Search Unity

Command Palette Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Cobo3, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Cobo3

Cobo3

Hello!
    I have always felt the lack of a command line inside Unity. And no, I don't mean launching Unity through the command line and passing some arguments; but instead having a window popup in Unity and being able to execute some commands, as you would on Linux or some software like SublimeText.

And that's what I did: a CommandPalette window in which you can drop some commands to execute.
    CommandPalette.png
    Now, what for?
    Command Palette can be used to execute commands as trivial and simple as "SaveScene" or your own custom scripts and procesures; along with a large variety of built-in commands such as editing EditorPrefs or even your game PlayerPrefs.
    Mostly, though, IMO, you will be using it for running custom procedures or debugging Editor Tools, as you can make your own commands.

Features
    - Popup Window to show/hide when needed
    - Automatically loads commands
    - Auto completion
    - Command suggestion based on the input
    - Support for commands with arguments
    - Support for custom commands (Actually, very versatile system)
    - Support for custom argument parsers

TODO
    - Better command suggestion algorithm
    - Support for Preferences panel with color options and beahviour and whatnot
    - Commands history and browse last entered commands
    - Support for parsing GameObjects and the alike

Although it's still in early beta, it is still pretty usable too; so I am looking for some beta testers, if anyone is interested :p
    I want to hear some feedback from the community before adding more features.

So, what do you guys think?
    What extra fetures would you like to see?
    How do you expect it to behave?

Any feedback will be appreciated

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015