Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Codey's Lab - Unity INTERACTIVE Tutorial - Support our STEAM GREENLIGHT

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Rick Love, Apr 20, 2015.

?

What feature would you most like to see added to Codey's Lab?

1. Community Comments (At the end of each Step, have a chance to ask questions or discuss)

50.0%
  2. Remote Game Preview (Use a device on your network to see the live game preview for the active code)

25.0%
  3. Course Authoring Tools (Ability for the Community to Create Additional Lessons to Add to a Course)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Source Code (A copy of all the Final Course Scripts in a project folder so they can be opened)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dictionary (An in-game dictionary of all code and unity terms that will pop-up on mouse over)

25.0%
  6. Course Wiki (A website with additional community content for each lesson)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Run Outside Unity (Run Codey's Lab on a device or as a standalone app)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Codey's Library (Display all the code and comments on a website that can be searched as reference)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rick Love

Rick Love

Updates August 7, 2015:

STEAM GREENLIGHT
    (Help us grow and create more interactive tutorials)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495179306

We are publishing Codey's Lab to steam to make it even easier to use and to find non-Unity users who would use Unity if they knew it's power

Updates June 20, 2015:

Tuesday we went live!

Check out Codey's Lab - Space Shooter - Chapter 1 on the asset store [free].

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38910

Updates June 06, 2015:

Codey's Lab - Space Shooter - Chapter 1 will be submitted to the Asset Store this week.

Check out the video below to see what it will accomplish.

Also, I have partnered with @SubZeroGaming and together we are taking Digital Gaming Institute to the next level.

Codey's Lab is the first flagship product of Digital Gaming Institute, but it will just be the beginning of cool stuff we will be producing to provide the best training in Game Development ever!

Like DGI on Facebook for the latest news:
    https://www.facebook.com/DigitalGamingInstitute

Announcing Codey's Lab:

Hey, I'm Codey. Welcome to my lab.
    I created this lab for other Indie creators like me.
    If you want to create your own worlds.
    If you have the creative spark in you.
    If you want to make it better, faster, more awesome.
    I'll show you the way.

I'll walk you through step by step.
    I'll show you how to build my worlds, my games, my adventures,
    and give you all the tools and the pieces you need to make your own.

Whether you want to just make a short game to impress your friends,
    or you want to join the Indie revolution and design your own life free from the demands of others:
    I'll guide you and empower you with everything you need.

You'll make greater worlds than I could even imagine.
    I'm just here to get you started.​

Releasing May 2015

Codey's Framework has been in full production for 3 months and will soon be released.

We are looking for a few beta testers to provide feedback so that we can create the best User Experience.

Features
    • Full Game Projects and Topical Courses
    • Step be step instructions built into the Unity Editor
    • Run the tutorial in the game preview window or as a separate window in the Unity Editor
    • See a live Game Preview of how the code effects the game
    • Type the Code Yourself with the instructors feedback
    • Practice finding mistakes in the code
    • Understand each component in the code as it is explained by the instructor
    • Review your understanding by taking the quiz
    • Copy the code and paste into your own project
    • Navigate to any lesson in the course and see live results in the running game preview
    • Autosave keeps track of your exact location even if Unity crashes
    • [Future] Learn on the go and run your tutorials on any device with the Codey's Lab app
    Codey's Lab Roadmap

Codey's Test Arena [Done]

A single room scene that demonstrates and tests individual game scripts.
    This allows the user to have a clear picture of the results of each segment of code.

The Code Room [Beta Testing - Releasing in May 2015]

The code editor that actually presents the tutorials.

Codey's Assitants [Done]

The cubimals from Glitch the Game have been wondering aimlessly without a virtual home for many years.
    Codey has given them a new home and a new purpose where they will help guide you through individual coding tasks.
    Glitch the Game - Public Domain Art - http://www.glitchthegame.com/public-domain-game-art/

Codey's Games [Ongoing Production - 1st Release Coming Soon]

These are the collection of genre focused whole game tutorials:

• Codey's Space Shooter
    • Codey's Match-3
    • Codey's Run
    • Codey's Platformer
    • Codey's First Person Shooter
    • Codey's Fight
    • Codey's Tower Defense
    • etc.
    • Anything game type you want

These games will be prioritized according to community voting.
    These are intended for Beginner-Intermediate level (someone who has a basic understanding of C#).

Codey will be the protagonist in each and we will use a standard set of assets to focus on the code.

Codey's Special Topics [Future]

These will be a collection of advanced game tutorials that cover specific topics.
    These are intended for Intermediate-Advanced programmers who are ready to dive deep into C#.
    • Codey's Custom AI
    • Codey's Custom User Interface
    • Codey's Custom Networking
    • Codey's Custom Asp.Net MVC WebApi Backend Integration
    • etc.

Codey's Library [Future]

Codey's Library will be useful not only for learning, but also for Game Production by providing a huge collection of simple code snippets that can easily be used in many games.
    The code snippet library will include a searchable database of all content from all of Codey's Tutorials.
    A user can search for a specific task or code snippet from any tutorial to accomplish a specific task.
    Then, the user can learn that snippet by running through it as a short tutorial lesson to understand how every part of it works.

Codey's Shaders [Future]

We will expand the tutorial framework to support other languages like Cg in order to provide tutorials on custom shader development.

Codey's Q&A [Future]

Integration with the community providing Q&A tied to specific tutorial content.
    User's can ask each other questions about a specific step in a tutorial. Then the lesson author, or other users, can answer those questions.
    This will also act as feedback to the author to help make improvements to the course content.

Codey's Adventure [Future]

This will be a massive game that will teach everything from ground zero to more general audience.
    Instead of being a tutorial to build a game, it will be a game where coding is part of the story and game mechanics.

The user will play the role of Codey in his environment.
    Here you will learn that Codey is an A.I. game character who became sentient and discovered a way to hack into his own code and the code of the game world.
    He uses his skills to hack himself and his world and eventually breaks out of his original game and starts a multi-genre adventure.

---

Cost

We want the courses to be very reasonable and are expecting popularity to keep the cost down.
    We expect small courses to run around $5-$20 while larger courses will approach $50-$100.

Remember that each course is a complete production ready game project and will guide you through the production of your own project of that genre.

Also, there may be options for a monthly subscription for those who want more content at a cheaper price.

After we have seen the market for these courses, it might be possible to release free courses as well...

Note

(I am an full time Indie Game Developer and this is my main source of income. I don't want to be rich, I just want to be free and I hope these tutorials will help you achieve that as well.)

Also, I have been discussing with a well known Unity developer about partnering in this. We will announce that partnership when it becomes official. I look forward to that so that we can make this more awesome for the whole community.

---

Produced by Digital Gaming Institute:
    https://www.facebook.com/DigitalGamingInstitute

---

Codey's Twitter Account:
    https://twitter.com/codeyslab

Codey's Lab Youtube Playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9UZYpRwgvW3Hlef4Uh9UaaXCjX5Tek3e

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    SubZeroGaming likes this.
  2. Gametyme

Gametyme

I would like to beta test.

3. Rick Love

Rick Love

Great Gametyme, I'll invite you to the beta testing conversation...

4. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

By production ready, you mean with all UI, Scores, Achievments, Ads, multi level, lelvel scene selection, etc which will make a game called "production ready" and all these things?

If yes, then I would like to take a part also.

5. Rick Love

Rick Love

Hey Daler,

Yes, absolutely.

In fact, we will even throw in an appendix on how to publish to the app stores, Google Play, Amazon, and ITunes. (All of our games will be published on the app stores, so we will develop a very streamlined way to get that done fast.)

But that's not ready yet:

First, we will release each of those as topical courses.
    Then, we will include those topics in our game projects.

So it will be like this:

- Codey's Space Shooter Core (Basically everything needed for a single level: game mechanics, simple UI, simple local high score)
    - Codey's Topics: Ad Integration (Ad Integration with Unity Ads, and maybe one or two other popular ad networks)
    - Codey's Topic: Level Menu (Multi-level selection menu with infinite depth support, i.e. galaxies, worlds, stages, levels, etc.)
    - Codey's Topic: Save Games (Serialization and Persistence of User Progress)
    - Codey's Topic: Achievements (Building an achievement system and decorating your game code with achievement markers)

Then, we will come back and expand the Game Core to include everything:

- Codey's Space Shooter (Core + Ads + Levels + Save Games + Achievements, etc.)

Also, once we complete a subsystem, it will be easy to reuse that in each genre game.

Our primary goal is to create a comprehensive tutorial for each major genre. We want to produce the "10 mind-blowing, hands-down best, most comprehensive, most awesome tutorials for Unity to help you actually publish your first game and become a true Indie Game Developer."

Oh, also we will focus on single-player local-only games so that no web server is required.

However, if community demand is sufficient, we will expand each of these topics to work with a webserver using Asp.Net MVC WebApi (using a pure-C# entities code first generated database and free MS Azure web hosting). Also, if we go this route, will likely get into how to create an HTML5 online community that integrates with your game's assets and user data.

So, I'll invite you to the beta testers conversation.

6. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

It sounds awesome. One more thing to clarify, are we gonna pay those 5-20$ per each "Codey's Topics"? but not for the complete game?

7. Rick Love

Rick Love

@Daler We will need to work out a system where if someone purchased some of the components or the game core, they would not have to pay the full price for the whole project.

However, since we are primarily selling through the Unity Asset Store, and they have no system for giving discounts, we are still looking at how that will work.

8. Shadeless

Shadeless

Hey there, this looks really promising and I'd like to beta test and provide criticism if there are still slots available. :)

Cheers

9. Rick Love

Rick Love

@Shadeless Great, I'll invite you to the beta conversation...

10. Mike4Unity

Mike4Unity

Would also be interested in beta testing and offering constructive feedback.

11. Rick Love

Rick Love

@Mike4Unity I sent you an invite to the Beta Test Conversation. Let me know when you might be free.

12. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

I took a part in his testing module. The way it's created is amazing, something unique which you will not find anywhere. I'm telling to you like a person, who went through a shtload amount of video tutorials and books.

13. Rick Love

Rick Love

@DalerHakimov

Thank you for your comments!

I hope this will transform the way tutorials are made and that we can take software development training to a brand new level.

BTW, can I quote you on our website?

14. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

yeah, go ahead.

15. Bluie

Bluie

I would also be interested in beta testing. Looks promising and a great way to learn.

16. rahuxx

rahuxx

yes looks really nice. If beta testers excepted I am in to learn.

17. 0poku

0poku

I would love to beta test this!

18. rahuxx

rahuxx

Looks like the slots are full for beta testers. :(

19. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

20. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Very useful for beginners like me.

21. Rick Love

Rick Love

We will be releasing Codey's Lab Space Shooter Chapter 1 this week.

22. Rick Love

Rick Love

We can still use beta testers. I'll send an invite.

23. kriket

kriket

Would also be interested in beta testing and offering constructive feedback.

24. Rick Love

Rick Love

25. Rick Love

Rick Love

We are researching adding some new features to Codey's Lab.

Complete the poll at the top to give your feedback.

26. Rick Love

Rick Love

27. arumiat

arumiat

How's it going on getting the next chapter out?

28. Rick Love

Rick Love

@arumiat Chapter 3 was released last week. Make sure to upgrade if you haven't done so already.

arumiat likes this.
  29. Rick Love

Rick Love

30. dgeorgak

dgeorgak

Hey @Rick Love

can you please confirm if the tutorial is complete, or if it is going to be completed any time soon?
    It seems from the reviews that it is not complete. Quoting a review from 2 days ago: "The author never came through on the last 2 chapters and there's never been any further communication. While the 3 he put together are cool, this is an incomplete project and I'd look elsewhere or a good tutorial."

Thanks in advance for your reply

31. wolfen231

wolfen231

Still not complete. Still no word. As you can see they have not responded here either.

32. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough demand for Codey's Lab and we discontinued development.

There are hopes for a future online interactive platform, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

I'm currently working on an educational website at the moment that will offer video content releasing soon. You can follow my youtube channel to be updated on that.

33. wolfen231

wolfen231

Why have you not had this deprecated? There is no sign i saw at quick glance except for this post months and months later that says its not in development anymore. =(

34. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Last post on this thread was from 6 months ago. I believe the community was updated on the facebook page. Not enough interest was shown.