is randomly awarded after completion of successful games and artifact fragments are awarded once daily.

Image8_sml.png Image9_sml.png Image10_sml.png Image11_sml.png

6. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released V 1.05 today :)
    Play Store Button.png

Now features the new Artifact collection system.

Upon successful completion of games you have a chance to gain gold, artifact fragments or whole artifacts.
    Collected artifacts are stored in your artifact compendium and give a bonus to your score when you match cubes with the same design as the artifact. The more your collection grows the greater the potential score bonus.

You can also collect gold and artifact fragments, which you can trade for any artifacts you are missing from your collection.

Some artifacts give a greater bonus score than others (but have a greater gold and fragments cost), and collecting multiples of the same artifact will further increase the bonus it gives.

There have also been a number of graphical updates and sound effects added, along with some minor bug fixes and tweaks.

Image14.png

Image12.png

7. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released a new update today

V1.0537
    Rolling display of weekly top scores for all game types on main menu
    Minor GFX updates
    Increased score rate for Cube Builder game
    Minor bug fixes

Our user base continues to grow, even if not at stellar speeds, but we are up to 1.5k active monthly users now, with 300 - 400 daily sessions on average and around 30 minutes average daily play time per player.

Cubology

8. Mr-GamingWatch

Mr-GamingWatch

Glad to hear your story about this!

I'm happy for you guys and I really like how you've implemented your idea for the game.

Excellent job guys! I look forward to seeing more of your updates!

9. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Thanks Mr-GamingWatch,

the last 8 months has been quite a learning curve for us. Speaking from experience, it's very easy when developing a new idea for a game to fall into the trap of thinking 'this is great , everyone's going to love it' only to find out that they don't. But at least with this one we seem to have found something that maintains interest beyond the first few minutes.

Interestingly though, now for the first time we are experiencing increased pressure to make sure we don't break anything when we release an update. In the past we were only risking annoying a handful of people if we broke the game with a new release, but now, in comparison, it's a fairly substantial number. There's an increasing amount of apprehension when we release an update now which I imagine can only get worse as the user numbers grow.

But all things considered, we are really happy with the way it's going, and in general we've had nice feedback. I'll continue to update this thread with our progress.

Cubology

Facebook Page

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  10. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Continuing work on the next update, apart from a few minor bug fixes and readjustment of gold and artifact fragment award rates the next major addition to the game is achievements. Initially there will be around 50 achievements added, with more to follow in future updates.

One other thing we are considering is the option of an In App Purchase to remove the ads, but not having implemented IAPs previously we are a little unsure how to proceed.

We are thinking along the lines of using Unity's IAP system with a purchasable item from Google Play. But what we are unsure of is the how to make the record of the purchase persistent.

The easiest way is obviously to store a value in playerprefs on the device. We can use obfuscation to make it harder for people to edit the data file and disable the ads without making a purchase, so from that point of view it should be reasonably secure. However if the game was uninstalled or the data cleared, the user would have to re-purchase the IAP to disable the ads again. It also means that the ads are removed on a per device basis, rather than a per user basis, and we aren't sure how this would be viewed.

So we also considered making the ads removal IAP unlock an achievement, which can then be checked when the user next signs in, and it will only show the ads if the achievement isn't unlocked. This has the benefit that once purchased, the user can play ad free on any device that he signs into with his Google Play user account, and also it will remember the purchase if the game is uninstalled and subsequently re-installed.

Of course, once the ad removal has been purchased, if the game is played where there's no internet connection, it won't be able to check the achievement, however without internet the ads can't show anyway, so that won't present a problem.

So on the face of it, the second option seems the best at the moment, but before we go any further I'd be interested to hear how other people approach this, and maybe get some suggestions as to how we might be better off tackling the problem.

Edit: I've made a post about this in the IAP purchases forum now, where it might be more likely to receive help http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/first-iap-advice-needed.428026/

Cubology

Facebook Page

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  11. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

The achievements are about 75% done now, most of them have been added to Google Play and the majority of the code to handle them is in place and has been tested. Need to make some artwork for the various icons now.

The In App Purchases are almost finished now too. In the end I couldn't go with Unity's IAP service, as I couldn't get it to work alongside Google Mobile Ads, so I used an asset from the store called MobyShop, I found it really easy to integrate into my existing project and although it comes with a comprehensive example UI it was very easy to adapt it to use my own graphics, which I wanted to do to keep things looking consistent. For anyone that is new to IAP I'd thoroughly recommend it.

12. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

New version of Cubeology released.

Release highlights:-
    42 achievements to earn
    In App Purchases - including ability to disable ads
    Bug fixes

shop1.png shop2.png

Cubology

Facebook Page

13. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Version 1.0558 Released

Added new game mode - MatchIt!
    12 new achievements
    Substantial buff to artifact bonus points
    Minor tweaks and bug fixes

MatchIt!
    -----------

With this version of the game you have to find and select two cubes that have the same design as shown at the left of the screen. You have a limited time to find them and if you run out of time you will lose 10% of your current score, and you will be presented with another design to find. You can use the PASS button at the top of the screen to skip any that you are struggling to find without losing any score, but you only have 5 passes.

Get it on Google Play
    Ad Banner.png

14. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Version 1.0561 Released

Added mute button to main screen
    Added cloud saving of game progress to enable transferring game progress to a different device.

Get it on Google Play
    Ad Banner.png

15. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I finally got around to addressing what I considered was a performance problem. The issue lay with the fact that when I first designed the game I had all the cube designs as separate textures, as I hadn't figured out a way to map different parts of a texture atlas to different instances of a Unity primitive cube.

The upshot of this was a very high batch and setpass count as so:-
    Batches1.png

This resulted in around 30fps on my Samsung Galaxy S4 without vSync enabled, which although was quite playable it meant the phone was working flat out to achieve this, which I wasn't happy about.

So I made an atlas texture of all the separate images and assigned it to a new material, and then set to work on working out how to map the different parts of it to the different cubes. After spending a few fruitless hours trying to work out how the UV mapping was set up on Unity cube, I finally realised I didn't actually need to know; all I did need to know was whether the value was a zero or a one, and then just substitute those values with the offsets from the atlas texture depending on the tile number.

This is the UV remapper class I came up with.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class CubeUVMapper : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     Vector2[] default_uvs;
    3.     Mesh mesh;
    4.     Vector3[] vertices;
    6.     void Awake () {
    7.         mesh = GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh;
    8.         vertices = mesh.vertices;
    9.         default_uvs = mesh.uv;
    10.     }
    12.     public void MapUV(Material material, int tileCountX, int tileCountY, int tileNum)
    13.     {
    14.         GetComponent<Renderer>().sharedMaterial = material;
    16.         float offsetX = 1f / tileCountX;
    17.         float offsetY = 1f / tileCountY;
    19.         float startx = offsetX * (tileNum % tileCountX);
    20.         float endx = startx + offsetX;
    22.         float starty = offsetY * ((int)((tileNum) / (float)tileCountX));
    23.         float endy = starty + offsetY;
    25.         Vector2[] uvs = new Vector2[vertices.Length];
    27.         for (int n = 0; n < mesh.uv.Length; n++)
    28.         {
    29.             uvs[n] = default_uvs[n];
    30.             if (uvs[n].x == 0) uvs[n].x = startx;
    31.             if (uvs[n].x == 1) uvs[n].x = endx;
    32.             if (uvs[n].y == 0) uvs[n].y = starty;
    33.             if (uvs[n].y == 1) uvs[n].y = endy;
    34.         }
    36.         mesh.uv = uvs;
    37.     }
    39.     public void ResetUVs()
    40.     {
    41.         mesh.uv = default_uvs;
    42.     }
    43. }
    I just pass in a reference to the atlas texture material, the horizontal and vertical tile count and the tile number and use these values to calculate the UV values for the tile, which are then plugged into the MeshFilter.

This is the result of all the cubes using the same shared material:-
    Batches2.png

The block of 216 cubes is now drawn in a single batch, the rest of the batches resulting from the UI elements in the scene, but 7 batches and 5 setpass calls is a big improvement.

Strictly speaking the material assignment at the first line of the function isn't necessary, if all the objects already share the same material, but I needed to be able to change the material on the cubes to implement one of the game variations.

The game now runs on my Galaxy S4 at 60 fps without vSync, which means I can set the vSync count to 2 and have the game run at a steady 30fps, which I hope may result in less battery drain.

I haven't released this version yet, as it's still undergoing testing, but so far it's looking good and the update was time well spent I think.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    yyylny and Doug_B like this.
  16. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released a new Cubeology update to open beta. If you aren't already a tester and you want to try it out you can sign up here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.doofah.cubeology

V1.0562 Release highlights:-
    Improved graphics performance
    Reduced battery drain
    Improved handling of hi-scores when not signed into Google Play
    Implemented increasing daily reward for consecutive logins
    Substantially increased rewards for watching rewarded videos
    Added top artifact bonus to rolling weekly score display
    Added 12 new achievements
    Added new leaderboard for total artifacts collected
    Other minor bug fixes and improvements

Ad Banner.png

17. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

Good job man :)

18. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Thanks Fortitude :)

Some good news for us, over the last couple of weeks or so Cubeology has made it into the Google Play Top Free Puzzle charts for UK, US, Canada and Australia, and it's continuing to rise. As a consequence we've seen the daily install rate climb from around 20-30 a day this time last year to it's current figure of around 600-700 a day (rapid increase since entering the top 500 chart ranking).

Retained install figure is around 35% after 30 days, which is about 12% above the median and we've got many users still regularly playing after well over a year. Average daily play time per user has been consistently around 40 minutes throughout.

Still working on the new beta version and one of the graphics performance improvements involved looking at the UI, as there seemed to be some issues with it.

Never previously having seen anything to suggest we should do otherwise, we had designed the entire UI on a single canvas, and just enabled and disabled parts of it depending on what we wanted to show at any point in time. We came to that design choice because, in the main, wherever graphics are involved, having everything 'batched' is usually the best way to go.

How wrong we were! It seems that where the UI is concerned, the polar opposite is true, as explained in this excellent Unite video presentation (UI stuff towards the end of the video).

As a result of watching this we have considerably redesigned the hierarchy for our UI, which should result in increased efficiency and further reductions in battery drain.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  19. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released Cubeology V1.0565 update.

Improved graphics performance.
    Reduced battery drain.
    Improved handling of hi-scores when not signed into Google Play.
    Implemented increasing daily reward for consecutive logins.
    Substantially increased rewards for watching rewarded videos.
    Added artifact fragment rewards to treasure chest.
    Added top artifact bonus to rolling weekly display.
    12 new achievements.
    Added new leaderboard for total artifacts collected.

en-play-badge 150px.png

20. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released Cubeology V1.0566 to fix a bug in the program flow which affected new users under certain circumstances.
    Also changed some settings to make use of the Unity Remote Settings system, so we can fine tune some of the aspects of the game without having to release an update each time. It also affords us the opportunity to be able to run 'events' where in-game rewards are increased for short periods of time.

Whilst I'm at it I thought it might be a good time to do a bit of a timeline/progress report of install counts as it's coming up to two years since we first released Cubeology.

June 16th 2016 - Released Cubeology
    June 20th 2016 - 10+ installs
    June 21st 2016 - paid $100 to Appbrain to advertise the game
    June 22nd 2016 - 500+ installs
    July 25th 2016 - 1000+ installs

Install rate was fairly low for most of the rest of the year at around 2-10 per day, but it continued to get good ratings and reviews and a fairly good long term retention rate, which I suppose was slowly helping it work its way up the charts.

By September 2017 the install rate had risen to around 20 per day, so I decided it might be worth giving it a bit of a kick with another $100 advertising through Appbrain, bidding for the US market I only got around 100 extra installs for my money, however the daily install rate following that rose to around 30.

I then did another $100 in October and another $100 in November, each time the daily install rate following the advertising stayed at a higher rate than before and by the middle of December I was averaging 100-120 per day, rising to around 200 per day by the end of December.

June 10th 2017 - 5000+ installs
    December 26th 2017 - 10000+ installs

In early Feb this year Cubeology made it into the top 500 ranking for US, UK and a couple of other countries at which point daily installs had a big jump and are currently running at between 700 - 850 and no sign of dropping, and as a consequence we've just passed the 35000 install mark on the Play Store.

This has come as quite a surprise, mainly because when we first looked into publishing mobile games around 4 years ago, I read a number of articles that suggested the majority of installs and income would come in the first few months after release, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

In the grand scheme of things this is still very small numbers, but as good as anything we were realistically hoping for.

Going forward we've got a number of ideas for additions to the collectables system that we hope will help maintain long term retention.

en-play-badge 150px.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  21. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Passed 50,000 Google Play installs today :)

Active installs is pushing 20,000 still and daily sessions played is currently around 8,500, with average session times per user at 40-45 minutes, so total daily played time has just passed 100 days, which is another milestone :)

On a slightly different note, we're currently working on updates for Cubeology's sister app, Cubeology Flags.

Cubeology Flags works on the same premise as the original, except it has flag images (unsurprisingly), and an additional mini game based on flag recognition.

The back end for Cubeology Flags is GameSparks rather than Google Play Game Services, which I prefer, for the main reason that it doesn't require players to sign in with a profile to access leaderboards and achievements; It's also better for storing game progress remotely.

It requires a bit more work when it comes to leaderboards, because there is no built in UI provided, so you have to roll your own, but that's not a major issue and the leaderboard system itself is very flexible.

The same applies to achievements, with the added caveat that the supplied achievement system is a bit limited for my purposes, so I've had to develop my own from the ground up; But the ability to run cloud code in the GameSparks back end also makes this secure and fairly straightforward to implement.

The main Cubeology Flags work is currently centered on improving the UI performance for the leaderboards (based on tips provided in the video in post #18), the achievement system and UI, daily rewards, additions to the collectibles system and addition of IAP; So a fair bit to do still :p

We are also working on the addition of more game types for both versions and are in the very early stages of designing another variant that will have some completely new features, but it's too early to go into much detail about that.

So all in all a fairly busy few months ahead I think :)

Also, if anyone is looking for a convenient way to convert between a GameSparks cloud code time value and c# System.DateTime here's a couple of functions that might come in handy...

Code (CSharp):
    2.         public static System.DateTime? GSDateValueToDateTime(long? gsDateValue)
    3.         {
    4.             if (gsDateValue == null) return null;
    6.             var baseDate = new System.DateTime(1970, 1, 1);
    7.             var span = System.TimeSpan.FromMilliseconds(gsDateValue.GetValueOrDefault());
    8.             return baseDate.Add(span);
    10.         }
    12.         public static long DateTimeToGSDateValue(System.DateTime date)
    13.         {
    14.             return (long)(date - new System.DateTime(1970, 1, 1)).TotalMilliseconds;
    15.         }

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  22. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Released Cubeology Flags V1.041 to open beta, if anyone fancies helping test it the beta signup is here https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.doofah.cubeologyflags (if you PM me your email I'll add you as a test account so you can buy IAP without being charged.)

This version has the following additions and updates amongst other things:-
    Added achievements.
    Added IAP and Ad removal.
    Fixed bug that made the leaderboard unresponsive.
    Added Daily bonus.
    Added second virtual currency to collectables system.
    Added ability to create username/password to allow synchronisation of game progress between different devices.
    Bug fixes and optimisations

The original Cubeology still continues to do well, has now passed the 60k install mark and gets predominantly very good reviews, this particular one made us smile...

Hope Ziemba
    This game should be arrested for murder because it kills time. Very relaxing
    way to pass time.

23. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

24. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Some screenshots from the PC version of Cubeology that will be released on steam.

We will be looking to start beta testing soon and if you'd like to participate in the test send an email to support@doofah.com requesting a beta test key. We'll send out the keys once the beta test starts.
    Image1.png
    Image2.png

Image3.png
    Image4.png

25. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

We are now conducting a small closed beta test of the PC version of Cubeology. Anyone that would like to participate can email support@doofah.com to request a Steam key.

Main Screen 1.png

26. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Cubeology for PC release date 24th September 2018, visit the store page to add to your wish list

https://store.steampowered.com/app/872560/

We've still got a few beta keys remaining if anyone wants to try out the PC version on Steam. Send me a PM or email support@doofah.com to request a key. Beta keys will remain active even after the game is released :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018