Search Unity

Games Crash Co. - A Spiritual Successor to Blast Corps

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Besus, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Besus

Besus

Demolition. Destruction. Chaos. Speed. These words best describe what Crash Co. is all about.

Control over a transport carrying an experimental dark matter weapon has been lost and unfortunately it still remains in motion. Your mission is to prevent a collision (leading to a global catastrophe) by destroying any and everything that can get in its way! If this premise sounds familiar, then you likely played Blast Corps on the Nintendo 64. My goal with Crash Co. is to deliver a re-imagining of this experience while improving on any aspects that I can.

You will accomplish the task at-hand by controlling a variety of vehicles, from bulldozers and helicopters to a variety of mechs. When not clearing the path for the transport, there is a range of mini-games to partake in, including: races, demolition derbys, sidescroller shoot-em-ups, and even running platformers (akin to BIT.TRIP Runner).

• Multiple vehicles ranging from helicopters, to bulldozers, and even Mech’s.
    • A wide range of mini-games that are hidden and waiting to be unlocked.
    • Simple and responsive arcade-style handling of the vehicles.
    • Varied environments and scenarios requiring puzzle solving skills as well as destruction.
    • That always satisfying feeling of destroying things!

Crash Co. Greenlight Trailer

For regular updates and posts detailing the development of this game, check-out the official development blog at: StudioBesus.com and for specific game information, the official Crash Co. site: CrashCoGame.com.

I don't always write extensive posts on my development blog (as they are usually much more detailed than tweets/posts), so for the most up-to-date information on development:

Follow me on Twitter: @StudioBesus
    Like and follow me on Facebook: Facebook.com/StudioBesus

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

It really reminds me Blast Corps and it looks great.
    I would avoid using the same world map system and view to avoid any copyrights problems.
    Keep the good work :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    Besus likes this.
  3. zenGarden

zenGarden

4. Besus

Besus

Original post updated to reflect the current status of the game (updated information, images, the greenlight trailer, as well as new graphics)!

5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I liked blast corps, and this looks like it's doing justice to that kind of game. Good work!

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

The game is so fun and well made, i'll buy it.
    I seen some mini games on the trailer, the character runner platforming was strange , what it is ?

7. Besus

Besus

Thanks! And it's a side quest mini-game (like the races, demolition derby, etc); a running platformer akin to BIT.TRIP Runner.

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good. Let me know when you'll have a new demo i would like to play and test :)

9. Besus

Besus

Since the last public demo release, there have been a number of changes to Crash Co.; from bug fixes to gameplay tweaks. First and foremost the gameplay tweak; the bulldozer now works more like the bulldozer from Blast Corps. Previously, near-full speed was required to bring down a building. Now however, minimal speed is needed but there is a random chance for bounce back. This not only makes the bulldozer feel better to the player, but also more powerful as you no longer need to "loop around" to pick up enough momentum to keep on wrecking. In addition, how the vehicle bounces upon landing has been tweaked (translation: less awkward) as well.

This demo also features a handful of new levels (including hidden bonus levels) that lets you try out the newer vehicles. First up is the new mech Cyclone who uses a powerful spin attack to bring down buildings in its path:

Second is another new mech Compression who uses its heavily armored legs to slam down on to objects beneath it. Just boost/jump in to the air and hold the fire button to stay slamming down:

As previously mentioned, the bulldozer gameplay has been tweaked, but it also received an entirely new model:

With the vehicle changes covered, I'll go ahead and sum up the other changes included in this build:

• A vehicle select screen before races to let you choose the vehicle you think will best suit the race.
    • Unlockable vehicles to be used in races.
    • New bonus games, including a shoot-'em-up and a running platformer akin to BIT.TRIP Runner.
    • Vehicle tutorials that let you know how to use the vehicle you just entered (and only the first time that you enter it).
    • Updated building models, sporting greatly increased detail and reflections!
    • Additional effects (for example when destroying fences and trees).

If you find any bugs, have any suggestions, or would just like to share your opinion on the game, please let me know!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    MD_Reptile and RavenOfCode like this.
  10. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is so much new things, this is awesome :)
    I like the bulldozer, it looks great and fun to play, i'll give you my feedback within some days.

11. Besus

Besus

Added a Linux build of the beta demo (download link in the original download post)!

12. Besus

Besus

First and foremost, a big thanks to everyone who has supported Crash Co. on Steam Greenlight! We could still use more votes though!

Now on to the fun stuff; the updates. There are 2 new vehicles (one of which was seen in the Greenlight trailer) but was still in the concept stages at that point. First up is a rolling ball (which controls like any ball rolling game - Marble Blast Ultra for example) currently named: Destructorb. While rolling you can charge forward which will inflict a small amount of damage, but for ultimate destruction you will want to launch yourself off of a ramp.

Now about that other vehicle features in the Greenlight trailer, the hybrid tank currently named Spitfire. It controls like any other vehicle with wheels, however you have the ability to rapidly fire missiles (which while not as powerful as those fired from the attack helicopter, you can fire them much faster).

Finally on the vehicle front, I completely overhauled the gimmick behind Compression, the mech who slams down on to buildings. Instead of jumping ledges to get to the height needed, you can just scale the wall!

Finally I have 2 more levels in a near-finished state. A park/forest which will host the attack helicopter (tossing around the name Firefly for it at the moment) and takes place during a thunderstorm:

And another downtown/industrial area set at night which will play host to Spitfire (also hiding Compression somewhere in this level). This one is currently the largest I have made thus far and I plan to include some multi-step puzzles in order to fully clear it.

These updates are showcased in a quick video showcase update I did, and I plan to do more of these throughout the development cycle.

zenGarden likes this.
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good work.
    Still i don't understand it is night or day in the video ? We see lightened grass floor and super dark buildings area ?

I don't like the lightening and shadowing, perhaps you should use some mid sunny day with some clouds and some light rain instead ?
    Trees should be lit , they are too black, well it is Unity lightening the problem not your work unfortunatelly.

About the walking tank, you need to add some effects under the foots when the tank is in walk or climb mode. Why not some shadow and SSAO ? Small damage decals on surfaces ?
    I don't like the orange tank color, yellow, white or grey would feet better to the game overall design and vehicles i think.
    The new tank model and textures style (baught from Asset Store) is too different from the ones you uses in your game , this result in non consistent 3D art and it is visible.
    (do you have some ne demo for testers ? )

Keep up the good work.

Great , day one buy for me :)

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  14. Besus

Besus

Thanks for the feedback @zenGarden, but please keep in mind that these levels are works-in-progress, so the lighting is basic. Nothing more has been done with it beyond tweaking the directional light and ambient light to get a base time (often brighter than the final so I can still see while working on it). The terrain shader for that night level is set brighter as well, again so I can see as I edit it.

As for the mech, I still need to fine-tune the animation calls (he still walks while standing still on walls for example) and that gif was made from captured footage on my work computer (running integrated graphics so I had to turn them down to the bare minimum to capture it). I don't plan on changing the colors as all of the vehicles use the orange/yellow to indicate that they are meant for construction (or in this case, destruction). Do you really think the art style is that different though...? I could see on the tank, but I haven't tweaked the texture on it yet to match the color style.

15. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

I tried to download Windows demo. I got an error on opening the ZIP.

16. zenGarden

zenGarden

I understand now.

They are almost similar , but the tank has more textures hight lights than the others. I mean fake specular is more pronounced on the new tank than other vehicles. The tank is orange while others are yellow, this looks strange. Perhaps you'll include some vehicle color choice when we start the game or choose a mission ?

It works on indieDB.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  17. zenGarden

zenGarden

It was quick feedback. I played the game againg and i have a list of things that could be improved :

- There is lot of flickering lights or shadows on the running title screen demo ? It is Unity problem

- When a mission start we see red colored houses to destroy, sometimes only some parts are red, a possible display bug ? Some big red outline on the houses would look better and more pro than coloring the houses in red.

- When we finish successfully a mission the menu has "exit" i thaught it was game exit.
    For example "return to map" would feet lot better than "exit".

- The big robot has a different way of gameplay from the tank , why ? I expected we accelerate with a button and choose direction with stick like the tank. Why it accelerates automatically in the direction we push ? This is weird to have such gameplay variation

- I didn't understand the robot attacks ? He seems to laucnh something that deflect on surfaces, we can throw two or three than the robot can't strike with is punches and do nothing. I had no clue what to do i left playing that mission

- The Clay Canion level has a grass texture that looks very repetitive pattern, perhaps some less visible texture pattern would work better or mixing another grass texture would hide it or using cliffs 3D models also

- On the Clay Canion, playing with the motorcycle is fun, but the top down view needed to be less near the floor , because i hadn't lot of visibility. Also there is no indications on the road where we must go like no lights , no fences, and when there is some jumping it would be good to have some indications on the floor indicating we must jump with the moto.

- Same Clay Canyon, i didn't know what to do with the helicopter ? I fired missiles at the tunnel exit or entrance, but i oculd not destroy it and i had no more missiles, i just left playing it.

- Perhaps some vehicles could have a bigger inertia to add a little touch of realism.

- What is the purpose of the money we win ? Is there some future colors, upgrades or nex characters and vehicles variations to unlock ?

Overall the game is lot of fun.

18. Besus

Besus

Appreciate the feedback there @zenGarden! This is why I release early playable builds. :) But I need to ask, did you ever play the original Blast Corps? A lot of your comments are things that the original game did. I am going to clarify everything down the line for newcomers as well, but for now it was just a matter of getting the base functionality added in.

To follow up on some of your comments, the robots handle like the character does. I have never played a game where you propel a robot forward with a button then steer him like a car. The maps contain puzzles to solve so it's not just a matter of repetitive demolition through the whole game. Use X vehicle to do Y task to allow you to get Z vehicle, for example. I give the player subtle hints using things like the opening flyby or placement of objects.

The money will serve a purpose, I just haven't implemented it yet. :)

19. zenGarden

zenGarden

No, but why should you stick so much to the original ? Make some imrpoved and better version.

Because it is a robot , it is a vehicle i expected a gameplay similar to the cartepillar because they are very similar.
    So why other vehicles have a button to make them go forward ? Should not every vehicle be handled the smae way without any button to go forward like the character ? I am thinking about homogenous intuitive gameplay when you take another vehicle, not original gameplay.

That's sounds good.
    I would expect hidden rewards in the level, and some you can only get destroying a specific tree or building.
    Give us some customisations or some enhancements or alternative vehicles, this will appeal lot more to play the game.

20. Besus

Besus

Oh of course, but I was referring to making use of multiple vehicles to solve puzzles to clear the path. Part of the originals appeal was having to figure out what to do where to succeed; that's what I'm referring to. I'm not going to hold the players hand and show them exactly what to do or else they're just playing out a script.

21. Besus

Besus

It's been over a year since my last video development blog, and although that was for an entirely different project, I've been meaning to return to them. With my last update for Crash Co. having been far too long ago, I decided to compile the latest in demolition and destruction updates in to this 8-minute video.

Updates detailed in this video include:
    • Updates to the Compression Mech mechanics
    • A new vehicle and bonus level type to highlight it
    • An extension of the attack heliciopter - the electro-magnet copter.
    • Early stages of a couple new levels
    • Refinements/progress of 2 existing levels
    • Additional details on the level select map

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

Nice work Besus :)
    About the mini games, i could be a good idea to include many mini games "virtual missions" with different vehicles and objectives.
    This is what i found on the video that could get some more love
    -The terrain surface you can climb could differentiate more from terrain texture, in the darker levels it doesn't popup , perhaps some illumination shader display using a texture rock and a yellow pattern for illumination ?
    - The building on top of road looks strange, some special building with a tunnel would be more appropriate.
    - The hearth model for level selection textures are too dark on the part lightened by sun, using a texture more brighter would look better, or some tone mapper camera effect.

Anyway, the heli is awesome as the new levels, keep up the good work.

23. Besus

Besus

Thanks for the suggestions @zenGarden!
    But not quite sure what to make of: "About the mini games, i could be a good idea to include many mini games "virtual missions" with different vehicles and objectives."...?

24. zenGarden

zenGarden

I mean at the beginning of the video we see some prototype level mini game.
    It reminds me one of the best game ever 'Metal Gear 1"

I think it's easy and fast to make such levels and this could become interesting if you would propose bonuses when the player is able to finish some amount of mini games, like new vehicle model, new vehicle skins ,or new vehicles bonuses like more armor or more damage, unlock a secret level or anything else.