Search Unity

" Crafty "patching system for Unity projects.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Infinity Game Studio

Infinity Game Studio

Hello,

I have a question regarding patchie. I tested with a big patch file (500 mb~), and the downloader only downloaded until ~15% and then started unpacking. Upon checking the file size of the patch downloaded, it is only 61mb in size. The installer is stuck there, presumably because the patch file is not completely downloaded.

I tested with Crafty 1.1, and also 1.2. I had the same problem with both versions.
    Is there something that I am overlooking here?

Thank you in advance.

p/s: We are using Unity 4.3.2f1

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

- When you created the patch did you wait till the message bar appears indicating that the patch creation is completed with the information on how long it took and where it is ? ( when patch is damage Launcher won't download entire think ).

- Did any error log appear next to the game ? A small txt file should appear named crafty_error.txt ?

- Is your internet connection stable ? It is possible that you lost connection with the server.

- What system are you working on ?

3. Infinity Game Studio

Infinity Game Studio

- Yes, the popup appeared, with all the information. I took close to ~10 min to finish creating the patch.

- In 1.1 there was no error log, but there is one in 1.2. I will upload the error file.

- Yes, because we are testing in local connection, it should not be possible to lose the connection.

- We are working on Windows 7

Thanks for the quick reply, we appreciate it.

edit: uploaded file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  4. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Strange, because we and other developers never had this problem. Have you done tests on the original LaunchieLogic.cs and LaunchieGUI.cs? If no please try it, and do additional test, placing patch on remote serwer.

This error prompted me to add feature to Crafty - resuming download. "Crafty" will download patch, and before extract will check if it is complete. Any missing part will be downloaded and appended.

5. Infinity Game Studio

Infinity Game Studio

- Yes, tested in edited and the original LaunchieLogic/LaunchieGUI. I used LaunchieLogic1 and LaunchieGUI1 for this purpose.

- In the meantime, we'll test uploading the patch into our remote server. I will try to build the patch in another machine for testing.

Thanks.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

If your error appears again please feel free to email us at support@penkura.com for more support.

By sending us an email you will enter the Requested for Help line which will allow us to archive your nickname and problem to the remote support forum that we set up for the team, its easier that way to keep everything in order and send help as fast as it is possible :).

7. UltraTM

UltraTM

Cant wait for Crafty Standalone :)
    Any ideas of release date?

The long waiting Standalone finally comes :)

Im so happy about that guys.

love ya xD

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  8. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Crafty will be released today :) We have problems with... Unity. On Mac OS X Universal Build some features don't work. Even before Crafty developers has same problems: NotSupportedException - System.Net.WebRequest.GetCreator.

Interfaces for Crafty Standalone are almost ready. There is one thing left to do: rewrite code to native language of Windows, Linux and Mac. Windows will be rewritten later, because we want to drop requirements of .Net platform and Java.

9. UltraTM

UltraTM

Standalone will be released today you mean Wasikuss?
    Or an update for normal Crafty.

And Standalone will be released on a alter point?

10. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Crafty for Unity 1.2.1. Crafty Standalone will be released in 4-6 weeks :)

11. UltraTM

UltraTM

oO 4-6 weeks. Ok cant wait to get it of course. And as always Crafty is really nice. So worth to wait for it :)

Thank you for the Informations :)

12. Burglecut_0001

Burglecut_0001

Do you have a new estimate on when Crafty 1.2.1 for Unity will be released?

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Crafty 1.2.1 is ready we just need to make sure that Mac users wont have anymore problems. We created a new Updater ONLY for Mac users to make sure that their Java which is installed on their system gets accessed directly by Crafty out side of the project rather than inside.

Wasikuss haves a lot of things on his head right now which takes his time from Crafty ( which could be released a week ago already because of those time constrains ). If everything goes as it should we should released it today.

14. derkoi

derkoi

Just a quick question. Can I purchase a domain name, say www.mygame_update.com and forward it to mywebsite.com/update

That way I can change the location of the patches if I need to without needing to change the URLs in the old versions of the game?

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

For now you need to put a specific URL from which patches will be downloaded how ever few users already ask for more organic and free set of URL location and even ability to use few servers at the same time.

We are working on such addition that will use config files to set up the server rather than simple .txt files as it is very important update to us also. We think we will add this addition as soon as possible maybe even in Crafty 1.2.2.

First how ever we want to release finally Crafty 1.2.1.

16. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the reply.

17. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,

I having this problem,

I followed the setup procedure for crafty, but when I launch the game it holds at the gui message "Checking for updates"

And I get this error txt file.

System.NotImplementedException: The requested feature is not implemented.
    at System.Net.FtpWebRequest.set_Headers (System.Net.WebHeaderCollection value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at Launchie.Launchie.ForceCheck () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

here is the url

ftp://shefle10@ftp.freehostia.com/Patches

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

19. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

oh ok, thank you for the help :)

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Any time, if you will have any more problems please feel free to contact me here or on email support@penkura.com

21. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

will google drive work?

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Like i already mention in the email that you send, for now it wont work as google drive works a little bit different than a typical server, but because there was so many requests for this addition, after releasing Crafty Standalone we will work on implementing some kind of addition that will allow to use at least some of those virtual drives as we also think that it would be a very good addition to the overall product.

Plus i'm sure it would help a lot of indie developers who don't necessary have the budget to pay for a server. Which Crafty was about since the begging, to save money time and frustrations. :)

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

In few moments we will start to send Crafty 1.2.1 to all the users which requested the update before the release on the Asset Store. Crafty 1.2.1 was already send to the asset store and it is pending.

Overall we want to apologize everybody for the long wait as we spend almost a month on trying to repair a bug that appeared on Mac Java system. At the end we were so frustrated about the Java system that we rewritten ENTIRE updater system for Mac in such way that Mac dose not requires java any longer.

MAC SYSTEM dose not need JAVA. Crafty on mac works much more stable and because of that soon we will write dedicated updater for Windows and Linux too.

Besides other changes which we will talk about when the Crafty is release we created additional test scene which is connected with our Penkura Server, it was design in such way that every user will be able to create a test build on their Unity/Machines and download a patch from our server to see if everything works correctly. If the patch download and updates the game correctly you know that everything is working correctly. We hope that this will help some users in the future.

24. Novelline

Novelline

I've posted an update to my game on MAC and on PC, the PC one worked alright, but the MAC one is not working at all. It tries to run an updater.exe file on the Mac's and then crashes.

Any ideas?

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes we know about this problem on Mac in Crafty 1.2 Java system is not working properly and no matter what we do it always breaks, that's why we created a system that dose not require Java anymore. Like i said in Crafty 1.2.1 Mac won't ask for Java anymore as it is very unstable way of downloading and updating files. I just now saw your email in the spam section, sorry for not responding.

26. Novelline

Novelline

No worries, so is there any fix for that currently? Is there some sort of work around? Or for now should we just have people redownload the whole file on Mac's?

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well its already repaired Crafty 1.2.1 fixed this problem. Its already send to the asset store but i am currently unable to check any Invoice.NO. I do not know exactly why yet.

28. Novelline

Novelline

I know you guys had mentioned about the delay between posting an update to Unity and it showing up on the store. Do you know roughly how long it will take? Or is there someway to get the update beforehand, I have the PDF invoice receipt from buying Crafty, if that's what you need.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

It usually takes only few days for the asset store team to accept the asset. It should be in the next week on the store. Once again i want to apologize for not replying i didn't notice some emails go to spam section just like that.

30. Novelline

Novelline

That's okay. Is there any way to get the patch from you guys directly? I can prove my purchase. We put our BETA live on Monday not expecting to have an issue like this. Any chance?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

I will talk with Wasikuss our main programmer to send you Crafty 1.2.1 tomorrow.

32. Novelline

Novelline

Alright, I would appreciate that greatly! Do you know if we will have to re-export the original game file that we're patching to have the update work on MAC? And do you have my email from the spam alert?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes i do have your email now. And as always with new Crafty to use new additions you will have to create new patch.

Novelline likes this.
  34. Novelline

Novelline

Awesome, well I'll await an email from you guys tomorrow. Thanks for the fast responses!

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

You're welcome always happy to help.

Novelline likes this.
  36. Novelline

Novelline

I hate to be a pest, but any chance of getting an email today?

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

I did send your request for the Crafty 1.2.1 to the main programmer last night, but he didn't reply back yet. You must understand its weekend he most likely spends his time with family rather than sit at the computer. I will go to him tomorrow to get Craft for you if he won't appear online at the morning.

38. InfernalCookie

InfernalCookie

Hello guys,
    We started using your asset about week ago and I noticed one thing: most of the patches is ~110-150mb, since whole our game is ~430mb. There is not too much content changes, mostly it's just a scene settings, moving some objects and so on. Did you find some tweaks or recommendations of how to keep patches size smaller?

Also, I've seen some questions above about patches url redirect. I did it just with .htaccess file. My launchie url is "http://ourgame.com/patches", but patches files itself stored on Amazon S3/Cloudfront and can be changed at any time to any other url(Dropbox, Yandex.Disk or some dedicated server url). May be it will helps someone.
    .htaccess sample contents:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    Redirect 301 /patches http://ourgame.cloudfront.net/patches
    </IfModule>

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can lower the packet size from standard 512 to much lower number for example 64 it should help a little, the problem with Unity is that no matter how small changes you will make Unity builds the game entirely from scratch like if it was entirely new project. ( this would normally not be a problem but Unity compresses everything to a single files shaderassets0 and so on. ) that is the biggest problem.

We are working on full binary patching system that will find difference in those files, even the smallest one. The problem is that making such system is easy, but making it work on a typical computer is a so do speak problematic.

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

v 1.2.1

Because of the constant problem with Java system on Mac we rewrite updater part for the Mac OS in such way that it dose not require any Java system on the machine, soon same will be done with Linux and Windows. ( as after removing Java system requirement, Crafty started to work much more smooth and became less buggy ).

- Added Fourth Test Scene.
    - Added Fifth Test Scene, with .rar file.
    - Added new feature “Timeout“ (with an error message when it is unable to connect to the server)
    - Updater system is no longer visible on Windows.
    - Log.txt file made by Launchie is no longer visible on Windows.
    - Downloaded patches are no longer Windows.
    - Visual Adjustments to Updater Window.
    - Small Adjustments to Crafty Linux version to allow patch folder creation in a proper order.
    - Dedicated Updater for Mac OSX (written in native language, no java required).
    - Main functions can be called asynchronous.
    - Added test patch to the www.penkura.com server to test Crafty. (Connected to the Test Scene 5)

41. kfc

kfc

Hi Thinker,

Thanks for sending the 1.2.1 update to me earlier. It's very helpful. The only thing I think my client not quite happy with at the moment is the Java requirement for the Windows platform.

Mac version patched perfectly and shows no issue except that weird pause during the download stage. While Windows platform shows error if the machine don't have the latest Java installed. My client complained that this extra requirement will annoys some of their customers.

When can we expect to see the next update with Java requirement removed?

Cheers.

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

I will talk with the programmer to night to get details on how long it will take to create the updater for Windows ( after which we will make updater on Linux ). If everything goes well i will post more information about the updaters later to night.

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

After conversation with the programmer we decided that for now we need to release Crafty 1.2.2 with updated patch recognition system for both Mac and Windows ( which should fix minor issues ) and we will add an force Admin recognition for the updater ( which will help with computers that are set to very high protection ).

After that we will work on a bigger update which is Crafty 1.3 in it we will add Windows Updater that won't use Java anymore just like Mac. ( please be patient as creating updater from scratch takes time as we need to make sure that it will work better than the current want that uses Java system ). But because Crafty Standalone and Crafty for Unity will use same updater system this should not take that long to create. Will do my best to post updates on the Crafty 1.2.2 and 1.3.

InfernalCookie likes this.
  44. Libradigger

Libradigger

Any ETA for the newest version?

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Crafty 1.2.2 is overall ready it just requires few tweaks to make sure it will work on all OS but, we spend most of the time on making Crafty for windows java less ( not requiring Java ).

Because Windows is giving MUCH less problems that Mac we think that maybe Crafty 1.3 will be ready this week. Because we don't want to send two updates in one week, we will keep working on java less updater for Windows if we will finish it this week we will send Crafty 1.3 to the asset store, if not than we will send Crafty 1.2.2 first.

46. InfernalCookie

InfernalCookie

Starting from last version we got problems with Avast Antivirus. It blocks patching process and sometimes shows warning during copying too.(Object: Assembly-CSharp.dll, Malware: Win32:Evo-gen[Susp]) I'm not sure who cause this problem: new Unity(4.5.2f1), new patcher(1.2.1) or new lines of our code. Anyone has the same issue?

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

We test all Crafty with the newest Unity while our antiviruses are on. I my self use Avast and testers Kaspersky anty-virus. Never had a problem with it before.

48. UltraTM

UltraTM

Hi :)

now 4-6 weeks are over.
    what about the standalone Crafty :)
    how long till release will buy that :)

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

We are still working on few issues with the Crafty for Unity version as for now till the Crafty Standalone official release is the most important for us. We need to make sure that all the users that already payed for Crafty will be satisfied before we fully commit with all programmers for the one product.

For now i can say that the Windows version of the Crafty Standalone is already used by our testers to the fullest and it seems that it dose not provide any problems as always when it comes to the Windows section. We are still working on the Linux and Mac version.

50. UltraTM

UltraTM

So you will integrate the standalone in the normal Crafty package or will it be a new Asset?
    cause the normal Crafty i own allready :)

greetings René