Search Unity

Civil, A 3D Voxel World

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Myhijim, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Myhijim

Myhijim

Civil

Firstly let me introduce myself....

I am James , I am 16 blah blah blah.

I'm sure a few of you were wondering what I have been doing stalking these forums, never showing any work, well here it is. One month in the making!

Can you believe i started here? : http://coredev.makingforum.com/f18-voxel-engine-development-blog

What is 'Civil'?

See that is the thing... I do not know what direction this game will head, I'm hoping for it to evolve into a Voxel RTS game, but for now it is just a challenge for me to complete.

I started this project with no idea what voxel engine was and I still have alot to learn.

I punched on with pixel bleeding to release this :p

Key features

Well so far I have achieved a few things, around 30 hours of work and around 50 of studing Marching cubes and stuff :

- Randomly Generated Voxel World (Basic)
    - Digging/Placing of blocks in inventory
    - Indepth inventory system including crafting recipies with multiple combinations
    - Different Resources placed in the world

Who is working on it?

Myself(Coder/Crappy Texturer)

So far what I am showing to you now has been completely me.

Where to go from here?

- Trees
    - Biomes
    - Water
    - More resources
    - HEAPS more optimisation
    - Larger world sizes
    - Indepth Combat
    - And more etc

/basically everything found here :http://coredev.makingforum.com/t52-versions-features-to-be-added

Without further adue!

Please be mindful it is laggy as I have only really optimised it approx. 1/3 of the way.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88282046/WebPlayer.html

Controls
    W, A, S, D - Move

Space - Jump

Left/Right Click - Dig/Place Block

0-9 No Keys/Mouse Scroll - Change Inventory Slot

i - Open Inventory

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

What are you going to do different then minecraft? Also how did you write/create the level is it generated or made by hand? How does the voxel system work?

3. Myhijim

Myhijim

Well I'll been discussing what could be different with my team, and we are sort of looking for the whole "customize everything" type.

All code in this project is my own, I did not use anyone else's. (I picked up bits off certain wikis but rewrote them myself).

As for the voxel system, I am using Mathf.PerlinNoise in order to generate a heightmap for the entire world, then each chunk takes its own co-ords from that map and determines its own height. However I am hoping to move to a more 'interesting' noise function.

4. Myhijim

Myhijim

Currently working on trees, water and different types of terrain.

Here are some screens of what I've done so far (Mind my crappy Texturing):

Next up is general chunk blending and different height values of biomes, I may also be doing a re-write soon...

I also need to complete water transparency and liquid collisions + I am getting a few memory leaks that I must attend to.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. roger0

roger0

Looks neat so far. However the terrain doesn't look that interesting yet. There's to many repetitive small hills and lakes. it would look better if there was less hills, but larger ones. And less ponds but larger lakes.

Also I'm wondering how players will be able to destroy blocks. The terrain appears to be one gameObject, so you cant necessarily call Destroy(gameObject) on a single block.

6. Myhijim

Myhijim

Hey thanks for the advice.

That is infact what I am doing right now, more interesting terrain. See in the birds eye screen how there is sortof an oceanic sector. Im currently working on implementing Lowlands, mountains and plains. I have not uploaded this webplayer yet.

Im looking more to tackle the very repetitive green with many different types of biomes like barren wasteland, desert, swamps and such.

As for the destroying of blocks that is all done and I do not call Destroy at all as all digging does is Update how the "chunk" is rendered.

7. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Hey, nice start! I think you should lock the cursor on the screen center, also, are you going to use the point textures or it will be bi/trilinear filter?

8. Myhijim

Myhijim

Not completely sure, I'm leaning towards point textures though.

I will center the cursor when I get home from work and upload a new webplayer

9. johny

johny

Along with locking the cursor maybe make the ray distance on destroying objects smaller.

10. roger0

roger0

I would like to learn how destroying the blocks works. Could you forward me to the place you learned how to do it? Thanks.

11. Myhijim

Myhijim

Your in luck :)

I'm writing a blog on howto

(I started as a completel n00b!)

http://coredev.makingforum.com/f18-voxel-engine-development-blog

Been working on a new biome type!

Deadlands

How did this happen? A bushfire that charred the land? A mysterious magic? Or something else?

P.S The pixel bleeding is back -_-

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. 8 Bit Warlock

8 Bit Warlock

What you have is looking pretty cool. Just make sure you give some thought into game design not just feature design.

13. Myhijim

Myhijim

Yeah, Im currently just fixing bugs and optimising code.

New biome is to be made today, desert :)

Hopefully after that I can start to make multi-biomic worlds with blended edges and height differences

14. Myhijim

Myhijim

New Update

Not that much right now, had a fun little twiddle with the biomes made a few more, this took so long because I was trying to make 'arms' on the cacti and it just was a jumbled mess, so it was a waste of a few hours. Also fixed some bugs in the texturing:

Desert

Tropics

Picture is coming, my imagehost is mucking up

This is all I have to show but ideas are brewing in my head. What do you think of a RPG/RTS, where you are either a "Overlord", who controls an RTS style civilisation etc or a "Inhabitant" where you are part of the world in a First Person Perspective RPG playing in other peoples "Civilisations"?

Thats the idea so far.

Next up....

1. More optimised world with optimized collision meshes(Thanks to alexzzzzzz) meaning larger worlds.
    2. Better textures! (From a real texture artist)
    3. Water Physics
    4. Water Transparancy

15. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Lookig awesome man!

Im reading through your blog posts now to see if any of my questions are answered :)
    Keep it up!

16. OrbitusII

OrbitusII

Looking great so far, I'm big on Minecraft so this is pretty cool! I've read through the thread and I'd like to see this succeed as an RTS, so I'll be sure to play the demos whenever I get the chance. Making a Minecraft-style RTS should be interesting, the only ones I really see are 2.5D (no caves inside mountains, nothing really 3D besides models) and you only have to use a few resources, so having something like this is going to be epic! Making your buildings out of any material you can find, searching for a while to get the one block you need for more weapons... :D :D :D :D :D

3D RTS need to be more common!

17. Myhijim

Myhijim

Haha thanks, a in depth demo should be soon, Late December/January hopefully. I think you will like the customization I am going to put in place ;)

Design your race pixel by pixel, and if your bothered, design your own weapons pixel by pixel, basically every block you add has some advantage, but it may also yield a disadvantage.

EDIT:

Mesh Optimisation is 1/2 done. When it is done the whole engine will run atleast 10x faster

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  18. Myhijim

Myhijim

Well Optimisation is not even close to being done and already we are seeing a reduce in lag spikes.

Here is what the collision mesh looks like BEFORE optimisation -------> (2836 Verts, 1418 Triangles)

Here is what the collision mesh looks like AFTER optimisation -------> (244 Verts, 122 Triangles)

This is clearly not finished, half the faces have not been drawn, but over 3/4 of the optimisation has not been completed either.

PS

Omg is that a ROCK!

Why yes it is!
    I have been working on different sized meshes, not sure where this will lead...... Tree branches?

BIG PPS NOTE

I have another coder on the project now Alismuffin, yes him a few posts above.

He is working on voxel character optimisation! YAY!

PPPS

Next Up
    - Water physics and transparancy FINALLY
    - Different block break times
    - Polishing off the Physics mesh creation

19. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

That looks effing awesome to be honest. Maybe I should do voxels. Then I don't have to sit up to five in the morning tweaking world machine with 10 minute renders each time. :)

20. Myhijim

Myhijim

Haha thanks.

Instead you will have to tweak the texture values by 0.000001 at 5am in the morning to fix pixel bleeding.

PS

Should I make the design document readable by all or should I wait a while? Because I'm pariniod somone will use the idea haha

21. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

Hahaha, I have school in an hour and a half, and we have mocks tomorrow. xD I'm going to be such a wreck by lunchtime.

My design document is about 120 pages long, and it's mostly rambling - so I don't think I'll publish mine. :)

22. Myhijim

Myhijim

Maybe when the game is on more stable ground (More features that have been added over a larger time)

EDIT

Been Playing with my block level system.... Got some nice looking water and pretty much designed the amount of water contained to determine the height of the water block.....

BUT

My optimisation system.... Needs a complete re-write....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  23. Myhijim

Myhijim

Had a bit of a sketchup of the HUD Im am not artist and this is very basic! Took me an hour though cause I'm slow :p

What do you all think?

This one may have more equipment slots.

Crafting Selection -----> Leads to a voxel editor!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  24. Myhijim

Myhijim

Stop! Hammertime!

Hey guys we recently created a soundcloud in order for you to give us feedback on our music and say which part is your favourite, what needs improvement etc.

Here:

http://soundcloud.com/coredevgames

So again please comment and tell us what you like and what you don't.

Thanks Myhijim :D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  25. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

You're a better artist than me. I cringe now when I look at what I put up in my thread.

But done's done.

26. Myhijim

Myhijim

And that is the reason I am solely a coder. :p

Any oppinion on the soundcloud music?

27. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

I was just listening to it. :)

I like the main theme, but I think there's a too long silence in the intro to it.

Dungeon theme is good too. Spooky and melodic.

The last unnamed one sounds like character creation / fitting music. So, it's good.

The music fits the game type well.

28. Myhijim

Myhijim

We are gonna dive straight in!

Anyway water is starting to look "Specular" (See what I did there? ;) )

Rock On!

This adjustment allows for further transparent objects with ease!

Next is water physics. Then new webplayer.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  29. landon912

landon912

Nice job, didn't you say basic water physics were done on Skype? :p

30. Myhijim

Myhijim

New Webplayer

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88282046/WebPlayer.html

This webplayer has pretty much finished water physics!

I am aware of the following bugs :

- Some water blocks won't transfer : This is due to me not yet adding cross chunk combination. It will be fixed soon.
    - Some leave blocks sides don't show : Yet again ^^
    - The Drops have weird texturing wtf? : Yeah... Thats because I havent re-aligned the textures
    - Can't place blocks? : Inventory is currently undergoing MAJOR repairations, extreme customisation features are being added

If you find any bugs please let me know

Also our new inventory/customisation well underway

Here : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50653934/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Mouse Scroll : Zoom in out
    Left Click : Remove
    Right Click : Place
    WASD : Rotate
    Q,E : Increase rotate speed

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  31. Illfuture

Illfuture

Very good job man, its very impressive that you've done this at such a young age.

I'm 16 and well... i don't have nearly as much to show :(

Keep up the good work!

32. Myhijim

Myhijim

Firstly I am going to make cross chunk rendering which will make the seem a lot less buggy, and allows water to flow across chunks. This will optimize the game quite a bit.

Then full completed mesh optimisation is on the way (Causin less jerkiness on chunk changes/creation) which will lead to huge RPG worlds. My aim is to make a world that is 3000*3000*200 chunks.

That is exactly: 460,800,000,000 blocks

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  33. dtg108

dtg108

Hey man, I have seen you watching the forums and posting things, but I never knew you were working on this! Looks great! I've definitely seen things that are different than minecraft in this project, but will there be anything HUGELY different? (Not hating, just wondering.)

34. Myhijim

Myhijim

Quite alot.

RTS Elements, completely customisable race and weapons, quests, heavily based AI code, RTS players and RPG players playing alongside each other, skills (29) , stats, perks, different sized voxels, different water physics (More like terraria)

Just to name a few :p

35. dtg108

dtg108

Wow, that's great! Can't wait to see the final product!

36. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Sup guys

Been working on the asset voxel creator

It now has 1 dimensional mirroring, saving and loading, and two different tools you can use to build,

WebPlayer link here

37. landon912

landon912

Awsome Alistar :)

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Cool but the trees look to stick like, they need more tree like aspects... and a little randomness so they are not all the same.

39. Myhijim

Myhijim

That is for the future my friend ;)

Later after a load of other stuff, the trees will have smaller branches made of smaller voxels ;)

Water has been greatly optimised, now for adjacent chunk sharing of water.

40. Myhijim

Myhijim

Terrain is starting to look really nice.

Hey all. Been playing with the terrain generator, looking suave ;)

Edit : Chunks can now be stacked on the Y-Axis, allowing highlands, lowlands and such.... Bit buggy and I need to redo grass and vein creation

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  41. Myhijim

Myhijim

Update

Nothing to give this time (No webplayer) but biome sectors are well underway!

Blending of biomes and creation of biomes dependent on the height are on the way too.

However right now I need to optimize as much as possible, as currently after digging a certain number of blocks the game will lag out for a brief moment.

42. jister

jister

nice job so far... but why always the minecraft look?
    don't you know this was made before minecraft by one guy? it looks way better and imo is a lot more interesting. Have a look at the walk through here also check the tools he especially made to make the game.

anyway maybe it inspires you to change the minecrafty look...
    good luck

43. Mold

Mold

Awesome!

44. Myhijim

Myhijim

Hey thanks for the offer We are in need of another coder, however we are having a bit of a break from this project cause its giving us the s$@s.

Hey, yeah that look is actually temporary just so we get the basics down optimising and such. We well be looking into smoothing.surfaces or vertex distortion at some point.

And thanks Mold :)

45. Jado406

Jado406

Nice! but you can go through trees and easily glitch out of the map going through them.

46. Myhijim

Myhijim

Yeah that's a known bug thanks :)

It's due to an incomplete collision mesh optimization script, you can also see that If you try to dig a block from it's side it won't disappear.

The top face has only been "optimized", I put "" in because the current script is still not optimized enough, I need to work hard on optimization before I add any more features, It may even take a complete re-write of the game.

Thanks for the feedback though :)

47. Mohamad Farid

Mohamad Farid

Wow im proud looking at your game! It looks like minecraft but keep up the good work pal.

48. _Max_

_Max_

Is it possible to make iOS version or mobile versions?