Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dantus, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Dantus

Dantus

Cloud System 1.5.1 is now under review. Have a look at the release notes.

2. rygaar

rygaar

Are you still planning to implement animation of the clouds?

3. Dantus

Dantus

@rygaar: Absolutely YES! Even if a prototype has already been implemented, I still have to spend a significant amount of work on it. The main focus and difficulty is to find solutions to integrate it into the Unity Editor. I can't promise anything, but I am working on it.

4. rygaar

rygaar

Good to hear. I'll be watching out for that feature to be added.

cheers

5. SuIXo

SuIXo

Hey this is ElementGillot from Youtube today. I just got the account for the forum.

Just wanted to say that, after trying these awesome clouds with the day/night cycle, the only thing missing is a script to change the actual colors to night colors. Like having Day colors and Night colors, or even maybe dawn and sunset. I know I can do it myself (i guess i can access the colors) but to have it done and to just need to access a slider would be useful and quick.
    EDIT: Well I found tint is perfect for this, at least for the light intensity simulation.

Also an awesome feature would be to have prefab clouds for each real type of cloud, like stratus, cumulus, cirrus and all.

And the full version is very good. I love the lighting, I honestly think those are some of the best (if not THE) clouds I've seen.

PS: A spherical shape would come in handy too. Don't know if it can be done now.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. Dantus

Dantus

Welcome to to forum!

Thanks for your productive feedback! I will have a closer look at all those suggestions as soon as I have some spare time. Awesome ideas!

7. SuIXo

SuIXo

Quick question; how do I dynamically change the tint of the cloud?
    I can access the tint (from a script applied to the cloud), but when the code changes it, the cloud just dissapears.

I'm telling him to equal the tint color in "CS_Cloud" to the second script public color variable. Which I choose. The second script would have 4 colors corresponding to each quarter of the day.
    Should I modify the "CS_Cloud" script directly? Thing is I don't really want to mess it up.

EDIT: Btw, the shading group does work now with only applying the sun (without the moveShadingGroup script) Maybe it's only the free version which don't work.

8. Dantus

Dantus

It sounds as if you apply a color which has an alpha of 0, meaning invisible. Make sure that the color you are assigning to the tint has an alpha value of 1.0.
    If you are working with color variables that can be changed in the inspector, it's usually the easiest way to initialize them already in the declaration, to make sure that the alpha is not 0.

Edit: Having another script in the cloud that changes the tint of your CS_Cloud instance is totally valid and you won't mess anything up like that. The worst thing you could do is to modify any code of the Cloud System! This will not anymore work in the next version (1.6.) which is currently under review by Unity.

Code (csharp):
    1. public Color someTintColor = Color.white;

9. Dantus

Dantus

If you change the renderer to Custom Simple, you are going to see the bug you discovered in action :). It is already resolved in my code and will be included in the next release, so version 1.6.1 or 1.7.

10. SrBilyon

SrBilyon

+1 for this suggestion.

11. SuIXo

SuIXo

Ok I'll take a look to the alpha. Thanks!

12. SuIXo

SuIXo

You were right. The alpha is being set to 0. When I comment out the line where I change the tint and run, the alpha stays at 1.

And when I try to change the alpha (get comp.tint.a = 1) it says it cannot modify it as it's not a variable.

EDIT: nevermind, I found out that changing the alpha of the perso tint works perfecly. I guess when you input a color the alpha is automatically set to 0 or something like that.
    So I just set the alpha to 1 for all colors and then I code the tint change.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  13. Dantus

Dantus

As tint is a property and not a variable, you can not access it like that:
    Code (csharp):
    1. yourCloudInstance.Tint.a = 1.0f;
    Instead you have to assign the whole color:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Color newColor = new Color (yourRed, yourGreen, yourBlue, 1.0f);
    2. yourCloudInstance.Tint = newColor;

14. Dantus

Dantus

To everyone who purchased the Cloud System: It would be awesome if you could rate it or even write a review in the Asset Store. Thanks in advance :)

15. Complex

Complex

Hey Dantus, nice work here! i downloaded the free trial hoping it would solve a couple of issues for me but i have not yet figured out whether the tool wil help me or not.
    I need to randomly create clouds in-game, as far as i was able to, i could only create prefabs but was not yet able to mess arround with the clouds properties and attributes via scripts.
    I'll be taking a look at the API a little more but maybe you could guide me a bit further.
    Another thing a noticed is that if i have the clouds move with
    PHP:
    transform.Translate(Vector3.forward Time.deltaTime windSpace.World);
    or even fly arround the scene, the particles get a bit glitchy sometimes (im using demo prefabs).

Id like to create a constant random clouds and it would be great if i could use all those awesome properties and attributes to make the clouds fade, change color via day-night, size and mess arround with its density.
    Thanks again for this great job, im looking forward to this and hope i can make a good use of it!

16. Complex

Complex

ok so i did a little further research and was able to access some of the cloud's properties, i dont know if this is the best way of doing it but i hope it will help somebody:

Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject MyCloud;        
    2.          MyCloud = Instantiate(Cloud, transform.position, transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    4.         CS_Cloud CloudComponent = MyCloud.GetComponent("CS_Cloud") as CS_Cloud;
    5.             Color newColor = new Color (255, 0, 0, 1.0f);
    6.             CloudComponent.Tint = newColor;
    so, u place this script into a "Cloud spawn point" and ull get your prefabe'd cloud being spawned with the tint gone red
    i did this just to test it out ofc but by doing this u might be able to create constant random clouds.
    hope this is usefull for anybody out there!

17. Dantus

Dantus

@Complex: Could you explain what you mean with glitchy?
    Cloud fading and color changing are easily achievable at runtime. You found the color changing in your second post. That exist for fading and a lot of other things too. Size and density can not be directly changed at runtime. You need to find workarounds for them. For the density you could e.g. modify the alpha of the tint. If you want to change the size, you have to update the position of each particle and modify the size of each particle too.
    The Effect scene has some scripts that modify the clouds at runtime. In the free version of the Cloud System, you have the FadeCloud and the MoveShadingGroupCenter as example scripts for runtime modifications.

Hope this helps.

18. Complex

Complex

Hi! Thanks for your quick reply! Ive been toying a little bit with this and seems gr8, i yet have to try your method to change randomly density but seems like a good idea!
    As for glitchy:
    when i move the clouds of the cammera, some particles seem to overlap each other or some texture tiles are wrongly loaded (im just guessing here) i took a couple of snapshots which i attached
    i tried different rendering methods and changing quality under unity but it did not solve the glitch. maybe u know what im doing wrong xD

$ex1.jpg $ex2.jpg $ex3.jpg

19. Dantus

Dantus

I may only guess what the cause is.The easiest way to find the reason for me would be, if you send me the cloud as unitypackage via email. I would then have a look at it.

20. Dantus

Dantus

21. Complex

Complex

Hey Dantus! thanks for reply again and let me tell you that i tested the glitch out in another computer and it did not show up. I know my laptop has some wrong installed videocard drivers so im pretty sure that was it!
    Ill let you know if anything else goes wrong!

Again, guys if you are searching for some artistic clouds for your game, this system does some excelent job!

22. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Hi,

I have recently purchased the cloud system. Thank you for creating it. :) I'm trying to achieve an effect where the cloud particles react to the camera when the camera flies through it. In particular - I would like to control the individual particle properties (position, rotation, transparency [if possible])

Can this be done?

I can currently read individual particle data via CS_Cloud.ParticleAt(), but I cannot modify the particle data (it has no effect).
    How can I manipulate individual particles?

I hope you'll be able to help me. Thank you very much!

EDIT: Sorry, just to clarify - I am aware that we can manipulate the entire cloud (changing position/shadinggroupcenters/fading etc), so my question is on manipulating the individual particles (because it is more realistic for my usage), not the whole cloud. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  23. Dantus

Dantus

@DragonDrumstick: Yes, this is possible! You need to call CS_Cloud.SetParticleAt (...) to return the changed particle to the cloud.

24. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Thank you very much! :)

I have another question: Can I change the fading/transparency of the particle?
    (currently it seems like I can change the size, position, and rotation only)

Looking forward to your reply. :)

25. Dantus

Dantus

The particle transparency can not be set. That is true.
    I had that in an early prototype or more precisely a color per cloud particle. I dropped it because I did not expect that any one would need it :( and it would just consume memory...
    I am going to check the code as soon as I find some time and I will do my best to integrate it. Be prepared that it is going to take some time and I can't promise anything! But I will check it!

26. Aetherei

Aetherei

Looks great!
    Do you have a rough approximation of the ppi of the clouds rendered?

27. Dantus

Dantus

Could you reformulate the question? I don't understand what you mean.

28. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello, does this run on iOS/Android too?
    I mean, has it been optimised for that nowadays?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  29. Dantus

Dantus

Yes! I am going to include at least one mobile specific scene in the next release. The performance can be critical if you are very close to the cloud with the camera (overdraw is critical on mobiles). Use CloudMaterial for the clouds to achieve the best possible performance.
    Those tips are valid for both Cloud System and Cloud System Free.

30. Dantus

Dantus

31. dbora

dbora

I'm receiving a cross compilation error.

I am using the latest version of Unity: 3.5.5f2
    I have tried with symlinked and non symlinked unity libraries
    I am using Particle Group/ShadingGroup and the Shader is Cloud/Soft Cloud

Thanks for your help! I will keep digging on my end but I was just initially curious if you had ever had any iOS compilation issues.

Cross compilation job Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll failed.
    UnityEngine.UnityException: Failed AOT cross compiler: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/BuildTargetTools/iPhonePlayer/mono-xcompiler --aot=full,asmonly,nodebug,static,outfile="Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll.s" "Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll" current dir : /Users/user/TestApp/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed
    result file exists: False
    stdout: Mono Ahead of Time compiler - compiling assembly /Users/user/TestApp/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dllThe following assembly referenced from /Users/user/TestApp/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll could not be loaded: Assembly: CloudSystem.Runtime (assemblyref_index=0) Version: 1.6.1.0 Public Key: (none)The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/Users/user/TestApp/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/).Could not load file or assembly 'CloudSystem.Runtime, Version=1.6.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.Failed to load method 0x6000001 from '/Users/user/TestApp/Temp/StagingArea/Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll'.
    stderr:

at UnityEditor.MonoProcessUtility.RunMonoProcess (System.Diagnostics.Process process, System.String name, System.String resultingFile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UnityEditor.MonoCrossCompile.CrossCompileAOT (BuildTarget target, System.String crossCompilerAbsolutePath, System.String assembliesAbsoluteDirectory, CrossCompileOptions crossCompileOptions, System.String input, System.String output, System.String additionalOptions) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UnityEditor.MonoCrossCompile+JobCompileAOT.ThreadPoolCallback (System.Object threadContext) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    UnityEditor.MonoCrossCompile:CrossCompileAOTDirectoryParallel(BuildTarget, CrossCompileOptions, String, String, String)
    PostProcessiPhonePlayer:postProcess(BuildTarget, String, String, String, String, String, String, String, BuildOptions, RuntimeClassRegistry)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

32. Dantus

Dantus

Thank you very much for the bug report! I was able to reproduce the issue and it will be resolved in the next release.
    For now you can rename CloudSystemFree.Runtime.dll into CloudSystem.Runtime.dll. The compilation will be successful after that.

Let me know if you still encounter issues!

33. dbora

dbora

Thanks! That worked perfectly. We'll buy the real version once we've made some serious progress.

34. LaneFox

LaneFox

Do the clouds work with Sun Shafts and other post effects?

35. Dantus

Dantus

I haven't tried it on my own, but was told by several people that it works. If you still want to try it, just download Cloud System Free and give it a try. As the clouds are either a particle system or a mesh, there should be no reason that prevents Sun Shafts from working.

36. Dantus

Dantus

Cloud System (Free) 1.7 is now under review. I expect it is going to be available after Unite12. Here are the release notes.

37. Dantus

Dantus

The Asset Store Team was once again extremely fast! Cloud System (Free) 1.7 is now available in the asset store.

38. Baastax

Baastax

You probably don't support unity 4 yet, however the previous version of Cloud System Free does work with it. New 1.7 throws this at import:

Edit: This was due to CloudSystem.Editor.dll from old version and CloudSystemFree.Editor.dll from the new version existing in the Editor/Cloud System/ dir after update to v1.7.

Deleting old CloudSystem.Editor.dll fixes the issue.

Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:
    Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CloudSystem.Runtime, Version=1.6.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

File name: 'CloudSystem.Runtime, Version=1.6.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:InternalGetType (System.Reflection.Module,string,bool,bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.GetTypeInAssembly (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly, System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootNamespace.LookupTypeReflection (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.String name, Location loc, Boolean must_be_unique) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.GlobalRootNamespace.LookupTypeReflection (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.String name, Location loc, Boolean must_be_unique) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Namespace.LookupType (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.String name, Location loc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Namespace.Lookup (Mono.CSharp.CompilerContext ctx, System.String name, Location loc) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.NamespaceEntry.Lookup (System.String name, Location loc, Boolean ignore_cs0104) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.NamespaceEntry.LookupNamespaceOrType (System.String name, Location loc, Boolean ignore_cs0104) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.DeclSpace.LookupNamespaceOrType (System.String name, Location loc, Boolean ignore_cs0104) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer+BaseContext.LookupNamespaceOrType (System.String name, Location loc, Boolean ignore_cs0104) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.SimpleName.ResolveAsTypeStep (IMemberContext ec, Boolean silent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Expression.ResolveAsBaseTerminal (IMemberContext ec, Boolean silent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.ResolveBaseTypes (Mono.CSharp.TypeExpr base_class) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Class.ResolveBaseTypes (Mono.CSharp.TypeExpr base_class) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.DefineBaseTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.TypeContainer.DefineType () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.RootContext.ResolveTree () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Compile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.CSharp.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  39. Dantus

Dantus

@Baastax: Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: Added this information to both Cloud System (Free) threads and wrote a post for the web page.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  40. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Hi,

Is it possible for the clouds to follow the shape of a mesh? (For example, if I wanted the clouds to be in a shape of a star)
    Currently I can only place the clouds in a box, which may not look very natural.

Thanks in advance! :)

41. Dantus

Dantus

That is unfortunately not possible. I am aware that it is necessary to have lots of boxes to get a desired shape. After quite some experiments with different shapes and particle generating algorithms, I ended up simplifying it to just boxes, as the results were very predictable. It is pretty unusual to create shapes such as stars. I am very open for ideas about how this may work!

42. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. If I wanted to experiment/play around with the code on my own (in particular the parts where the shapes are saved, and the part where the particle positions are determined based on the shape) to see if it were possible, would it be alright if I did that? If yes, can I ask which section of the code should I look at specifically? I bought the full version so there's a copy of the source there as well. :)

Thanks!

43. Dantus

Dantus

You can access the shapes via:
    Code (csharp):
    1. cloud.CreatorData.boxShapes
    It is assumed that cloud is a variable of type CS_Cloud.
    The particles' positioning code is in class CloudCreator.

Hope this helps.

44. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Thanks! I've decided not to change any code on the Cloud system. Instead I'm adding a separate script that will cycle through the vertices on the mesh, and reposition the cloud particles around those vertices (plus minus a little random value) during Start(). It seems to be working fine at the basic level, but this solution still needs a lot more work. :)

Playing around with UseParticleColor now. :)

45. Dantus

Dantus

Great :)

I think it is a good decision for not to touch the source code. You may loose all your changes with future updates due to other incompatible code updates!

46. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Hi,

Sorry to keep asking questions...

I'm trying to change the individual particle transparency (the further away from the mesh, the less alpha they should have)
    However, my changes are not taking effect. These are the steps I've taken:

1. Create a cloud as normal
    2. Add the CS_Custom Vertical Color With Shading Group Renderer script
    3. Enable "Use Particle Colors"

then in the code I do this:

Code (csharp):
    2.     var maxParticle : int = m_Cloud.ParticleCount;
    4.     for (var i : int = 0; i < maxParticle; i = i + 1)
    5.     {
    6.         var tmpCp : CloudParticle = m_Cloud.ParticleAt(i);
    8.         tmpCp.particleColor = new Color(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5);  // <------- Just testing
    9.         Debug.Log (tmpCp.particleColor);
    11.         m_Cloud.SetParticleAt(i, tmpCp);
    13.     }
    The current renderer is "custom"
    The rendering method is "verticle color with shading group"
    Shading influence: Verticle shading: 0 Shading group: 1. (But I've tried the opposite, still not difference)

But for some reason the color remains the same (no changes at all).

I'm not sure what I have missed... would you be able to help?

Thank in advance!

47. Dantus

Dantus

Are you getting any error messages?

48. Dantus

Dantus

It works for me, but there is a bug in the current version. If you call "cloud.UseParticleColors" at runtime, you are going to get an error, that's why it fails.

49. DragonDrumstick

DragonDrumstick

Oh... how do you set cloud.UseParticleColors to true before runtime?

Currently, I am attaching the "CS_Custom Vertical Color With Shading Group Renderer" script to the cloud and then checking the "Use Particle Colours" checkbox.... (not sure if this is the correct way to do it). This silences the error message, but then the particleColor changes do not seem to take effect...

50. Dantus

Dantus

That's exactly the bug. You can't, and that's why color changes have no effect. I'll try to create a workaround for that as I don't expect that a lot of people need that functionality at the moment. Hope that's okay as a temporary solution.

You should try to do it as in the effects demo. The cloud with the renderer should already be there and then access everything by script. Are you adding the renderer at runtime? That probably doesn't work.