Search Unity

continuous error spam after editing a script

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by XDSoftworks, May 23, 2016.

1. XDSoftworks

XDSoftworks

hello. i was wondering what this error spam is after i edit a script whether it is in my current project or a new one. one of the errors is:
    MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Object' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    UnityEditor.Editor.IsEnabled () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:589)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1151)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1028)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:352)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222). it only spams the console when the game isn't running and after i save a script and unity reimports it. it has been happening since i got unity 5.4 (including the patch versions). thanks in advance!

2. Svarr

Svarr

I've got the same errors.
    I've upgraded Unity and the project to 5.3.5f1 from 5.3.4f1.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  3. XDSoftworks

XDSoftworks

@Svarr
    "I've got the same errors.
    I've upgraded Unity and the project to 5.3.5f1 from 5.3.4f1." it makes me curious to know how many more people have the errors. the errors affect my ability to use unity as every other time the error spam starts unity's ui hangs or on the rare occasion unity will freeze all together requiring a force close with the task manager. off topic: unity does have potential but it has some severe limitations such as being single threaded and very intense open world games like mine can very easily overload that single thread depending on how powerful of a processor you have or the number bugs big and small that keep cropping up in the editor, something small such as with lightmapping, it hasn't worked (for me) since they added their new enlighten lighting engine and it always gets stuck on step 7 or on step 12 or missing things like shadow cascades on mobile. back on topic: i wonder how long it will take before somebody at unity will see this and respond, ask me for my project files then tell me to buy unity before they will look into the issue, i would buy it because it is very simple to use but, i don't want to buy $1500 USD in errors :D .

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

same here

5. XDSoftworks

XDSoftworks

unity 5.3.5f1 seems pretty promising i haven't really had time to use it much yet though, they seem to have fixed a lot in it.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

in 5.3.5 you always have this annoying UI error while script checking

7. XDSoftworks

XDSoftworks

hmm. i see that now... hopefully they have it fixed in 5.4 :D

8. Minghawk

Minghawk

In case anyone is still getting this, it seems to be some kind of clash with VisualStudio. Using Monodevelop (or presumably anything else) will get rid of it, but 'stop using the thing you prefer' isn't exactly an ideal solution.

In my experience it didn't happen with every edit to a script, only when there was an error of some kind in it. Whenever that was the case, it'd spam the console with the missing reference business endlessly, burying the report of the actual problem.

9. oferei

oferei

I'm getting this error and I'm using Sublime Text. I'm getting as little as one error in the console, and only if something failed to compile.