Search Unity

Coldfire Keep

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SteveJ, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm very interested at the moment in hearing negative things about Coldfire Keep. If you look at any of those screenshots and have a negative reaction to them - i.e. something jumps out at you that you really don't like etc - then please let me know.

EDIT: Will post some more screenshots soon too. Really need to do a new video as well.

2. 8 Bit Warlock

8 Bit Warlock

Hey Steve, what you have is looking great. A few Suggestions, 1 maybe add a bit more variety to the textures. Your walls, roof and floor are all a similar colour which can make everything look a bit flat. 2 add some decals like dirt to break up the repitition of the tiles a bit.

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks for the input! :)

Both of those items are already on the list. I'll be redoing ALL of the environment textures much later in the development process.

I've been looking into how I'm going to manage decals too - blood spatter, dirt, moss, etc. I've been holding off on implementing this as I was considering having certain decals (e.g. the blood) come about as a result of combat so they feel more "real". Anyway, still thinking about that stuff.

4. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thought I'd share something a little different in the form of the WIP main theme for Coldfire Keep, written and performed by my friend Evrim Leventler.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

I've been going a little crazy lately building levels (in my tedious way), and I thought it might be fun to play around with some time-lapse. Here's one of the tiny sub-levels being built, for anyone that's interested :)

6. d2king10

d2king10

I think the game looks like it is coming along pretty well, but the hud feels very heavy and bulky. I think if you just reduce the border thickness on the hud items it would help a lot (right now that border frame looks to be around 8 px wide).

7. SteveJ

SteveJ

There's been a couple of comments about the interface along the lines of what you're saying. I've grown really fond of the way it is, but I might have to overrule myself. Will have a think about it.

8. Lin3D

Lin3D

amazing...and that rat's of dogsize...

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

That's cause it's a "Giant Rat" :)

10. Lin3D

Lin3D

And Steve a small suggestion from my side...i think the HUD is disturbing the gameview a lot,maybe you can change the texture and make it a lil smaller... and i would suggest a stick control rather than keeping each side keys...

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm playing around right now with the size of the portrait areas. Which texture are you referring to though?

Stick control is definitely not an option. It's a traditional Dungeon Master (see screenshot) inspired RPG, so the control scheme is pretty much what defines it. I do have the option of full touch controls though for people who want to turn off the traditional directional controls. This is more for the "young, hip kids" though... definitely not how I would play the game :)

12. SteveJ

SteveJ

Made some tweaks.

* Window border is thinner throughout. Hence the portrait boxes are smaller.
    * Also separated them more.
    * Screenshot includes the combat buttons which animate in and out of view when enemies are nearby.
    * Also added some gradient to the window backgrounds to make them prettier. You can see that clearly in the second screenshot.

Thoughts?

13. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thought I'd post a few of David's (nipoco's) concept sketches for creatures he's been modelling for Coldfire Keep. I think they're pretty neat, and it's a shame for them to go to waste.

14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks awesome!

15. GeneBox

GeneBox

Lookin' good! Really like the clean looks!

16. SteveJ

SteveJ

I finally got around to recording a little bit of gameplay footage for everyone to check out. Let me know your thoughts.

Note that this is just running on my Mac - hence the mouse pointer. iOS version is of course touch control.

17. GeneBox

GeneBox

Love it, is there going to be some sort of attack feedback besides the sounds? Like a flash or something similar?

18. SteveJ

SteveJ

Hmm... the enemies have a flash, blood, damage display, animation, and sound :)

The characters just have damage display and sound. I was concerned that the damage display gets a little lost as it appears over the portrait, so maybe something additional wouldn't hurt.

Hmmmmm...

19. SteveJ

SteveJ

One more time-lapse from this morning's work. I think I'm done with these now. The novelty has worn off :)

20. GeneBox

GeneBox

I was thinking something like in Legend of Grimrock for example.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  21. SteveJ

SteveJ

Ahh, I see what you mean. Like an actual sword trail.

I guess I could try it out and see how it looks.

22. c-Row

c-Row

Just found this thread - very cool and inspiring. Any updates on the project?

23. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

After playing Legend of Grimrock, I can't imagine a better HUD. I understand you're not trying to copy it 100% but perhaps you could modify yours to be a little like that, or just smaller all around?

Looks great.
    Khelton

24. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Also, the environment seems much too plain!

25. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks! Should be finished at the end of this month. Final testing early next month. When it's released is up to the publisher, but I'm guessing end of April.

26. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm not trying to "copy" Legend Of Grimrock AT ALL.

27. SteveJ

SteveJ

.....or maybe end of May.

Just a quick update on Coldfire Keep. I'm done! Currently just play-testing and bug-fixing.

Will post some final screenshots, trailer, etc soon. Maybe other details if anyone is interested.

28. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

Hey we should join forces, If you have a second please check out my project axis game factory.

29. c-Row

c-Row

So, is it still coming or did it get stuck on the lower levels of the Abyss?

Looking at the screenshots, it seems that you didn't go for a 1x1x1 geometry with your building blocks but slightly stretched them along the Y axis (1x1.5x1?) - is that correct?

30. Bovine

Bovine

Yes, Steve, how's the game coming along?

We are developing a similar title (Dungeon Lord, aka Darkwurm) and we found that 1 tile high didn't look as appealing, 1.5-2 tiles being a a little more grand, with 1.25 being acceptable.

Out of interest, Steve, how big are you tiles? Ours are 3m.

Looking forward to the game. I am not surprised by the time the finishing touches are taking. We're not quite at that stage with our effort but I know how long the last 5% can take!!

31. SteveJ

SteveJ

It's still on the way. Crescent Moon wanted to rework the creature models, and that's still in progress. I'm just waiting on those new assets to come through to finalise the game and get it out. Other than that, it's good to go. It should be happening VERY soon...

My grid squares in Coldfire are 8x8' with 10' high ceilings. In Descend (my previous RPG), I used cubes (10' squared from memory) and it always felt kind of "cramped". Not in a good dungeon-cramped kind of way, but just generally squashed and bad.

32. SteveJ

SteveJ

While I'm at it, here's a couple of recent screenshots straight off the iPhone 5 screen:

$cfk_i5_1.jpg

$cfk_i5_2.jpg

33. c-Row

c-Row

Wait, 8x8 in Unity units? I have constantly scaled down my tiles to avoid stretching - maybe I was going the wrong direction?

34. Bovine

Bovine

In Dungeon Lord we have 3x3 in unity, so effectively 3m x 3m and 4.5m high (though that varies).

The actual size doesn't matter so much - we chose to stay in metres and stick with 1unit = 1m which is what Unity considers to be the case I believe. This has an affect on physics, though everything can be scaled up or down. However, deviating from the ratio can mean that forces don't have a real-world effect or it has harder to achieve.

35. Bovine

Bovine

Looking nice Steve. Did the publisher shell out for the new models?

36. SteveJ

SteveJ

Well it's all relative. For me, it's 8 modo "Game Units", which converts to 8 Unity units, etc. As long as everything that you're doing is done to the same scaling rules, then it all works out in the end. It really depends on the way you're modelling/sourcing the parts.

37. SteveJ

SteveJ

I shouldn't really discuss that sort of stuff probably.

Thanks though! I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out. I think the game looks good and is fun to play, and that's all you can really ask for :)

Can't wait to get it released.

38. Bovine

Bovine

No, that's fair enough. At best I guess it's a bit public on here :D

Yeah 8x8, 3x3, 10x10, doesn't make much difference. If you rely on any physics then 100x100 you're going to be scaling things up an uncomfortable amount, but it can still be made to work.

39. Bovine

Bovine

Are you releasing as paid I presume? I guess it's still too early to disclose the price? Did you add any IAP at all?

40. SteveJ

SteveJ

Definitely paid. No IAP. Haven't discussed the price with the publisher as yet. My assumption would be $3-$4.

41. Bovine

Bovine

How many hours gameplay not counting replay value do you reckon?

42. SteveJ

SteveJ

I estimate the average person will spend 7-8 hours to finish the game.

43. Bovine

Bovine

Sounded like good value. Keep us all posted on the release! And GL! :D

44. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks! I'll definitely post something to let everyone know when it's up for grabs on the App Store :)

45. jessee03

jessee03

The new screenshots look awesome. Do you play as a single person just traveling in a group? or?

46. SteveJ

SteveJ

It's a traditional 4-character party type of deal. You create 4 characters at the start of the game and manage each of their inventories, etc.

47. c-Row

c-Row

Are you planning any IAP content like additional campaigns after release? A game like this is practically screaming for some.

48. SteveJ

SteveJ

No plans for anything like that at this stage. I'm not really a big fan of IAP.

In the early stages I was building in doors on some levels that had a "mysterious symbol" on them. Basically the intention was to allow players to "unlock" those doors via "some undetermined method" - maybe IAP, maybe just a later update, etc. I thought I was future-proofing, but the whole thing just seemed wrong design-wise. The only thing behind those doors that a player would want to find would be "Better Items". If those existed though, I would have to build the game to take them into account during balancing, but the fact that they were optional and wouldn't be obtained until later just made the whole thing kind of complicated and silly. After much deliberation (with myself), the best answer turned out to be the most simple: don't put in the special doors; just let the player have access to everything "here and now".

Anyway, rambling a bit. But yeah... not planning anything beyond "The Game" at this point. I'm old-school, I liked games better before IAP and DLC and all that S*** :)

49. c-Row

c-Row

This man is a saint! :D

50. SteveJ

SteveJ

Nah - I love money as much as the next guy :)

I'm just one of the many developers out there who are unsuccessfully trying to recreate those video game golden days.