Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Coding sucks: Why a job in Programming is Absolute Hell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found this, don't know if anyone else has seen it but its pretty funny XD

2. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

holy crap hhhhha his voice hhhhu is annoying hhhhhu as hell hhhhhha

man hhha thats hhhhaa too long hhhuu im not listening hhhhaa to that hhhha
    lool :p

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

In a somewhat disturbing turn of events, I understood all of the video.

Pix10, JamesArndt, Dreamaster and 6 others like this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Same. I recognized all of those programming languages too and remembered exactly why I do not use Perl.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I didn't follow all of the exact programming languages. I've only ever used a few myself. But his description of a bridge sounds pretty much the same as any chemical plant I've worked in.

And I loved the comments about Unicorns.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

I was mostly referring to Brainfuck and its derivatives like Ook! :p

7. zoran404

zoran404

#NewForum

8. monkeybrainz

monkeybrainz

03:28s sums it up for soooo many projects I inherited ;)

9. landon912

landon912

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Ryiah I've never used Perl but I was recently doing some open source work but didn't know what RegEx was (implementing a RegEx Filter on part of the project was an idealfirstbug on this one). I did some research, and was rather intrigued. So I decided to try to implement a simple RegEx engine. I found this page, which coincidentally included a time complexity graph of Perl's RegEx implementation efficiency. I found it to be pretty shocking. Heck what was more damning was that a lot of of software out there use that particular implementation.

Perl has an exponential time complexity, and the implementation I was trying had constant time. Also past 29 characters RegEx could take upwards of a year in Perl (not even joking)

https://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html
    Dang did I learn a bunch doing that research too!

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

There's a reason why my temper is *much* shorter at work. Deadlines don't help, either.

@Braineeee I recently discovered while browsing OWASP that it is possible to create Denial of Service attacks using a regex. Another reason for me to dislike regexes...apart from them driving programmer to insanity :p

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

@phillip-rowlands I was almost creeped out at what an eery coincidence that was. Yes, I've been wanting to contribute to one of the OWASP projects. Cool stuff. And that link is pretty funny xD

The thing about what I said was RegEx isn't inherently bad or inefficient, its just Perl (and a number of other software projects) have very wasteful implementations. I hope I got that across.

Why someone thought they could use RegEx to parse HTML I don't even know. I assume they knew only that RegEx helps one find patterns in text. They probably didn't do any research in to how or what that means though. Anyhow, talk about stupid. Given what I know about HTML, it has many tags which won't even match with a Regular Expression.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
    Philip-Rowlands likes this.
  14. tiggus

tiggus

There was a time that your mastery of regexs was directly tied to your nerd cred :) Those who know what I'm talking about are probably comfortable writing entire programs in awk and sed.

MV10 and Martin_H like this.
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

hahaha funny video :)

16. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

Yeah, they can be useful, they're just a bit tricky to debug. Most of the ones I use are quite simple ones in JavaScript - stuff like checking if an email address contains '@' and '.' somewhere after that, which is enough to let a user know they may have mistyped their email, while allowing some flexibility for aliases, domains and stuff like that. I could just replace them with plain old string indexes in three/four lines...but a one-line regex looks so much more elegant and clever. :p

That said, some of my workmates had to learn how to parse HTML with regexes for a computer science assignment that specifically required it, and none of them have ever used it again. I think that's the story behind that answer: lots of students coming to StackOverflow to find an way to do their homework for one pointless task.

Ryiah likes this.
  17. MV10

MV10

I had the unpleasant task of teaching line-of-business users regex since our massive inter-bank transfer system needed user-maintained regex strings for validating thousands of different client account number formats from firms all around the world. I never felt closer to being burned at the stake.

18. Deleted User

Deleted User

@phillip-rowlands yea I get that. I mostly use StackOverflow to ask silly questions about curiosities I may have, or just help with a project. I'm a student but I've never used a help website to get help with an assignment. Come to think of it... maybe I should have. I've managed to complete every lab on my own while most in the class had partners, but stupid mistakes have led me to a low GPA. I want to raise it, I don't like homework much though (and to a greater degree, I dislike studying too).

I also wanted to ask why implementing RegEx would boost ones nerd cred. I mean... is it just tough to implement or something?

19. MV10

MV10

It's tough to use, even harder to decipher, never mind implementing it.

As a bonus, you can stumble into fun stuff like this:

http://www.regular-expressions.info/catastrophic.html

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hmm. I guess the better question is does anybody still use RegEx *and* why don't they if so? Would I be correct in guessing that they just use a search engine like Google?

And from what I've seen so far, RegEx isn't too hard to figure out. Might just be that I'm good with this type of thing but I can definitely understand how normal people would have trouble with it. When I first saw it it was pretty impenetrable though tbh.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

I use regex in my twitter client for more advanced filtering needs. I have a couple people who, when they talk to each other, just completely spam my timeline, so I have my client set up to mute them when they talk to each other specifically.

Martin_H likes this.
  22. Ryiah

Ryiah

Why would you use Google as a replacement for regular expressions? They serve completely different purposes.

Martin_H likes this.
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Ryiah I don't know. I just assumed they were related and if RegEx was no longer in use that might be a better alternative, at least for the web.

@Murgilod What twitter client allows that? You've piqued my curiosities now!

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

I use Night Owl, it's OSX specific but has a regex specific mute system.

25. MV10

MV10

Regex is for string pattern matching within some piece of software or (in certain cases) from an OS shell or that sort of thing. Doesn't really have much to do with end-user usage like Google.

26. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

If they all took a break at the same time... you wouldn't even make it to the break room before you ran out of bullets...................... ahahahahah hahhaha ahhahah HAHHHHAAAAA HAAAAAAAA

27. Martin_H

Martin_H

And humble too! :p

MV10 likes this.
  28. Mr-GamingWatch

Mr-GamingWatch

Wow, this is freaky. I was literally just reading this article earlier in the week and now it gets brought up here? That's odd.

However, I loved the article so much I saved it. Very relatable and it perfectly sums up my experience with programming/web development.

Deleted User likes this.
  29. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Martin_H it could just be that today sucks or something (it does) but I have to ask why others just assume an inflated ego when reading a statement like the above. Is there something wrong with having confidence?

Yeah I get it, you were joking. I'm still annoyed.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not convinced he was entirely joking, but the reason for the jab in your direction is likely the fact that you misunderstood the purpose of regular expressions despite claiming to be "good with this type of thing". They are not at all intended to be used by normal users to search data.

Deleted User, MV10 and Martin_H like this.
  31. Martin_H

Martin_H

Please just take it as a lighthearted joke and don't overthink it :).
    There's nothing wrong with having a bit of confidence, but displaying confidence, when your understanding of what some thing's intended use is, is so far off that I can't even think of an analogy (@Ryiah explained it well), is funny to me. I got a good laugh out of reading your post and was trying to return the favor by hinting at the joke "I'm the best at everything, including being humble".
    I make no assumptions about your ego and didn't intend to hurt your feelings. I'm sorry if I did so.

Edit: after thinking long and hard about the analogy thing, how about this one?

"RegEx and Google are like dogs and librarians - they both are good at 'finding' things for you, but you wouldn't ask a dog in which shelf to look for a book on string processing."

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Deleted User likes this.
  32. leegod

leegod

So why you and me programmer should receive wage of 10,000$ a month at least. If not, it means it is not that worth to do it work.
    And this is how investor or executives are greedy to hire programmer at very low cost.