Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Client - Server - Client Issue, Creature hitted by a player

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by adi7b9, Feb 22, 2015.

1. adi7b9

adi7b9

Hi,

I'm working on a client - server game. MMO type of game.

On the server i have the creatures spawn manager, creature movement and creature animations (for the moment). On the client side it's all ok, i see all the creature moving, animating and acting like the server wants to. Note: i use network view serialization for those actions (moving and animating). OnSerializeNetworkView event.

I have a problem with identifying by the server, the creature that is being hit by the player.

The player who hit the mob it's known by the server (that player will send a RPC, i think, to the server telling that he hit a creature). Then the server will do some calculation like: damage of the player, HP creature after hit, etc.. and send them back to all the server players (or to all the players around the creature).

My question: how does the server know what creature has been hitted?

Thanks in advance,
    Adi.

2. adi7b9

adi7b9

Problem solved!

The "creature script" need to send to the server, the info, that the player who runs the game hit it.
    So i placed the [RPC] in the creature script and shared that info with the server.

3. lycanrising

lycanrising

Glad it's working. I think that an equally viable way is, on colliding with the creature you can get the information from the creature's collider. If your creature has a static variable to indicate what it is, you could send that information with the player's information to the server.