Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Simply SVG - Vector Graphics and Unity Live happily ever after

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tkoknordic, Sep 28, 2015.

1. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Edit 17th October 2015
    Just got it released! Check it out in Asset Store: http://u3d.as/jPK

Hey guys & girls!

We're just about to release and submit Simply SVG - a tool that will help you immensely in creating your game when taking advantage of sweet vector graphics.

Main Features

☑ Use Vector graphics in Unity effortlessly, just Import and Drag'n'Drop
    ☑ Full cross platform support
    ☑ Automatically generated and optimized colliders
    ☑ Unity UI supported (5.2 or newer)
    ☑ Opaque and Transparent rendering
    ☑ Quality setting, custom pivot points and import scaling
    ☑ Smart SVG asset handling (easy to update)
    ☑ Beautiful rendering with other objects even in 3D space
    ☑ Optional Render Sorter utility to keep things in order automatically
    ☑ Compatible with Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape
    ☑ Particle System support

Package Includes

☑ Fun example scene with a driving game
    ☑ Full source code
    ☑ Fast support via email & forums
    ☑ All upcoming updates
    ☑ Adobe Illustrator compatible SVG exporting script

SVG standard support

☑ All basic SVG shapes
    ☑ Compound paths (with holes)
    ☑ Stroke and fill (with transparency)
    ☑ Transforms
    ☑ Groups

Full Collider Support

Example Scene Provided

Just Drag'n'Drop

Simplicity & Better Workflow

Comes with Render Sorter and Illustrator utilities

UI Ready (Unity 5.2 onwards)

Example scene walkthrough:

Price: $50

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    theANMATOR2b and Gozdek like this.
  2. TechiTech

TechiTech

beautiful work! everything looks very professional. even though I have a similar product, i would definitely consider buying this.

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

So is this an `importer` of shapes created externally, or are there some drawing tools?

4. andyz

andyz

Looks great but how does it compare to the recently on sale "SVG Importer"? - looks very similar to that asset

5. jeffweber

jeffweber

I would also like to know if there are drawing tools for free-form creation of simple vector graphics. (Like what's available in RageSpline.)

6. Korindian

Korindian

Do you currently have or plan to support importing SVGs from the file system at runtime?

7. tattz

tattz

Hey guys, another dev here - thanks for the questions and interest!

The workflow is so fluid that when you're developing with InkScape or Illustrator you can instantly see the changes inside Unity so this in mind we decided not to develop drawing tools inside Unity.

At a quick glance to other tools that have some similar functionalities, we have a different way of tackling SVGs in Unity ie. we handle assets more in the "Unity Way" keeping the asset exposed and editable. The meshes created from the SVGs can also be used wherever like in the Particle System. Simply SVG also provides a few utilities such as the illustrator exporter and render sorter to help your team's workflow.

Runtime importing is possible with few small changes. If there is more demand for it, we'll do it.

8. ibyte

ibyte

Glad to see you have released your SVG package now.

9. ibyte

ibyte

So what happened to this package?

10. tattz

tattz

Looks like it's still being processed by the Asset store team, we'll update you guys as soon as possible :)

ibyte likes this.
  11. Jaroslav-Stehlik

Jaroslav-Stehlik

Looking good,

Nice to meet you at Helsinki :)

tkoknordic likes this.
  12. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Thanks! It was nice to meet you too. We are still waiting for Unity's Asset Store review. We have waited over two weeks (or 10 business days) already :S We are hoping to release this as soon as Unity gives us green light.

13. Jaroslav-Stehlik

Jaroslav-Stehlik

Yeah, the first release takes always the longest. After then it is only a week max.

14. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

I don't know if it was this message or what but it just got accepted! And so Simply SVG store page is here: http://u3d.as/jPK

ibyte and Jaroslav-Stehlik like this.
  15. tattz

tattz

So, it's out! Has any one of you guys had a chance to check it out?
    http://u3d.as/jPK

16. ibyte

ibyte

I plan to pick it up at the beginning of November when I can start working on my Unity projects again.

tattz likes this.
  17. tattz

tattz

We just released version 1.0.1 with some improvements to the example stuff. We also have an Adobe illustrator exporter script included, has anyone had a chance to take a look at that? We find it very useful when we have a big illustrator file with a lot of assets we want to export quickly into Unity.

18. HectorSilva

HectorSilva

I also need to import SVG at runtime (I've been looking for a product that does this and seems not to exist). Importing at runtime would give SimplySVG a lot of flexibility. I hope you implement this feature in the near future.

19. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

ibyte likes this.
  20. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Cool package. I'm also interested in the Runtime SVG import feature. Can this be added to the package.
    Cheers.

21. andsee

andsee

Looks great.

I'm looking for an SVG importer that can import shapes with linear gradients using vertex colouring.

Is this supported / planned?

22. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Hi Andsee!

We have focused to have good runtime performance. this means less triangles and vertices is a good thing. If you would like to have different gradients over an object by vertex colouring it would require extra vertices inside the shape. Also the look that gradients provides is kind of cheap so that's why we haven't found it very usefull and especially when we think how much work it would reguire.

But now that I have seen there is some interest for this feature we will rethink it and see if it's doable.

23. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

I need to import a SVG file (structured with layers and lots of shapes) and after the import have a hierarchy in Unity that reflects the original SVG structure and have access to the individual shape's properties like fill/outline colour and outlinline thickness. Also very important is that I need to be able to save any in game changes to that hierarchy to file so that I can reproduce that state at a later moment in time or even exchange it with other users.
    Would your product be able to cope with that?
    Best regards

24. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Hi Mr_Jigs!

In one point we hade importer importing each group of shapes as a separated Unity game object. However, this was very complex and had issues with performance. So now we import one SVG file to one mesh. We also have Adobe Illustrator script that exports vector document to multiple svg files where the separation can be done by artboards or layers (but not by groups).

Our main focus has been in good runtime performance. That's why Simply SVG builds meshes in editor and you can't change or import them in runtime. We also wanted simple workflow where you edit your vector document in programs that are specially designed for it (illustrator etc.).There are other tools in Asset Store that gives you an ability to edit vectorgraphics inside Unity such as RageSpline.

I hope this clears it to you and I'm happy to answer any questions. I hope you will find some tool that can cope well with your requirements and will find use for Simply SVG in the future.

25. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

Thanks for taking the time to answer in detail and who knows what the future will bring :)

26. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

What tool did you use to create the animation in the 2nd video "Example Scene Provided" in this thread? Was that done with Puppet2D?

27. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Hi TokyoDan! You can use Simply SVG to generate 2D polygon colliders to your SVG objects. That's what we did with the car and trailer. So the animation is done with 2D Physics (Polygon colliders and Joints). You can try and test it here: http://simplysvg.com/demo/

28. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

Does anyone know if this can import svg files from Affinity Designer on Mac?

cheers

Nalin

29. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I think the developer recommends Affinity Designer in one of his tutorial/introduction videos. Watch them.

30. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Does this mean that the runtime import feature will not be added in a future release?

31. ibyte

ibyte

Hi I purchased SVG Assets and SVG Importer before. Now I also just picked up your SImplySVG.

So SVAssets is SVG to texture, SVG Importer is SVG to mesh. What features does SimplySVG have that the others don't. I am not looking for a direct comparison (ie not asking which is better or better approach) I am just trying to figure out at a high level which package has unique functionality the other lacks to see where/when they should be best employed.

Thanks for putting it on sale!

32. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

We mostly use Adobe Illustator so that's what we have tested the most. We also have confirmed Simply SVG works with svg file made with CorelDRAW and Inscape. If you like I can test a couple of files for you? you can send them via private message or email.

We are currently working on a new update and we will have some level of experimental runtime support for importing svgs.

As you said SVG Assets and other svg renderers rasterizes svg files as texture. Textures have bigger memory footprint and limited accuracy and they don't different that much from exporting your vector graphics straight from the vector editor IMO.
    We are very aware that Simply SVG and SVG Importer doesn't different from each other that much. There are some differences when it comes to technics we use to generate meshes and how we handle svg files inside Unity editor. But I don't think it would be a fair comparision or if this is the right place to start listing all pros of our product and cons of SVG Importer ;) I will just ensure that everyone who has bought our product gets full potential out of it and is happy to use it.

33. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

34. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

I bought SVG Importer and i really want to know: What are the advantages of your package compared to SVG Importer?
    Why should i buy it. Fight for your product :)
    And a roadmap for future would be welcome!

Cheers and have a good sale
    Michael

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  35. ibyte

ibyte

That was what my question was aimed at. I would like to know what things Simply SVG does that SVG Importer does not so I might take advantage of them. If you prefer to reply in PM I am fine with that as well.

36. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

So, I think we have great workflow with Simply SVG. You can export a SVG file from illustrator and use it straight away in your game and even after that you can edit it and it updates immediately into the game.

Sometimes you have a whole scene of assets in one illustrator file then it's very useful to use our export script that splits the file to multiple SVG files. (You can use it with other SVG imports also)

I haven't had that much time to use our competitors products. But we are really eating our own dog food and using Simply SVG with every project we are doing. I have seen and heard that you would like to have a runtime support. We will have it soon with many other updates for our product. I don't have exact roadmap for our Simply SVG but I'm sure it will eventually be the best tool for vector games because we are using it ourselves and improving it continuously.

In Finland we don't have a culture of bragging and we are kind of modest what we say what we do. We also don't have a real marketing guy in our company, so if you want that and overwhelming marketing extravaganza, you should select our competitors product ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  37. ibyte

ibyte

Thanks for the reply.

I hope to try it out soon. Personally I use inkscape so maybe the logic could be applied there are as well. I have my svg assets in files. Each UI element is composed of many sub parts that are grouped. I think this doesn't seem supported by either package so I think a script for inkscape may also be something i need to look into.

Art work that was done for me has a lot of clipping in it. I understand that is not something supported as well which i had kind of hoped for. Oh well.

38. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

This is very hard issue to please everyone. There are as many ways to group and arrange your assets in vector graphic editor as there are artist doing them. If we break it too much in separated game objects in Unity it will be come with lower performance and messier hierarchy view. And usually grouping done in Illustrator for illustrating purposes are not the best grouping that you want to have as game objects in Unity side. That's why we made very clear rule that there is one game object per one svg file. And then, with the Illustrator script you can split your graphic elements in separated svg files by layers and artboards.
    This clipping is the most needed feature for us also. So we are doing it at the moment. It has took couple of weeks because we have rewritten our import system so that it's now easier to debug and expand and just now we have come to the point that we can actually add the clipping feature and that will be included in our next update.

ibyte likes this.
  39. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Is there any way that I can setup Simply SVG to generate an SVG Asset that can be used in Puppet2D to do what is being done to the dragon's eye between 2:00 and 2:40 in THIS VIDEO? I tried and nothing works.

It'd be great and of value to Simply SVG if you could work with the Puppet2D developers to add this functionality.

40. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Video link doesn't work?

41. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Sorry. It is this video:

42. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Firstly, Yesterday I tried to get Puppet2D smooth skinning to work with Simply SVG. Puppet2D overwrites vertex color data of the mesh for some reason. I tried quickly work around this, but there isn't an easy solution. Then I contacted Puppet2D author and he promised to fix it so puppet2D wouldn't vanish original vertex color data.

To your FFD question: Because you have your image as a vector image you could easily export the eye as a separated object and have the same end result as in the video, but still it wouldn't be that flexible to animate because of the temporary lack of skinning as explained in the last paragraph.

One hack you can try to use to get around this problem is to modify our svg shader to use different channel than color as a vertex color and then before using Puppet2D copy the color channel data there. For example to Tangent or Normal channle. You should also be aware of compression and other special characteristics of those channels.

ibyte likes this.
  43. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I am in a dilemma here. I bought SVG Importer a while ago when it was on sale, therefor since I already had an SVG import "solution" I passed on the Simply SVG sale. Then last week I bought Puppet2D only to find that SVG Importer does not work well with Puppet2D.

And then I find out that Simply SVG devs are working closely with Puppet2D devs to get them working well together. Because of this coming integration I would now rather have Simply SVG than SVG Importer. But I missed the darn sale and can't afford to spend more money on buying a 2nd tool to import SVGs. I wish assets had trial periods so that we can insure that they work well with other tools/assets.

Is there any chance of a special deal for owners of SVG Importer who would like to switch to Simply SVG?

44. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

I got newest version (2.4) of Puppet2D yesterday. The author has fixed problems that I had with skinning. Now it works like a dream! I'm very excited to use in one of our game project. The update to Puppet2D will be out soon in Asset Store.

We will also send our updated version of Simply SVG to Asset Store today so I hope you will see it online in 5 - 10 days. There are full support for clippings and experimental runtime import support with many minor improvements to usability.

We can work this out. I will send you a private message.

45. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Is it possible to do this lighting on the SVG assets imported Simply SVG. (Starts 8:45 into the video):

46. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I am using Puppet2d 2.4 and modified the RenderProperties.cs as you said: (commenting out [RequireComponent(typeof(Renderer))]. But none of the features I wanted work. I tried the FFD and that doesn't work on the SVGs imported by Simply SVG. I also tried skinning to Spline bones using the Bind Smooth Skin tool of Puppet2d and that caused the MeshRenderer to be replaced with a SkinMeshRenderer which in turn made my SVG invisible in the scene.

I don't know but maybe I'm doing something wrong. It would be nice if you and the Puppet2D dev could make a demo or tutorial video of How to use Puppet2D on SVGs imported by Simple SVG.

47. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Wait. I messed around some more and it is working. I figured it out after reloading the project and that SVG that went invisible (after the MeshRenderer was replaced with a SkinMeshRenderer) was visible again. I don't know why that happened. Like a Unity render update didn't happen when it should have. But seeing that cased me to try some other things and now it is working, even the FFD tool is working. Great work!

48. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

That is what should happen.
    There are still some inconvenience in this workflow. Now that the 2.4 version of Puppet2D is in Asset Store I will try to create some kind of tutorial how it should work. I will be back in office at 28th of December and will look into this.
    Thats very good to hear! I didn't have the time to test it before :)

49. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

For some reason I am not able to reproduce my success. Using Bind Smooth Skin, I can't get the mesh to bind to the FFD_CTRL_GRPs. (It was working this morning.) I notice that when I do Create FFD Tool and when I Finish FFD a "New Game Object" is created under Global_CTRL. "New Game Object" also has a SkinnedMeshRender. If I delete "New Game Object", nothing happens, as if it is not needed.

50. tkoknordic

tkoknordic

Hi all, New version of Simply SVG is out! You will find it in Asset Store https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/46496 with version number of 1.1.0.

We finally have the clipping support and experimental runtime importing.

(Remember to remove old Simply SVG folder before updating)