Search Unity

Coconut Palm Tree Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Baldinoboy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey Unity users.

Here is my Coconut Palm Tree Pack.

*Contains 12 coconut palm trees made with the Unity tree creator.

*Contains diffuse, normal, specular, and translucency maps.

*All trees have capsule colliders set up.

*Diffuse texture edited from 1024 to 2048.

*All trees use the textures from the first tree. Helps a lot on performance.

Only $5 on the store

Demo

Unity 4 Demo

Store Page

This was my first upload to the store and I have to say I love the Unity Asset Store and probably anything else having to do with Unity.
    Hope you guys have fun with it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Eric2241 likes this.
  2. Eric2241

Eric2241

Awesome!

3. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks. Glad You like it.

Eric2241 likes this.
  4. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

1.8 is out. Worked on the bark texture. It is now more PBS friendly and has a much nicer normal. Hope you guys like it.

Here is a screenshot:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Eric2241 likes this.
  5. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey guys. 1.9 is out. A new very nice leaf texture.

Also improved bending. To get a better look check out the Demo in the first post.

Eric2241 likes this.
  6. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Have a few updates that have been on the store.

Update 1.91(Unity 4 version)
    *Unity 5.0 ready!

*Shadow texture externally edited to match diffuse texture. This will be undone if trees are edited and will result in artifacts showing up in the leaves.

Update 2.0 (only for Unity 5 version. Unity 4 version is still 1.91)
    *Lowered the trunk width and increased the flare height to give a smoother lower trunk. Slightly lowered the tri count.

*Used the AFS Foliage tool to convert the trees to be compatible with the Advanced Foliage Shaders(AFS not included).

*Created a prefab from each tree separate of the editable tree creator trees. This makes it a little easier and protects from texture change/loss. *Included a custom shader for the bark and leaves. Just the normal optimized tree creator that are unhidden and the leaf shader has addshadow added to protect from leaf artifacts.

Update 2.01

*Lowered the specularity of the leaves on the treecreator trees texture and lowered the shininess of the leaves on the AFS texture.

So Coconut Palm Tree Pack is setup for Unity 5 and also Foliage Shader v4. New prefab setup makes it a lot easier to use these trees and edit them without damaging the edited textures. The Unity 4 version still uses a custom shadow texture but in Unity 5 they are using a edited tree creator shader so it does not even need a shadow texture.

Eric2241 likes this.
  7. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I have to say this is one of my best purchases from the Asset Store. Well done on the models, and textures.

For anyone wondering about purchasing this; the models and textures and the animations all compliment each other. The windzone sway is perfect and represents a gentle breezy day.

To fully compliment this pack, the addition of new models such as a coconut tree stump, tree trunk, coconuts, and branches/fronds on their own would be worth paying extra money for an expansion pack.

Also, the addition of AFS support was a great idea, as that shader asset is both a revelation, and an essential addition for foliage dependent games.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thank you very much. Glad you like it. I have been wanting to have AFS support and with the multiple UVs and the AFS tool update I had to do it.

That is one request I have had. Something I need to do. It would be nice to have coconuts in the pack with the name it has;). When I add those I might raise the price but will not charge does who have already purchased it.

Thanks again for the kind words and advice.

I love to work on any ideas or problems . So let me know if anyone has any.

I have a quick question if anyone can answer. Does anyone want the older textures? I believe there are two bark and one leaf textures from older versions. Kept them in case anyone wanted them. For the future update though let me know if I should just trash them to make room for other textures. Thanks

Eric2241 likes this.
  9. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Baldinoboy, if you have other textures I think it would be a good idea to have an alternative texture within the pack. Currently, the package only weighs 33MB, so the texture could only benefit the pack and users. Also, I have left the above review on the asset store page.

If you could create a few dried out fronds that can litter after falling off the tree, and also the few suggestions I made, that would be awesome.

10. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thank you for the review. Also thanks for the ideas.

For the broken trunk, dead leaves, and even the coconuts I will have to do that as custom trees. I do like the tree creator but the texture processor it has is not great. So if I add a coconut to the current trees(I have tried) it destroys the rest of the tree. Turns into a blurry mess. So the only correct way to fix this is model a custom tree in a 3d app and import it using the Custom Tree Importer. It would be a lot of work to do all the trees like this but for parts like a broken trunk and dead branch. Will throw some coconuts in there too.

11. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Good job Baldinoboy, it's a shame about the tree creator, such a long work around.

Thank you for the offer to include it in an update for all those who have bought it, but you should consider an add on pack for $5 or at least raise the price by $5.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and you're welcome.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Let me correct an unfinished sentence of mine.

It would be difficult to do this for all the trees but for smaller parts and a few new trees it will not be too bad.

13. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Well clarified, that's a relief :)

14. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey guys. Sorry for not getting the update out yet. Been really busy lately and probably the rest of this month. So I plan on uploading the custom trees, trunks update next month. Will update with any info.

Thanks

Eric2241 likes this.
  15. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Still have not dove into the modeling still but have made a shader for the bark and leaves in Shader Forge. So will use the regular treecreator tumbling shader and this custom shader for the update. Here is a quick video of a test with the new custom shader. Using a few of the trees from the current Coconut Palm Tree Pack.

Eric2241 likes this.
  16. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    Good to see the dev on the thread, ,your palms look very well done. Thought it was dead, proof none ! ;) I might give it a try as support is still alive!;)
    cheers

17. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @eaque,

Thanks! Yeah will support any packs as long as it is possible. I am not going to add anything to this pack in the near future but will always make sure it is updated to work.

Cheers!

18. eaque

eaque

I bought your pack and i'm gonna leave a 5stars review cause it's perfect and so professional and easy to use!
    I'm still tweaking them to my needs, fantastic !!
    btw, if i delete some leaves nodes am i gonna get less tris and verts? My project is toony so i don't need lot of verts...
    Once again great pack many thanks!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  19. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Thanks man!

Yeah you can do a few things to save tris. Remove branch nodes that you might not need. Also you can lower the Base LOD setting in the main node. It will make the trunk really low poly but will save a good amount of tris.

I will PM you with an edited package that you can test out.

eaque likes this.
  20. BrokenVector

BrokenVector

Hey, I'm not sure if it's a compatibility issue with 2017.3.0p3 or an issue with my project, but I'm getting extremely blurred billboards and cutting of the billboards against background water. Below is an image with the billboard distance set very low to exaggerate what I'm getting. Any ideas?
    upload_2018-3-12_21-17-27.png

21. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi @BrokenVector

I have no idea what would be causing that issue. The trees are just using the tree creator shaders. The water issue is normal unfortunately and is not new. The unity billboards do not work well with alpha sorting.

I will try testing this out and seeing if the billboards do this for me in 2017.3. Have you used them in any other projects, scenes?

22. BrokenVector

BrokenVector

I just tried it in another scene in the same project and it seems to work fine now. It must be something in the scene that's causing it. I'll post here if I figure out what was causing it. Thanks

23. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Oh alright. Yeah let us know what the issue is when you find it. All I could think is Post Effects or something that edits the billboards, AFS?

24. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hi guys, Just wanted to let you know that I made this pack free. Not going to depreciate it anytime soon and will update it in the next couple months to make sure compatibility with 2018 and also for AFS 5.

Thank you to all the user that helped supporting my work by purchasing this pack!

Cheers!

BrokenVector and eaque like this.
  25. eaque

eaque

my pleasure!:)

Baldinoboy likes this.