Search Unity

Coroutines, Yield and functions other than WaitForSeconds in c#

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tre4bax, Mar 1, 2015.

1. tre4bax

tre4bax

Hi there,

I have put together how to use coroutines and yield etc. quite happily but what I'm interested in is what causes WaitForSeconds to work?

Does the function coming back with a specific value cause the yield to hold? I ask because I would like to implement something that steps through various points but only on sequential completion of something before it. With WaitForSeconds it can do

<Action 1> wait <Action 2> wait etc.

but what if I want to do

<Action 1> <Wait for action 1 to complete> <action 2> <Wait for action 2 to complete> ...

Seemed to me if I can implement a custom function called by yield this would work.

I've struggled to find documentation on this because this way of using yield is not really as inteded in C# I suspect as it was really only intended for providing enumerated types. Would really be grateful for any suggestions you may have.

2. Ecocide

Ecocide

I don't exactly understand what you mean, but in order to achieve something like this:
    " <Action 1> <Wait for action 1 to complete> <action 2> <Wait for action 2 to complete> ... "

You can perfectly use coroutines for something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. private IEnumerator Controller()
    3. {
    4.      yield return StartCoroutine(Action1());
    6.      Debug.Log("Action1 finished");
    8.      yield return StartCoroutine(Action2());
    9. }
    11. private IEnumerator Action1()
    12. {
    13.      // do some work
    14.      yield return null;
    15.      // do some work... etc.
    16. }
    18. private IEnumerator Action2()
    19. {
    20.      // do some work
    21.      yield return null;
    22.      // do some work... etc.
    23. }
    The Debug.log statement will be called after the Action1 coroutine finished.

3. tre4bax

tre4bax

Really useful ta. This has the germ of what I think I need to do which is to call a Coroutine that loops until my condition is set but uses WaitForSecond to ensure that it does not hog processing power. Having fun finding out anyway and that's really why I do this ;-)