Search Unity

Confine game area so controls are on the side?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Zaffer, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi,

Is it possible to confine the game area so controls can be off to the side instead of overlying the game?

I'm making a 3D RGB color cube where the user can travel into the cube and look around. I'd like to be able to have an interactive palette and other controls stay off to the side out of the way so they don't interfere with the view inside the cube. Is this possible? Thanks.

palette_side.jpg

2. Myhijim

Myhijim

You could just have a 'GUI' quad housing the palette on the side as you have shown in the last picture?

Instead of confining the camera through another method you could just increase the size of the camera and put a slice down the side of it as a child?

I'm not 100% sure what you are searching for here, is it just a need to hide the palette when the mouse isn't in proximity or?

Please let me know if I have completely misinterpreted you!
    Myhi

3. Zaffer

Zaffer

Hi Myhijim,
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry to be dense, but what is a GUI quad? Also, I don't quite understand what you mean by "put a slice down the side."

What I am after is a situation something like working in Photoshop where you have whatever you are working on in a separate window and your tools off to the side, so when you zoom and change views in the project window the tools don't get in the way of the view.

4. Myhijim

Myhijim

upload_2014-8-31_9-49-22.png

Simple solution where you physically put something down the side of the camera's view as housing for the tools.

OR do you mean in the actual scene workspace of the game workspace?

Zaffer likes this.
  5. Zaffer

Zaffer

Thanks Myhijim, That's a great idea. I also had the idea of covering one side of the game window with an opaque label. I'll try both and see which one works better. Funny how you never think of the obvious things :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. Myhijim

Myhijim

No problem, if you need any more help just PM me :)