Search Unity

Creature Seekers: Prehistoric Era - 3D optimized game for toddlers

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by RetroStyleGames, Jun 17, 2016.

1. RetroStyleGames

RetroStyleGames

Hey guys, we have released our new game designed for kids (0 to 5 year).

Currently Paid version is "soft-launched" at Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrostylegames.creatureseekers
    Free version + iOS and Amazon are coming next week.

If you have kids or friend's with children, we hope they will enjoy it.

Here are some promo codes:
    Y9URMAC9QDLCXW9678TYXU0
    9UXCCRM85416E10QQTR008P
    B1CZKN9SV4CAD5GSL90EHMB
    7DRBRF68B9PMAAMAZE2PPTF
    UXLPG7KMS67AXPMDCTBXCDU
    8KAK40LR93EH0DUMESCKCP1
    GMBAGMH06X6F6P98UQT4M5Q
    3GAPD66MV6XX6YHFZ90XZTE​
    (please, leave review if you use one)

All the animals are rigged/skinned/cutout 3D mesh with clever texture atlas usage.
    We use blended animations, vertex painted shadows to save on resources and with 46 Mb of APK size look as HQ 200-300 Mb application.

Enjoy!

2. RetroStyleGames

RetroStyleGames

Some WIP images for those who can be curious:

3. RetroStyleGames

RetroStyleGames

All the characters and backgrounds were packed (manually) to texture atlases. A lot of assets were re-used amount completely different scenes. Usage of vertex-painted shadows/gradients helped us to save on resources while keeping graphics HQ.

4. Emre_U

Emre_U

Hi There I will try this on my 2 years old baby boy. But it needs time as mother should permit (and this is the hardest part of making a game for toddlers :) )

I will also drop feedback when I have checked it Though it looks awesome! I have used 3GAPD66MV6XX6YHFZ90XZTE

5. RetroStyleGames

RetroStyleGames

Hey, awesome, thank you for sound fx bug report.

Our baby-girl isn't allowed to spend that much time with tablet too, but when we need 5-10 minutes for some urgent stuff - such kind of games work really good!

Emre_U likes this.
  6. Bending-Unit-22

Bending-Unit-22

Used:
    Will crash test this on my kids and write back later in the evening ;], as for dad, nice job here you achieved cute animations with great sound effects.

I have never compiled anything for android yet (can also imagine that feature like this might be blocked by OS) .. but your game for such young ones could benefit form locking System Buttons option in settings, so kids wouldn't hit parents with not working phone during a nap.

after short period exposure (<2years):

Well they where greatly attracted and entertained, but as suspected could not stay 10 seconds on right screen but returning all the time to main menu or start screen. I think that after hitting particular animal for a minute or so, maybe there should be some automated jump to next one with blinking in middle delay that command button :)

Any way nice game :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. RetroStyleGames

RetroStyleGames

Bending,
    thank you for warm words and testing :D

Actually in Options (main menu) of the game we have Locked Pause function. Which helps to keep kids on one scene and prevent accidental clicks on Back button.
    Most likely we cannot block Android's menu buttons (in case you mean that).

8. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Oh my gosh that looks freaking adorable, haha. Just gave me a billion ideas. The wife and I are planning on kids soon and this game just got me a little more excited about it. Can't wait to see them engage in stuff like this.

9. RetroStyleGames

RetroStyleGames

Hey, thank you for kind words :D Doing something cool for your baby is really cool and rewarding! We did that game partially for my own baby girl ^_^