Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Collection of Unity Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by georetro, Mar 16, 2014.

1. georetro

georetro

Hey guys. Currently I have just started making an RTS game and for Unity there isn't a lot of tutorials that are aimed directly at the strategy genre. So what I am going to do is update this thread with links to tutorials that can help you with a strategy game. Most of these links will be aimed at C# as I am currently learning C#!

[UPDATE]: I have decided to make this into a thread not just about RTS tutorials but for a variety of genres. Below will be the different categories and different tutorials listed under them :)

CODING:

When I first started coding in C# I found this guy's series. His teaching style is very good as he creates a number of projects with you incorporating and explaining the different concepts within the program. Although it isn't in Unity, it is still a really good series to follow. Also, Barnacules worked with Microsoft on their Windows OS Team for 15 years; so you know you can trust him ;)

Jonathon Weinberger has to be one of my favourite YouTube tutors. He teaches you all things C# from the fundamentals to the damn right advanced. He has a TON of content and posts videos regularly. I would highly recommend his series.

RTS:

I just literally found this guy a minute ago. He has started his own RTS Unity game series and his first tutorial looks very promising. I would definitely check him out!

@CuCu99 recommended Unity Chat. They have a variety of tutorials including a lot on RTS games.

This guy has a blog which has 16 parts all to do with making an RTS game and the best part is it is for Unity! You should check them out as they can really help.

If you prefer videos then this guy will help you out. I haven't watched any of his videos yet but they look pretty good!

Pathfinding is something that is going to be needed for a RTS game and there is a brilliant introduction to A* pathfinding here

If you are looking to make a Turn-Based Strategy game then there is a collection of Unity tutorials here. I haven't actually had the chance to look at any of them but a few people have recommended it.

Another text tutorial is one about creating a hexagonal grid. This can be found here.

I recently found a new tutorial by Sebastian Lague. It goes over making a building system which every strategy game needs. This tutorial can be found on youtube here

RPG:

Personally, I have never attempted to create an RPG game but there are a lot of tutorials that are aimed towards this genre. The most popular person whom everyone recommends is BurgZergArcade. He has a ton of videos and you should seriously check them out.

JesseEtzler0 has a lot of videos which can be used for RPG games but not everything is aimed at this genre!

This guy has a few videos uploaded on YouTube but I have not actually watched any of them. They look quite promising :)

Naman Jain has a lot of videos uploaded on YouTube. His tutorials are mainly aimed at making a Diablo Style game and they are quite lengthy, varying from 20 - 30 minutes each.

FPS:

The FPS genre is the biggest of all genres. There are hundreds of tutorials that can be found online. Quill18Creates has a lot of YouTube videos uploaded and he has recently started a Multiplayer FPS series which can be found here. I personally recommend him as he helped me learn C# more.

Another guy is EteeskiTutorials. He has a large FPS series which can be found here. He has 53 videos uploaded for that series and this is another one which I personally recommend. If you need any help he has a Unity thread open so you can ask him questions.

A fully completed FPS tutorial can be found here. All the links to YouTube are in that post from start to finish.

If you have any more tutorials then post below and I will update it here. Thanks everyone and I hope you find this collection helpful :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. georetro

georetro

The main post has been edited now! This is not only a collection for RTS tutorials but RPG and even FPS! If you have any more which you think should be on the list then please reply below :) I hope this is useful to some of you.

[SIDE NOTE] Most of these tutorials are coded in C#!

3. supamigit

supamigit

Great set a few of them i have tried and come to some issues with scripts and well communication with the Makers... Keep it up though great few i forgot about and you had them... so glad to re find them.

4. wicked208

wicked208

thanks very userfull

5. georetro

georetro

No problem sorry it has been a while. I have been inactive! Found a website which deal with game programming etc... This is a great website if you are willing to PAY cash. It comes with hundreds of hours of videos on C++, Maths, AI, Creating a Video Games Console, 3D Modelling, Animation and it even has a few Unity Courses! You can find it here: http://gameinstitute.com/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  6. zRedCode

zRedCode

Really, thank you! I was wondering about some basic thing like camera setup for an RTs (never made an RTS before). saved my day!
    Anything like crowd movement?

7. CuCu99

CuCu99

8. zombee81

zombee81

If anyone is interested, Burgzerg is starting a new RPG series of tutorials (finally) using Unity 5! :)

9. MBennettDev

MBennettDev

Nice! Thanks for this.

10. georetro

georetro

Hey sorry I haven't replied or updated anything in a while, I've been really busy with school. Now it's summer I'm going to be making a return!

11. aimanakid123

aimanakid123

Could someone help me i didnt know how tp create rts game so could you give me a guide to create rts because im age 14 years old

12. georetro

georetro

I have a list of RTS tutorials in this post at the very top if you look. Before actually diving into a game idea, I would highly recommend going learning a programming language such as C#. I am only saying this because this is your first post and your new to the forum. Also, just because your 14 doesn't mean you will receive extra help from forum users - you will be treated like everyone else on here as long as your nice!

13. hnoor0055

hnoor0055

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  14. georetro

georetro

It's no problem! Haven't been hugely active recently because of school, so I apologise for the lack of "sharing of tutorials" so to speak!

15. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

16. jack_HK

jack_HK

17. Shiroyasha155

Shiroyasha155

thank you for everything.

18. Esteban-Gallardo

Esteban-Gallardo

As a part of a gamedev course I made a lesson related to giving commands to units that may be helpful for those of you who could be interested in RTS game development. All the code is provided in the presentation slides.