Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Confront : Multiplayer First Person Shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Crystalline, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Crystalline

Crystalline

Hi everyone.
    Been working on something for a few months, and I wanted to share the progress on these forums too.
    The game is supposed to be an online fps shooter.

Started the project a few months ago and by far I ve got:
    • Authoritative Networking (movements,shooting,etc etc)
    • A map that is currently in development.
    • 5 weapons!
    • Player animations,transitions ,and online ready.
    I am planning to release a build as soon as I finish the map, but I need people to help me test with.So, if you are interested drop me a PM.
    I am working all alone on the project,however ,if there are serious people that want to join let me know,I am mostly looking for character animators/designers.

More details about the game soon!
    Facebook page : Confront.

Some progress images.(Note many fake prefabs and place holders..)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    inresin and KingLlama like this.
  2. Terminator75

Terminator75

Amazing work so far for a one man team, the game looks gorgeous. I would like to know your plans for the future, Is the game going to be free to play? Is the game going on steam or is it an online release? Anyway Good luck on this game it looks very promising, definitely gonna keep my eye on this :D

(Edit) -

The facebook link says Page not found. What happend?

KingLlama likes this.
  3. Crystalline

Crystalline

Thanks for reply!
    I plan to release it on steam, but not as a free game, ( not 100% sure though)I dont support the micro transactions system for leveling up and getting better weapons etc.
    The game would NOT be a pay to win model, however, in order to still keep an income, I plan to sell weapon skins ( geometric details , cammo, hand accessories ( hand watches , bracelets, tatus...this sort of things)

Will edit page as I get to my pc.

4. Crystalline

Crystalline

Update.
    The map is getting to be finished soon. Some more stuff to go and done. (mainly buildings)
    Here is some progress.

5. Terminator75

Terminator75

Looking good so far. Any plans on releasing some gameplay footage for us? would love to see this game in action :D

6. Crystalline

Crystalline

Will try, I have such a slow network right now..

7. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I'd recommend going into the "Lighting" tab and turning down the reflectivity intensity, seems a bit high. This game looks really sweet, especially the graphics.

8. Crystalline

Crystalline

Alright thanks! The bloom filter just doesn't work that right with hdr on also..

9. StarGamess

StarGamess

Looks really nice graphics wise what image effects do you use?

10. Crystalline

Crystalline

Bloom and color correction.

11. StarGamess

StarGamess

looks really nice.

12. Crystalline

Crystalline

Well, a new weapon. One more assault rifle to go, then I ll have enough weapons for an alpha build.
    This time , the KAR 50. A bolt action sniper rifle.
    (yes I know, KRI...)
    1.jpg
    2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

13. Crystalline

Crystalline

Alright, here is my first try on a HUD for this game . Subject of change.
    hud as of now.jpg

14. Terminator75

Terminator75

Oh man the game looks amazing even at this stage, have you decided if this is free to play?. I know its still early but i haven't seen any free to play fps like this before and maybe thats a gap that this game could fill. ;) In the end the decision is yours but i would like to see you consider the free to play path. Anyways what kind of rig do you have? and does the game run well on lower end pc's?. Thanks and good luck ;)

15. Crystalline

Crystalline

My pc is built of a quad i5 4460, a gtx750 and 8 gb ram ( ram is not that important though.) My gpu is not spectacular and it still runs over 90 fps with all effects on , lowering shadows and disabling SSAO helps a lot on slower computers! As for marketing plan, I dont know, there are many free to play fps games, why do think making this fps free would make a difference?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  16. Terminator75

Terminator75

Simple, More Players and of course this means a broader audience to market the game to in a lot more ways than one. Think about it, more players means more popularity for the game and with it more lifetime for the game. More people playing the game daily and making micro transaction is better for the longevity of the game than one person paying a premium to play. Im in no ways an expert and in no way should you take my advice just because i posted it on a forum. All i ask you is to do is look at both paths and choose whats best for the game carefully. All in all the game will look fantastic either way and good luck to you and this game. :D

17. Crystalline

Crystalline

The problem is handling server costs with a large player base.

18. StarGamess

StarGamess

What are you using as multiplayer system. Photon? Because if you are using photon you can just buy the Photon + package and have 100 CCU forever for only 100$. Now 100CCU is a lot of people who can play your game.

19. Crystalline

Crystalline

Yes, I do use Photon!

20. StarGamess

StarGamess

Well then you can do the photon plus plan it should keep you going the first few months.

21. Crystalline

Crystalline

Indeed, thanks for suggestion! However there is a long road to go untill then, started the game a few months ago, and running the whole development alone, requires quite a bit of time :D.

22. inresin

inresin

the polish is so good :O Incredible work man

just wondering what are the usp's (unique selling points) of this project?

23. Crystalline

Crystalline

What do you mean?

24. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

I really like your UI design.

25. Crystalline

Crystalline

Really? I thought it is too simple and boring haha, glad you like it :) !

FyreDogStudios likes this.
  26. inresin

inresin

like what makes your game different and unique from other popular shooters

27. Crystalline

Crystalline

That's a good question, but I cant answer that as of right now. I am getting to the extra game mechanics as I finish the basic ones( walking, running, shooting..all over the internet, authoritatively ). I have the concept on my mind that would make the game pop out , but thats not yet on paper.
    Certainly, not another CS , not another CoD with flying people ( haha) , although the run and gun idea is still part of my game, however, the difference would be actual skill, no laser guns ( recoil) and not just OP stuff all over the place. Lastly, not a BF game, because thats impossible to do anyway :D.

Main concept as I could say is in current state is : Fast Paced Fun Run and Gun. I call it FPFRG, a new genre haha. Fun because I want to take away that seriousness out of the game , but not to a point that it looks and feels like a cartoon game..No. I want to try what others didn't , not too serious but not too cartoony;just in the middle.
    Run and gun because that's the main fun factor , plus, it is also part of the fast pace process. It is essential :).

Anyway, I am quite possibly deviating, so I ll end it here, I will however come and edit my first page when I got the stuff managed.

Thanks for the question.( and sorry for my english, not a native speaker)

28. Mauri

Mauri

Do you know Toxikk? :) It's a bit like Unreal Tournament, fast paced and looks really cool.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  29. inresin

inresin

I do think a high skill ceiling, yet an ability to still be able to play casually is becoming increasingly important in modern shooter. Games like csgo show that players do want a skilful and difficult to master game and not just be rewarded for anything. A high movement game with a high skill cap and amazing visual quality is definitely not something you see a lot of and would allow for a high skill ceiling not just in terms of gunplay but also other movement mechanics.
    I am very interested to see how this project develops and the route you take with it.

30. StarGamess

StarGamess

Yupp i know the feeling xD Developing a 4 player co-op game myself... Its hard to work alone. But after a few cancelled projects i decided it was to time to just make a game on my own and develop it myself.

31. Crystalline

Crystalline

I definitely gotta check the game , looks pretty good

32. Crystalline

Crystalline

Your points are true, I will try and build the gameplay based on skill rather than luck or else. I appreciate the skill that is required in CS in order to do welll, however I want to apply that into a faster paced run and gun game. ( to me cs go seems a bit slow because of the movement restrictions) This is my shot, this is my goal.

@StarGamess , it is nice to have a team, but finding good team mates that stick to thejob is a hard task nowdays.

33. inresin

inresin

i am also working on my project alone :D finding dedicated teammates who care about your project is impossible and the only other way is to have large amounts of cash to spare to hire people.

Personally I enjoy the slower face of cs:go, it's hard to create a sense of atmosphere when stuff is constantly happening (not that cs:go is particularly atmospheric i feel a lot more could have been done to make the lull periods between combat more suspenseful from a design standpoint) . What i dislike about cs it has hardly any freedom to choose how to play, there is very little variation in how you take fights at the highest level. I think allowing players to play fast and run and being able to do well is important, but it could incorporate well with slower play to allow players more variation in how they play the game, giving advantages to both styles.

34. Crystalline

Crystalline

Well, the run and gun atmosphere is simple : adrenaline and combat intensity! :)
    Cs is way to limited indeed, it is a very restrictive game with some basic mechanics behind. That game's design is very simple, and I personally get bored of it pretty fast. I hate being limited too much in a multi player game.

I would like my game to give players a lot of freedom of movement and tactics. I want the game to be having many unknown spots they can reach and play with , rather than " hey, that's a sniper spot. Hey, all the smg players will come that way, etc etc".
    I want my maps to have those spots everyone would think they are unreachable, but actually be.

35. LazyPoet91

LazyPoet91

I also like the UI :)

36. inresin

inresin

it can be difficult to constantly keep the player interested in the action if things are always happening, having periods of lower action can be important for pacing and keeping the player on their toes. I'm not saying as much as games like cs:go but having some change of pace throughout the game can add a lot.