Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Consulo IDE (Intellij IDEA based IDE)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by SomeAlexander, Oct 22, 2014.

1. jk34594345

jk34594345

Let me try to explain better..

2. For some reason, the Consulo Program Window is not moved to the foreground on the OS level ( Windows 10 in my case), when a file is opened from unity. It stays in the background, when it should pop on top to become visible.

3. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a missing feature. Here's the question: Should I expect to see compile output in Consulo? Or put in a different way: If I do [Build -> Make], nothing happens. Should I expect something to happen?

2. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

@sfjohansson great! how can I trigger this from within IDE? I'm new to this so excuse my noob question. Tool is very powerful.
    Edit: I managed to setup online search in web browser but query string $SelectedText$ is not placed behind q= Can't figure it out. Waiting for Velocity to download docs but I'm not sure what parameters should I use to trigger doc since I'm on Win7

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

If you set it up as in the screenshot you get it in the right click menu, but you can also assign shortcut of your own.

At least on Mac and the safari web browser.. it works with putting the link "http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/30_search.html?q=" follow by $SelectedText$ in the parameter/argument field..windows might need a different format...imagine you want to open the we browser to a specific page from the command line.

Maybe somebody with windows can fill in if there are any differences..

Hopefully Velocity will work out of the box like dash does.

But yes it's pretty Awesome! :)

VertexSoup likes this.
  4. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

I'll try to use double quotes.. Maybe it will work. I'll let you know. I'm gonna setup default shortcut now. Need to make it work. Absolutely ideal would be if online reference could be displayed in floating window like it is done with decompiled assemblies which have comments on them.

5. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

So to make online search possible on windows machine you need to input this string in "Parameters" fiels along with quotes:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. "http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/30_search.html?q=$SelectedText$"
    So far no luck of getting Velocity to work. It refuses to take command line arguments %

@VISTALL It would be very nice if this was set as default when you install Consulo :3 Such an awesome IDE, I'm falling in love with it every day more and more.

6. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

And this is error that I get in console when I try to launch Velocity with parameter.. In this case I was searching for QualitySettings class, I'm not 100% positive I pass arguments in proper format. Neither that Velocity supports any arguments at all. In plugins I found Dash, I downloaded it, but can't find place where to configure this plugin. I'm new to Consulo so please excuse maybe some silly mistakes I'm doing.. :) It will get better, I promise.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Silverlake Software LLC\Velocity\Velocity.exe" %QualitySettings
    [0203/230736:ERROR:main_delegate.cc(730)] Could not load cef_extensions.pak
    [0203/230736:ERROR:tcp_socket_win.cc(361)] bind() returned an error: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. (0x2740)
    [0203/230736:ERROR:devtools_http_handler.cc(225)] Cannot start http server for devtools. Stop devtools.

7. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

The dash plugin seems to support velocity on windows according to this page, so that might sort you out:
    https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/7351?pr=idea

8. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

Damn I must be stupid or what.. For me id does not work at all.. I can't right click like said here at all
    I can do only
    ... I found Open in Velocity but it does nothing at all for me.. Only thing I see is "Documentation" tab opening with max 2-3 words that does not say anything useful at all.. This is frustrating. I can attach some screenshots but non of what I've read does apply for me like I'm special or what :D Nuts. I updated everything = nothing, removed plugin, restarted check for update, reinstall and still nothing....

9. jk34594345

jk34594345

Btw, you can also just use a straight web reference. It's fine if you're on a decent internet connection.

Here's my example for Chrome:

I have two options of this set up:

1.)
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/$SelectedText$.html

This works if you have a selection of a valid Class name, e.g. :

"MonoBehaviour" ==> http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.html

The drawback is that you have to select a valid classname, otherwise this won't return a valid page.

2.)
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/30_search.html?q=$SelectedText$

That's more forgiving, but will require another click on the search result.

With a bit of exercise, these work pretty well for me.

sfjohansson likes this.
  10. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

I ended up pointing it to local cached documentation which is super fast and finally managed to get Velocity app working with Consulo with prompt @VISTALL reaction. One thing I needed to do to get it all working is remove everything (delete whole IDE) download fresh build and reinstall. I assume this will be required to do more often until autoupdate system is working again (it is deeply broken to my knowledge right now, neither Restart if Consulo from Consulo itself is not working sometime) so I need to figure out some reasonable way how to store all my setting in some meaningful manner.
    Yeah I know there is Import/Export Setting entry under File menu.. I'm just still exploring various corners of this awesome tool but already feel much more comfortable with it that with what I was using before. It gets better every day so I highly recommend it even if it is still in "hot" stage. It improved my workflow considerably and I'm only starting with it. less typing, more code in same time = I'm happy camper. :3

11. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

I have a question, can someone make a mini-tutorial in couple of steps how to use NuGet in Consulo? I would be interested. Thank you.

12. VISTALL

VISTALL

NuGet for now is a bit unsupported. I contains some "alpha" support. You can ask me about that at GitHub (consulo-nuget repository)

VertexSoup likes this.
  13. LorenzoNuvoletta

LorenzoNuvoletta

This is beautiful! Thank you for doing this, Unity C# coding on a Mac is highly crippled without something like this.

14. steego

steego

It looks really good, but it seems to be using a bit much CPU, my macbook runs 10-20 degrees hotter with consulo open. Is there a way to tune it to use less resources? I've tried increasing the memory limits in the vmoptions and disabling all plugins besides the Unity one, but it didn't really help.

15. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

You can always have a go at trying various intelliJ optimisations such as this: https://gist.github.com/pymeat/6020392 , unless you already tried of course.

VertexSoup likes this.
  16. steego

steego

Thanks, I've this and googling around for other optimizations for IntelliJ, but nothing seems to make any difference. It's not like it uses a lot of CPU, but it's still enough for my macbook to get hot and the fans to kick in. I don't even have to use it, just leaving it open and idle causes this.

17. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

hmm...mine is running fine...no fans kicking in....I got a macbook pro retina...16gb ram...

18. steego

steego

Mine is a 2011, so a bit older but I don't think that should be a problem. Looking at it some more though, consulo is requesting a high performance gpu, that might be the reason.

19. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

That is a little bit older so it might be that is what is causing it...maybe check on the intelliJ forums to see if anybody is running a similar spec and how it works for them...

20. steego

steego

sfjohansson and VertexSoup like this.
  21. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Has anybody looked at folding/auto-folding custom regions?

I wrap my debug code in #if UNITY_DEBUG regions and It would be awesome..to be able to hide that stuff if you just want to read the actual code... :)

22. VISTALL

VISTALL

Folding preprocessor directives for now is not supported.

23. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Hmm well I guess one could add also add a region around....more clutter...but still..if I had a regions called DEBUG...could I keep them folded independent of other regions?

24. VISTALL

VISTALL

For now all regions not collapsed by default.

You can use

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // <editor-fold defaultstate="collapsed" desc="test">
    2.     //
    3.     // </editor-fold>
    netbeans fold

But i think - i will implement folding for unactive code(in near future)

25. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Cool that does work, although it's not folded when I open a file by default.
    Inactive/PreProcessor directive code folding is a very useful feature..at least if you ask me...as it twill be so much easier to visually skim through the executed code path. :)

26. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Consulo is getting more awesome for every day..

@VISTALL added some great features... it now lists dependencies both in your unity scenes and prefabs...

Just hover over the unity icon:

or click on it...It's also posible to open up the scene in unity by clicking on it the pop up list.

Baste likes this.
  27. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

upload_2016-5-18_15-58-44.png
    @VISTALL Hi there, me again! :)
    Is there any way I can setup Beta as predefined? I can't figure it out, I have like 4 versions of unity installed in parallel and would like consulo to use Beta as predefined version.

28. VertexSoup

VertexSoup

And I have another question, is there some way like in git to define which types of files and folders I'd like to hide in project structure?

EDIT: I found it under Settings > Editor > File Types on the bottom of dialog is line with entries separated with ; so you can add your own types there.. I added .vs;.vscode;

29. VISTALL

VISTALL

Consulo search Unity by default path and added as predefined. If not find - need add it manually. There no different between predefined and user bundles(except first is readonly)

VertexSoup likes this.
  30. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

31. VISTALL

VISTALL

Hi. This plugin show diagram for *.puml files. I am already have some preparation for it(graph for java/C# languages, etc - like in IDEA), but i am busy and can't finish implementation.

Sry

32. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Cool..certainly didn't expect any graphing functuality coming up..exciting! :) I though otherwise that plant uml files, even if they have to be made manually could have been a nice little add on for "embedded" documentation... if that plugin would work "out of the box". But yeah ...actual ability to generate graphs from code to to get an overview of classes and their dependencies would be awesome.

33. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Has anybody worked with Consulo on multiple computers/different platforms? Previously I have been using it on one mac and now I synced my git repo to my windows PC. It would be nice to be able to sync setup and stuff...is there a way to do this?

34. VISTALL

VISTALL

Hi. You need copy config directory data https://github.com/consulo/consulo/wiki/Paths-to-system-directories

35. gonzorob

gonzorob

Hi @VISTALL

Since the 5.4 update I'm getting :
    "Unity SDK 'Unity 5.3.5 (predefined)' is not defined"

Tried clearing all settings and updating plugins with no joy. Any suggestions?

36. gonzorob

gonzorob

Simple solution here : https://github.com/consulo/consulo/issues/203

37. figbash

figbash

Does anyone have any luck debugging with Consulo? I can't figure out how to get it to hit breakpoints, it seems to attach correctly to the Unity process but breakpoints refuse to work for me. They worked a single time before so I know it's possible in my setup.

38. VISTALL

VISTALL

Please write issue here https://github.com/consulo/consulo-unity3d/issues

39. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Hey Guys,
    I've been using this awesome IDE on mac but started using my pc for some things and want to get consulo up and running on it as well.. I'm using windows 10 and downloaded it...there is no installer so I run it from the folder but can't seem to install any plugins.( I can see an ERROR referring to the pluginManager in the command line)

Have I missed anything with the setup? =O

40. UCh

UCh

I'm my daily job all the team adopted Consulo as primary IDE for Unity. So far so good. We where following Project Rider (the new JetBrains C# IDE) and it's not even close to the level of integration with Unity. But there is something that I didn't manage to sort out:

- How can I make a DLL project Unity compatible like in MonoDevelop?
    Something like this: http://jacksondunstan.com/articles/3052
    - There is any way to import a MonoDevelop Solution into Consulo?

41. UCh

UCh

I just saw that there is a Visual Studio importer plugin available. Ignore previous post, please!

42. VISTALL

VISTALL

Please use VS plugin only for VS projects (Not for unity projects, due you will lose many features for unity). And VS importer is in very early stage

43. UCh

UCh

My use case is using Consulo for Unity compatible DLLs. For example, I like to transform 3th party dependencies to DLLs.

44. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Thanks@VISTALL for the 2.0 Release! :)
    I was wondering if you have a place with release notes/whats new/improved?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  45. VISTALL

VISTALL

Hi. First of all, it's migration to new webservices, and code cleanup.

Added auto-update.

For Unity
    Introduce some new sites:

(working on changelog at github https://github.com/consulo/consulo/wiki/Version-2.-Goals-and-changelog)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    sfjohansson likes this.
  46. RobRendell

RobRendell

I had a bit of a hiccup with Consulo after it upgraded from 1633 to 1634. I had to manually (re?)install the .NET plugins and the git plugin before it was happy again. It was a bit odd, but it's all good again now. Thanks for developing this!

47. VISTALL

VISTALL

Hi. You need only check About -> Check for updates.

Auto-update have bug on macOS. On other OSes - no need redownload platform etc

48. RobRendell

RobRendell

Is anyone else having plugin issues with Consulo version 1650? I updated my plugins, and it said they're not compatible with the current IDE, so I manually updated to the latest version of Consulo off the wiki (1650). It's still complaining they're not compatible, and if I attempt to update it says it's updating (e.g.) the Unity3D plugin from v. 1430 -> 1430, so it seems that I have the latest.

Sorry to keep posting just to complain - I've been happily using Consulo in the mean time!

On Windows, where do the plugins get saved? I wonder if I should try blowing them away and reinstalling from scratch?

49. VISTALL

VISTALL

Can you write issue on github ? with screenshots etc

50. VISTALL

VISTALL

Maybe - use About -> Check for updates, it will update all plugins & platform to last