Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dantus, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ZJP

ZJP

Done !!!

2. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi Dantus

Any update on my issue?

Cheers

Gian-Reto

3. Dantus

Dantus

Sorry, I didn't have the time to check it yet. I just found out the the link is not anymore valid. Could you give me the another link. You may also pm me the link. I will have time today to look over the issue!

4. Dantus

Dantus

We are resolving the issue through pm. It is caused the sorting of transparent meshes. It is not caused by the Cloud System.

5. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Got it work quickly after our short skype session.

I just copied the shaders and created new versions that used the "Transparent-1" Queue. As the problematic Objects are Background objects and drawn behind all other objects in the scene, this hack is not a problem for me.

Quick explanation for other people comming across the same issue (tansparent objects being sorted the wrong way): Check your objects origin point.

As Dantus explained to me, Unity sorts the Tansparent objects front to back depending on their origin points. Which, in my case, was in the middle of the scene as I used a cut-off skydome for an atmospheric effect, shich uses a transparent shader.
    Of course this will never be sorted correctly with other transparent geometry before it, like the clouds from the cloud system.

This is a general problem with the way unity treats transparent shaders combined with weird geometry like mine, and, as Dantus said before, NOT a problem of the Cloud system.

Dantus, many thanks for your support and the time you invested into this problem. It is greatly appreciated!

6. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Hello Dantus,

May I enquire as to what you mean exactly when you say that the free version cannot be improved?

Thank you.

7. Dantus

Dantus

There were lots of ratings in the asset store for the free version and some reviews as well. If I remember correctly all of the reviewers gave 5 star ratings, with the exception of two who were giving 4 stars. As the average rating was only 4 stars, it is pretty obvious that many people seemed to have issues with it, but no one reported anything, with the exception of a few minor issues. There were between 750-950 downloads per month, but if almost no one is interested to give feedback, it is not possible to improve the product. And as a publisher it is quite frustrating.
    I tried to improve that situation several times in different ways, but nothing changed. It had no effect and so the only logical consequence was to remove both the Cloud System Free and the Decal System.

The situation is different for paid products. The customers paid, if they are not interested giving feedback, it is their decision.

8. ZJP

ZJP

This.
    I understand now why you remove your free assets.

9. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

Hi,

does Cloud System work with vertices or meshes? So, for example, one could create clouds in the shape of a car model or character model?

Thanks!

10. Dantus

Dantus

The Cloud System only works with those cube shapes in which the particles are created. You may try to mimic the shape of a mesh with those cubes, but it doesn't work out of the box.

11. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

So one can't directly manipulate the particle positions inside the cube shapes?
    Get the mesh vertex position -> set the particle position.

12. Dantus

Dantus

You can set the position, color, the z rotation, size and I think a few more parameters per particle. That is not a big deal. I expected you wanted to fill the car shape based on the mesh data. Just placing the particles at the vertex positions is straight forward if you have some basic coding knowledge.

13. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

That's great! Thanks for the quick answers!

14. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Hi Dantus

I have a question that might be stupid...

I currently try to build a variation of my current scene that is set at dawn instead of nighttime. to achieve that Sunset look, the clouds should be lit from the side.

Now, the vertical colours seem to be the obvious solution to this problem, but I don't see an option to turn the vertical colors to follow the light direction.

Is there any way how I could "turn" the vertical colour direction to match my lighting?

Of course there is the option to select a light source, but the effect is rather subtle it seems, so I would like to boost that somewhat with the vertical coloring.

Of course, if this is not possible for now I will see what I can do just with the light source alone.

Thanks in advance for any help

Gian-Reto

15. Dantus

Dantus

Shading groups are supposed to be used exactly for that. They react to the rotation of the light source. The effect can be made more dramatic with a good setup. You may try to use a combination of tint and shading groups.
    Take care that the center of the shading group matters as well!

Let me know if you need further help!

16. gian-reto-alig

gian-reto-alig

Did not know that... I will give it another try and post again if another problem pops up.

thanks for the quick response!

Gian-Reto

17. WavyRancheros

WavyRancheros

How do you do the soft blending between the particles, and the vertical gradient in the Custom Renderer? I want to modify the shaders for more control, but currently I lost both the blending effect and the vertical gradient. The cloud shader itself seems very simple, so I take it all of those effects are done via scripts?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  18. Dantus

Dantus

The majority of the effects are achieved with vertex colors. The vertex colors are set by script, but the shader needs to support vertex colors as well. Make sure to use a rendering method that support the effect you want to achieve.

19. Fredz

Fredz

Hello, I'm new to Unity and I just discovered your Cloud System plugin. Would it be possible to make the free version available for download somewhere else than the Unity Asset Store so I can try it ? Thank you.

ALUNBRA likes this.
  20. Dantus

Dantus

The free version was completely removed and is not anymore available.

21. scheichs

scheichs

Could you please edit the start post to give some information about mobile support?

22. Dantus

Dantus

I have tested the Cloud System on iOS and Android and according to customers, it also works on Windows Phone, though with a little workaround. What kind of information do you need exactly?

23. jpg

jpg

Hi Dantus, could you elaborate on the "little workaround" that had to be made for Windows Phone? I'm using your cloud plugin successfully on iOS, Google Play and Amazon, but when I try to build for Windows Store, I get the error:

The type or namespace name 'Edelweiss' could not be found...

Thanks for your help!

24. Dantus

Dantus

According to the information I got from some customers, it is sufficient to delete CloudSystem.Runtime.dll and CloudSystem.Editor.dll and then extract the source code, that is contained within the source unitypackage.
    Let me know if you need further information.

25. jpg

jpg

I had actually been using the old free version, so yesterday I purchased the plugin to give this a shot. Extracting the source code got rid of the error I was having, but now I'm getting a new one:

The type or namespace name 'WaitCallback' could not be found...

I was wondering if you could provide any direction on how to get around this one?

26. Dantus

Dantus

I am going to investigate this.

27. LeagueofGeeks

LeagueofGeeks

Hi,

Do you have a full source purchase option?

Also do you have a Unity5 compatible version?

Regards,
    Tom.

28. Dantus

Dantus

The version in the asset store comes with dll's by default. But additionally there is a unitypackage with the whole source code for the Cloud System. The version in the asset store already contains the whole source code.
    I will test the Cloud System later today whether it is still compatible with Unity 5 Beta. But be assured once Unity 5 is officially released, there will be an updated to integrate it better into Unity 5.

29. Dantus

Dantus

I just tested the Cloud System in Unity 5 (B22). Everything works as expected after the automatic update process with one exception. The lightning shader doesn't work, but this can easily be resolved. Everyone who needs the updated version before the next release can send me an email or a pm.

30. peterahou

peterahou

Hi,
    Was the Cloud System ever updated for Unity 5? I noticed that the latest version on the asset store is from Aug 15, 2013.

31. Dantus

Dantus

There will be another update for 4.6 and then the switch to Unity 5 will most likely take place. But the Cloud System itself is fully functional in Unity 5. The only exception is the shader, for which you simply need to mail me with your invoice number.

Hope this helps

32. jashan

jashan

Hi there, I've purchased Cloud System a while back and now finally get to use it. Looks awesome, and first impression is that it's also easy on performance, which is very important for my project, which is a VR project (so I need to never miss 90 FPS).

On Unity 5.3.2p2, there are a few shader errors related to the lightning / thunderstorm shaders (vert o not properly initialized, I believe - don't have the project open right now but you'll see it immediately when you import on Unity 5.3.2p2 or probably also some earlier versions).

The real problem I'm running into, however, is that the billboards of the particle systems turn with the camera ... which in a VR game looks fairly terrible. It's not that obvious with clouds that are a little more distant and on the same level as the player - but with large clouds right below the player, it looks fairly terrible.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Also, are there any more recent updates? (Unity is currently changing at a kind of breathtaking pace - I'm also struggling to keep my own Asset Store packages up to date which also have dependencies on other packages which also move way too fast IMHO ;-) ).

33. X-Manolo

X-Manolo

Hi,
    I juste buy your plugin and try it, it's very good. I have one or two questions, is it possible to animate the clouds ? How is it working for that ?

Second thing, when i take the "lightningCloud" prefabs, all the particles are purple square... It seems that it's coming from the CloudMaterial.

Can you help me ?

Thx a lot

34. ollieclarke

ollieclarke

Hi,

Just bought this plugin to run with Unity version 5.4.0f3
    Unfortunately it crashes this version of Unity.

Will there be an update to enable it to run?
    Fingers crossed, it looks like a great plugin.

Thanks.

35. JohnDraisey

JohnDraisey

Will this plugin be updated for Unity 5.6? I'm working on an RPG with airships, and it would be great to have interactive clouds.

36. laurienash

laurienash

Hi - just wondering if this plugin is fully working with Unity 5.6 before I buy it?

Thanks!

37. alesandramiroquesada

alesandramiroquesada

Hi! I was wondering if this plugin works of VR, specifically Oculus rift.

Thanks!!

38. jashan

jashan