Search Unity

Colt Magnum WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Avenger84, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi guys here is a colt Magnum I have modelled not textured yet just uses the basic material shaders in z brush.
    Going to start the retopology next has anyone got any advice on a good polycount to shoot for. I always go a overkill with the polycount usually around 500 tris. Any advice would be great I see it being used in a game for x box one etc if that helps with the type of polycount I should be aiming for. Cheers guys any feedback and advice would be great :).

2. Major

Major

Usually what I aim for is to get the lowest poly I can without loosing large details. I also usually try and make circles or spheres the highest poly part of a model. After retop is done for me I try to get all the fine details back with normal maps and textures. Like lettering for example and the fine details on the hammer. But after it is all done I try to do a side by side comparison of the high and low poly models to get the two as close as possible on looks. But that is just me.

3. Avenger84

Avenger84

@Major Thanks for the quick reply some good advice there, the thing that really confuses me is the overall polycount I should aim for for example is 2000 tris acceptable for a game weapon or would this be seen as too high. Thanks agin for the reply much appreciated :)

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Just a warning: the Asset Store guidelines prevent the use of branded materials. So it can be inspired by and look identical to the gun you're modeling it after, but you should remove the embedded text and name it something else to avoid getting your asset rejected.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. Avenger84

Avenger84

@Schneider21 Thanks for the heads up :) but im not planning on selling the asset I have recently finished University and am trying to improve my portfolio to hopefully land some work.

6. Schneider21

Schneider21

Gotcha. I guess since your work was cleaner than some things I've seen on this board that people are planning on selling (including my own...), I just assumed you'd be selling this as well.

In that case, then, use as many tris as you want! If it's for a FPS game, even, 2k tris isn't necessarily too many, as long as it's not being affected by realtime lighting and ambient occlusion calculations and everything. With baked textures, I imagine it would run just fine.

As for the model itself, are the chambers and the barrel bore the same size? Because the cylinder holes look a good bit smaller than the bore, which wouldn't make sense. To be fair, I don't know anything about that particular pistol, but my feeling is that the holes in the cylinder should be much larger to accommodate the .44 caliber rounds.

7. Avenger84

Avenger84

@Schneider21 Thanks for the advice. When I was taking a few shots, this also came to mind that I modeled them too small and yes it doesn't make sense something I overlooked when modelling but luckily this is a quick fix due to the way I modeled the chamber (Phew!) Thanks again for the advice and taking the time to look at my work much appreciated :)

8. Avenger84

Avenger84

Amended the Holes the proportions look abetter now. Any feedback on my model would be great :)

9. Schneider21

Schneider21

Much better!

The only other thing I would say is to see if you could sharpen some of the grooved edges a bit. Maybe. Like the area right in front of the trigger guard, my mind is saying those edges should be more pronounced, instead of everything having a rounded-off feel to it.

But honestly, this looks very, very good as is.

10. Avenger84

Avenger84

@Schneider21 Will have a look at those edges thanks for the feedback and the positive comments very much appreciated :)

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What was the poly count for the low res base mesh you started with?
    I'd also agree with @Schneider21, 2k tris is acceptable - though he gave some good reasoning behind it.
    I was just going to suggest the modern day FPS games are probably near 2k tris.

Nice work! May also want to do an AO texture pass and use it for either/both soft shading in the diffuse and/or a muted rust for an alt. texture.

Update when you've finished the final low res gun.

12. Avenger84

Avenger84

@theANMATOR2b Thanks for the advice currently my low res is sitting at around 3000 tris but still have a lot of cleanup work to do on the topology. Thanks again for the advice really helps that I have a tri count to shoot for now, thanks for the positive comments :)

13. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi guys done the retopology got it down to around 3500 tried going slightly lower saving polys where I could but felt like I was losing some of the silouette of certain elements. Had great advice on here already really wanted to hit that 2000 tri limit however after some research found that a lot of FPS have a poly budget of around 5 to 8k. Anyway here is the low poly with the normal Map bake and AO Bake using a blinn shader in Marmoset any feedback or critiques that would help improve my model or any other thoughts you have would be great .

Mister-D likes this.
  14. Schneider21

Schneider21

15. Avenger84

Avenger84

@Schneider21 lol I guess you like it :) Cheers
    @Mister D thanks for the like

Thanks guys for taking the time to look at my work much appreciated.

16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sweet gun!
    I'd tone down the orange/yellow reflection just slightly on the metal. Prefer the muted brushed diffuse of the high poly version.
    Also the black plastic handle is too reflective and could be slightly darker. Currently it's nearly as shiny as the metal parts.
    May want to re-cook the AO with more contrast to bring out the detail the low poly model is loosing near the upper front area of the trigger.

Just some minor edits to improve the look. Great job overall!

17. Avenger84

Avenger84

@theANMATOR2b Thanks for the feedback glad you like it and great advice too . Will get onto re baking the AO. Thanks :):)

18. Avenger84

Avenger84

Going to call this done I think. Decided to dirty it up to make it a bit more interesting. Thanks to all that gave me feedback, really helps me try and improve my work. Hope you like it :)

19. Avenger84

Avenger84

Decide to add more dirt to the ammo chamber. Few more shots of the final piece :)

Schneider21 and Mister-D like this.