Search Unity

Clicked unity 3.4 on my desktop by mistake is my project ruined?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nomax5, Apr 22, 2012.

1. nomax5

nomax5

I clicked the unity 3.4 icon on my desktop
    I got a warning pop up and tried to prevent unity starting - but was already loading stuff
    I closed it down

started 3.5 and all my models are pink and I've got strange errors
    Loading GUID <-> Path mappings ... !didInsert

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/b0bcff80449a48aa/Editor/Src/GUIDPersistentManager.cpp Line: 948)
    !didInsert
    Timestamps (1279) and assets (1283) maps out of sync.

Is my project screwed?

I had no option Unity just kept loading

what should I do?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Restore your project from backup.

--Eric

blizzy likes this.
  3. nomax5

nomax5

If I had a recent backup then I wouldn't be posting on the forum Eric.

I'm guessing from your curt answer that Yes indeed Unity3.4 screwed my project
    It DID NOT give me the option Not to load thats bad programming plain and simple

Why is there no Save Project As? option?
    Why doesn unity load the last project by default?
    Why doesn't it just load up unity then let you choose which project by default.
    This is basic stuff for any application

When I load up microsoft word it doesn't assume I want to also load the last letter I typed?
    and if I start an old version of word it doesnt screw my last letter up.

Who wrote this stuff? and why did they decide to change conventions which have been around for decades?

I've been developing applications since before screens were introduced and what happened today is utter madness.
    okay I should have backups I know that is my fault I hold my hands up guilty
    And re doing my entire project will de me no harm

But come on this really is basic stuff
    Load Unity
    then choose project.

This should have been fixed long ago.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

In the preferences choose "Always Show Project Wizard". This allows you to choose which project to open on start-up. This used to be the default action at start-up (if it isn't still). Also, a warning should've come up when opening with an older version of Unity... to get past this warning you must have accidentally clicked the button to proceed.

It's unfortunate that this happened, but it can be easily avoided in the future.

5. nomax5

nomax5

Thanks aNTeNNa trEE I'll make sure I'll change the preferences

I didn't accidently click the button to proceed, as soon as it popped up the warning I know what I'd done and wanted out.
    but the egg timer was off and running loading up.

It was windows that had decided to rearrage the icons on my desktop

When ever I'm working on something I like to Save As.. a version especially if I'm about to potentially screw something up but I can't do that with unity.

If I open whatever.php to make large scale changes
    I save it as Xwhatever.php
    then resave it as whatever.php again and I have a back up

Reading the forums here it seems that there are a few ways to screw your project and Save As.. might be a good idea.

6. nomax5

nomax5

Actually it is really bad.. I don't have a backup and will have to create the entire project from scratch. :(

7. profanicus

profanicus

You could try deleting your Library folder. Make sure Unity is closed, delete the folder, then restart 3.5 and it will try to reimport all your assets.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. ericksson

ericksson

Unity Technologies

Yes, this usually works. If it doesn't you can try deleting everything in your project other than the Assets folder. Of course, that means you will have to go through any custom settings you had and set everything back to where it was, but at least your scenes will be usable again.

9. RShackleton

RShackleton

I sympathise with your situation but proper backing up is something you will need to ensure you practice in future.

There may not be a 'Save As' feature but there is nothing stopping you from backing up your project folder as an archive file or similar - for example I back up my project after working on it for any substantial amount of time with the convention YYYY-MM-DD-ProjectName.zip. Also remember to store your backups in more than one location in case of a HDD failure.

You cannot blame this on Unity or Windows - at least take some responsibility. Hopefully you will be able to recover your work from this. Good luck.

10. AaronC

AaronC

Actually this has been discussed multiple times elsewhere. The ability to open a 3.5 project in 3.4, thus ruining ones project is a serious design flaw, as one user noted, partially due to them both using the same registry key for the Project Wizard, and also because opening a 3.5 project in 3.4 does not give any warning box.

personally I too have backups, but the whole procedure of retrieving them and in same cases re-doing the work since the last archive is no convenience. I've had two major projects ruined as a result of this design flaw. thank goodness for backups tho.

AC

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yes, sadly it's a known bug, as AaronC said. One of those big terrible bugs that obviously anger people whose projects get messed up.

@RShackleton, seriously, any software should have (and 99.9% of the times HAS - because it's a basic design feature) a simple "can't open this project because it was saved by a later version" warning, especially if it means your project will get destroyed. Otherwise, it is a flaw, a big one, and as such Unity is responsible for it. Backing up stuff is obviously good advice, but here we're talking of a big hole in the software, thus saying that Nomax5 should take some responsibility for it, and Unity none, is both absurd and rude.

12. _Petroz

_Petroz

I agree with Itizmee 100 percent! This is a terrible bug and Unity should learn from this mistake for future releases.

13. Rya

Rya

Opening a unity 3.5 project in 3.4 gives you a downgrade error and prompts you not to do it.

Am I the only one confused why people are not having this same feature?

14. Demigiant

Demigiant

That's actually the main big bug. Sometimes the prompt appears, sometimes it doesn't. It's like a Russian roulette :p

15. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

lol, I guess that's one way of putting it.

16. Zethariel1

Zethariel1

Forgive me, I'm new to Unity, but why would you want to keep an older version of Unity anyway? With a shortcut on the desktop as well?

17. Demigiant

Demigiant

Because some projects made with Unity 3.4 won't work well with Unity 3.5.

18. maraoz

maraoz

Just a tip: even when working alone, use Source Control Management. For more info, google search: Git, or SVN.

19. Black_Demon

Black_Demon

Hi. I recently started using Unity and get the same error after a Blue Screen. It happened while using Unity 4.5.2. I don´t understand why there are such a little information about this on the Web.

What I did first was deleting the "Library" folder, but only some objects in the scene appeared. Then I tried something new (with other copy of the original damaged project), I deleted just the folder "Metadata". Almost all objects appeared in the scene but some properties like the position of the objects on the plane were wrong. In both cases the animations dissapeared, the terrain asset get damaged and also had a lot of errors, even the same "Timestamps and assets maps out of sync". Finally, the project get ruined and I decided to redo the entire project. It is incredible that there are these kind of errors in Unity where you can lost all your work in any moment.

The only trust solution I found is to make backups. Personally I use Cobian Backup, and made a script to run it when I open Unity and auto backup every 7 minutes. But now I'm seriously thinking in changing to another engine. Just hope Unity developers fix this disastrous error soon...

saurabh.saket likes this.
  20. saurabh.saket

saurabh.saket

Yeah! Deleting the library folder also worked for me.