Search Unity

Create a Macintosh build on the PC

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by icemacsea, Dec 18, 2010.

1. icemacsea

icemacsea

The title sums it up pretty good -- does anyone out there have experience developing on the PC and then successfully creating a Macintosh build? My game works fine on the PC and I just created a Macintosh build to test out on my new MacBook Pro. I transferred the file to the Mac and it appears to be a bona-fide Mac app, but I get nothing when I try to open it. No error message, nothing. Is there anywhere I can look for a error log? Do I need to do a debug build for this?
    Thanks.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Did you ensure to zip the .app folder before transfering? its known that apple has some trouble with straight tranfers.

alternatively use dropbox that normally works too (can give you a referral so you get 250mb more for free which gets you another few builds ;))

3. icemacsea

icemacsea

Well, I didn't do anything to the file after building it, but the only way I could find to get it to my Mac was using Dropbox, as a matter of fact. (Love that program!) When I uploaded the file to my webserver, the link didn't work on my Mac, so maybe I should zip it up before uploading?

Anyway, once I moved it with Dropbox, it seemed like a genuine Mac app and it definitely tries to open when I click on it. And I can look inside the package and it seems like all the files are there. But it just doesn't run, no error message, nothing.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

yeah if you download from website, then you must zip it up or it will fail basically cause the folder will go nuts on that path normally.

if you use the dropbox to sync between the systems (dropbox 1.0.10 that was released this week has selective folder sync so in case you are worried due to harddisk usage, you can now avoid this :)), then it normally works fine

As I need to do OSX builds pretty regularly, I invested in TransMac and generate DMGs on windows for mac usage among the team / customers

5. icemacsea

icemacsea

Selective folder sync in dropbox! Man, that's great news. I'll have to update my version.

So TransMac makes it easier to do OSX builds in Windows? But generally speaking, it does work to simply build a Unity Mac app on a Windows computer?

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

Yupp generally speaking building an osx unity application on windows is no problem, you only have to zip it up if you transfer it through webdownload or through network drives.

7. icemacsea

icemacsea

So you can zip it on the PC and the Mac will know what to do with it? Or does the user need to unzip it manually after downloading? Sorry, I am such a noob on Mac matters.

Do you know if there's any kind of error log that I can check on my Mac to see what's going on when my app fails to launch?

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

The user will need to unzip it but that happens automatically if he double clicks it.

there is an error log, its in your users library/logs/unity folder. But given what you see I'm pretty sure it wouldn't contain anything as it sounds more like OSX not finding / starting your app at all, otherwise you would at least get the graphical window before it fails.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you want to get immediate feedback, you can run Terminal and launch the app from the command line. Launch Terminal, type "cd " (with the space after "cd"), drag your app onto the terminal window to add the path, backspace once to get rid of the space at the end, then add "/Contents/MacOS" and hit return. Type "ls" to see the contents of the directory. Then type "./MyApp" or whatever it's called to launch it.

You can also run Console and look in Files, ~/Library/Logs, Unity, Player.Log, though I don't know if any errors generated before the app launched would show up there.

--Eric

10. icemacsea

icemacsea

Well, thanks, now I seem to be getting somewhere. The app name turned out to have a space in it and when I tried to run it from Terminal, it only seemed to see the first word, so it said "No such file ..." So I fixed the space and tried again, this time it said, "Permission denied". Surely I can fix that?

11. icemacsea

icemacsea

Well, I managed to give read/write permission to Everyone on this file (which shouldn't have mattered, since my account already had read/write permission). I did the same thing to the folder or actual package file, whatever it is. But no luck. Terminal still tells me "permission denied". I'm going to check those logs now.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

About the app name having a space in it, if you didn't want to remove it, you can use "\ " (backslash-space) to escape the space when typing the name in Terminal. Anyway, you built on PC, zipped it, transferred it to Mac, unzipped it? Because that should work. Also the logs won't have anything, since the app isn't even launching.

--Eric

13. icemacsea

icemacsea

Yup! That did it. I followed your instructions to the letter and that did it. Whether or not you use Dropbox, you need to go ahead and zip it up first. Not sure why, but that did the trick. It works perfectly on my Mac, which is so amazing to me. Thanks, Eric5h5 and dreamora!

14. _alia_

_alia_

The execute(+x) permission is lost in the transfer. chmod +x blah.app/Contents/MacOS/blah
    shoudl fix it

15. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

Hmmm, I'm having the same issue... I used the 7z format when compressing, but won't open on an intel mac... yet works fine on my eMac... odd.

16. Dreamora

Dreamora

did you download the current version of the 7 zip software from 7-zip org especially if you used the 9.xx versions which offer lzma2 which I think is otherwise not supported?

17. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe

Hi, yeah... latest version. I compressed to zip, rather than a .7z and it works :) Cheers!

18. sevensails

sevensails

Same problem here now!

Compressed to zip before moving helped, but not solved the problem.

Now I got - "Service exited with abnormal code : 173".

Any ideas?

19. ev3d

ev3d

I am also getting "Service exited with abnormal code : 173". i can't find anything (besides this) that mentions the issue

20. sevensails

sevensails

Try to disable "Mac App Store" on Publishing Settings.

21. ev3d

ev3d

22. renman3000

renman3000

Hi,
    I am getting the same issue, "permission denied", as I am attempting to access the Unity, Editor, Logs on my OSX.

~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log

Is what I am told to enter into the terminal, however, a quick check reveals that no Unity folder exists in the Logs folder.

??
    Reinstall??? Please answer asap if possible. Not really into a full reboot.
    Thanks
    Ren

23. jstzwd

jstzwd

For future reference, if you already used chmod command to edit the permission of your game executable file under macOS folder, but it stills pops out permission denied from Terminal, you can check your Mac system logs from Console. For me it shows my file extractor has put my game in quarantine because of the lack of user consent, so I used another extracting software, do chmod again, and it worked. Hope this can help if someone come across the same situation. Cheers.

24. renman3000

renman3000

I gather the computer console, dedicated too Unity, via the Unity Editor, Console Window, Console Log.