Search Unity

Create heightmap in GIMP

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by christinanorwood, Jul 6, 2014.

1. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I've just posted an article on How to create a heightmap in GIMP for use in a Unity terrain. I'll be adding other, non-scripting, articles to that menu category in future so sometime down the track you may need to scroll to the end to find this particular article.

SpectralRook likes this.
  2. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I think I've found a way to create 16-bit raw files using free software. More experimentation needed but looks promising. It's late here so I'll look into it tomorrow.

3. tawdry

tawdry

Um tomorrow passed overa year ago lol i'm looking for a way to convert to 16 bit raw did You figure it out?

4. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Whoa, a response to my thread! Such a high level of interest. Check out the link in the OP for the information you seek. Posted over a year ago.

5. tawdry

tawdry

Thx mate i actually found it just after typing my response lol.Spent hours looking that and a fiji thing that was 200 mb more took minutes longer to load and was the exact same thing down to the menu in the end. But thx for the info now trying to figure out how to use the raw save in blender to go directly to unity which has failed up to now.

6. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I don't think there's any format that Blender outputs that Unity can use directly. Perhaps save from Blender as a 16-bit BW png or tiff and use ImageJ to convert to 16-bit BW raw format, which Unity can use.

7. tawdry

tawdry

It says only saves in 8 bit b&w and it also has a tiff-raw output and a raw faces file save which i don't know how to setup so it works in unity or anything really. Saving as 16 bit rgb png then converting in imagej

8. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner