Search Unity

[COMING SOON] New Sci-Fi Pack, fully modular, for Unity 5!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MJohnson24, May 3, 2015.

1. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Extreme Sci-Fi Level Creator has now been released! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/37226

(Free LITE edition of this package coming soon!)

• This will be a fully modular package, like all of my others in store!
    • This package will be usable with Unity 5, and should be released by the summer!
    • Medium - low range of polys, providing a well placed amount of detail in the textures.
    • Emission Shaders on floor and ceiling lights.
    • Walls, floors, ceilings, combined with metallic and specular looks, to give those metal looks a nice and polished shine!

So far there are over 3 dozen different texturing combinations using the dozen textures provided.
    • Retro colors: black and white, old school looking types.
    • Glass Shaders: Transparent, and non-transparent wall texturing.
    • Metropolis: Golden colors, with a nice royal feel, for unique and beautiful looks.
    • Metal looks of all sorts: hand designed detail, metal grates, pipes, smooth metals, and vents (all great looks for combinations!).
    (Pics below shown using Baked "emission" lighting, and reflection probe.)
    (Having a full glass room seems odd, right? but why not?)
    upload_2015-5-3_13-11-33.png

(All pics shown are of the same room, showing only a few of the many combinations!)

upload_2015-5-3_13-15-27.png

(Before Release!) What is planned to be added this month so far:

Space Station:

• Pre-Built Corridors: Straight, ramps, corners, with metal opening doors, all to be full corridor modular pieces to be linked together for space station scenes.
    • Housing rooms: Fully furnished and full empty rooms, for housing within the space station.
    • Appropriate Rooms: For the proper build of a space station, or ship, I will provide: Engine room, Main Bridge, Reactors, Infirmary, main quarters, and more!
    • Elevators: Elevators are an important asset in space stations or major ships. I will provide multi-level platforms, for easier building of more floors, and with that, a few alterations of elevator models.
    • Particle systems are in the works, but not a major priority at this moment!

Metropolis:
    • Only a bit planned for now, but a lot coming soon I will post as more progress has been made:
    • Modular platforms, railings, rooms, elevators, courtyards, etc.. (in creation process)
    On initial release, Metropolis and Space Station interiors will be included.
    Interior design is the main goal for initial release, but on request, exteriors can be added as needed!
    I'll keep you posted!

I'd love to hear any requests, and I hope you like what I have so far!
    Thanks -Max

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    SecretStudio likes this.
  2. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Here's a first look at the Metropolis builds:

upload_2015-5-5_10-3-8.png

upload_2015-5-5_10-4-54.png

upload_2015-5-5_10-5-30.png

(So far, x5 glass materials included: Variances between; Glossy shine, transparent, transparent and normal emission, regular illuminated)

Video trailer we be made shortly, as this package becomes closer to release!

SecretStudio likes this.
  3. SecretStudio

SecretStudio

Interior and exterior walls would be great on your Metropolis build - I like the look of the glasswork structures. I think I would like to make a 'Space Liner' with this kit - like 'Starship Titanic' from way back.

4. hopeful

hopeful

The space station and metropolis are two parts of the same sci-fi texture pack?

It's hard for me to see details in the pictures above, but if the golden sci-fi scene above is combining stone textures with sci-fi style and lighting, that's an interesting combination. I'm also liking the use of glass.

5. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Yes, I've decided to go with something quite different, and combine two packs that you normally would not see together as one. Combinations of a "Space Station" type build, and "Metropolis" type build, can give a wide variety of unique possibilities. Imagine a massive Space Base made up of corridors and full funtionality of an in-space station like structure, with a massive courtyard in the center, consisting of a large- sized bio dome, with a Metropolis of Nature and City builds residing from within!

I like to make sure that when selling this package, that anyone who buys will be able to fill there scene as original as they need, without worrying to much about others buyers, and their possible repetition of builds!

With my packages being fully modular, I make sure and provide all, to most walls, as two-sided! So everything shown above, can be seem from within, or as an exterior. I provide the expected capability to create large scenes, where you as the creator will will have that choice if it is that of an interior or exterior scene!

SecretStudio likes this.
  6. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Ok i know i just contradicted myself a little, i think? What I posted about only interiors at first, was that i meant, i am not building ship-like exteriors for now, meaning if your scene takes place in a massive space station, etc. then you would be able to create your scene, mostly on the inside with fully modular builds. (If that makes sense?)

So for now, I am not building space ships with exteriors, only the inside structures! But if a cruiser or battleship is asked to be placed into this package, i think i could add that in if needed!

Thanks-

7. hopeful

hopeful

One suggestion with the sci-fi setting is to possibly plan for areas with a high vertical ...? A lot of designers build corridors, but rooms that stand out are usually rooms with high ceilings.

MJohnson24 likes this.
  8. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Yes, I fully agree. Even packages that I've built in the past had their corridors, and nice structures, but some lacked the high ceilings, etc. This package is definately going to be made up of many large builds. So far I have:
    • Floating platforms which measure about 100x100Meters. (i believe that one square on the grid, is one meter in unity?)
    • The metropolis photo above, that room measures about 100m long, about 48m wide, and about 32m tall.
    I have also created a massive glass bio-dome which measures it about 250m round.
    With textures at appropriate sizes, without stretching occuring.

I will be adding massive prebuilt empty platforms, too. To give a quick pick-me-up to any scene, so all you as the creator would have to do, is dress those up with appropriate pieces, or buildings!

hopeful likes this.
  9. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Update on progress:

Sci-Fi Folder:
    • Newly added Corridors, Some fully Solid, some partially made of Glass.
    • Hundreds of Walls, Platforms, Ramps, Windows, Window Walls, Bridges, etc.
    • Tons of different floors.
    upload_2015-5-10_11-46-26.png

As mentioned, this is a major modular package, like my others, (except higher qualities of detail, and with many more provided prefabs!) So far there are already over 1000 prefabs included, just within the Space folder alone, excluding the Metropolis builds!

And every build shown in these pictures above and below only share one texture type, with two alterations so far:
    • Regular (Metallic flooring and ventilation)
    • Caution Lines (Regular + Yellow and Black Caution lines in important vertices on the meshes)
    upload_2015-5-10_11-52-53.png

upload_2015-5-10_11-53-14.png

So far, just the rooms, buildings, and modular building pieces have been created. Next to be worked on are the detail objects: furnishing, piping, crates, misc objects, stairs, doors, etc.

Thank you for viewing, and I'll keep you posted on my progress as i become closer to release!

Whippets and SecretStudio like this.
  10. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Ok so I given this package a lot of thought, and majorly updated my progress!

So far in just one week of constant building, my package already has 1,871 High Detailed modular prefabs!!
    (Edited this in: I forgot to mention, that everything shown in the pic below literally shares only one texture, with 4 different alterations and looks; along with everything shown in the industrial pic at the bottom of this post!)

(
    Here's a spoiler pic, showing about 1,200 of the models, on a 500x500 terrain sized field!)
    upload_2015-5-12_17-50-45.png

This is easily my largest package created yet, and definitely one of my highest detailed packages.

Metropolis
    builds are on hold, and will be in a later update, or in a different package. This reason is because I have re-done most of the package, due to wanting to increase the qualities! Everything you see here and in some earlier posts are included!

The support of this package is almost endless for the amount of different type of sci-fi scenes that you can create! The main features supported in this package are now:
    • Facilities
    • Industrial (Demo scene I am currently working on and will post progress in pics below!)
    • Space stations
    • Labs
    And easily great for:
    (I've played many games, and can easily see these models used in any of the following!)
    • Top-Down
    • First Person
    • Third Person
    • RPG
    • FPS Shooter
    • Possibly even RTS?
    • MMO (Due to some models having a fair amount of polys, and others being highly detailed, and able to fit a lot in one scene!)
    • Mobile: I have not tested this capability in mobile, but i am sure that it would not take too much memory to create a scene out of this package for mobile platforms.
    Below are two more screenshots taken from the editor of my current Demo scene I am working on. One shows some of the level of detail in a few crates and boxes, and the other pic is of a part of my scene, with a few key builds included!

upload_2015-5-12_18-4-51.png

upload_2015-5-12_18-5-15.png

Thank you. This package is currently being finalized for part one, I am now going to be building a bunch of different demo scenes to be included in this package, including the industrial demo from the pic above.
    -Max

11. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

• Industrial Demo updated, and to be out soon for testing..
    • Now a total of 2,157 Prefabs, and growing!
    • The amount of endless modular scenes that you can create is overwhelming, which is why I will included a detailed "README" file with this package.
    • This package will come with at least two- three demo scenes, to help you with your progress of learning all of the prefabs in this Mega pack!
    • Video Trailer will be out shortly.
    • Decided price to start at $50, with an estimated total of at least 2,200 Prefabs at initial release!
    • Release date has been set to approximately by next week, into the next!
    • 90% of all models share only 1 Texture, with that "1" texture having 4 different alterations for a wide variety of model looks.
    • Polys for the most part are a fair medium to low, with some corridor models averaging 1,000 - 2,500 tris at least.
    • Most models are detailed highly, to really fill your scenes with a natural feel to the appropriate geometry for a wall, etc.
    upload_2015-5-14_16-29-47.png

12. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Ok so here's the video on my current progress, package is just about wrapped up, now for the demo creating, and tweaking and editing!

13. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

So the package has been going through submission for about a little over a week now, but while the waiting is in progress, please feel free to check out the Extreme Sci-Fi Level Creator website, where you can play the two web demos featured in this package:

http://maxwelljohnsongame.wix.com/extremesci-ficreator

14. Avalon3D

Avalon3D

This seems to be really great and awesome, and great quality and offer great potential for creating things, will see when it is available in the asset store soon

I send you my best wishes and hope you can sell a lot of these

MJohnson24 likes this.
  15. zugsoft

zugsoft

Hi,
    I like it, do you have a idea for the price?
    I need something similar for my new RTS game and my FPS game too.

16. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Yes, pricing is shown in the demo website above, starting at $50. I plan on adding a lot to this package, too.
    The starting package size is only about 100MB, due to the many texture sharing prefabs. So with that low amount of memory, it can really be tweaked/ added to a lot as needed, or requested!

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  17. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

18. zugsoft

zugsoft

Just bought :D

MJohnson24 likes this.
  19. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Thank you

20. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Looks like you did a great job with this asset. How have you set up the atlases?

21. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

This is a great question. Although i have not set up any texture atlases for this package. From what i understand is that they are quite helpful for increasing performance, reducing build sizes, etc.?

But since nearly 2,000 of these prefabs share only one texture type, I didn't see much loss in performance, etc. and was able to make large scenes with ease. Although i have not messed with the atlases, I may make them if recommended.

22. MJohnson24

MJohnson24

Hi there, I'd love for anyone to give some feedback if you've made purchase to this package! Let me know what you may or may not like about its features.

Also I will be releasing a Free LITE kit shortly, provided with some key prefabs from this package!
    thanks.