Search Unity

City Builder Starter Kit - Create games like DragonVale, Simpsons Tapped Out, etc

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Nov 10, 2013.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

How did you go @Der_Kevin? If you get stuck you can always send a support request.

- John A

2. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Everything fine. Just had to add two more lines and now it works perfect :)
    Btw. Did you already replied to the 3D scene mail? My inbox seams a lil bit out of control and eats sometimes mails mystically :D

3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Reply sent, it wasn't the mystical 'mail eater', it was the not so mystical 'me forgetting'.

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy folks, just mentioning that I will be on leave from work from next week and will be dedicated a large chunk of time to assets (which should mean CBSK gets some love).

Cheers,

John A

6. RobertOne

RobertOne

Yeah! :) would be nice to See some interactive battle love (like boombeach vor COC)
    I dont realy care about the 3d view Since these Kind oft games are more mobile related and sprites works better there performance wise.

Anyway, cant wait to see some updates :)

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Priority is likely to be moving to Unity 2D/Sprites. I know its not that exciting for existing users but I think its the only way to ensure the product has a future going forward.

I've also been toying with a server side solution which can run on the cloud or on your own servers (not just for CBSK, but it would be fully integrated with CBSK). It would be a separate purchase and its still got a lot of work to go, but that one might be exciting for existing users.

@RobertOne I see you were looking for someone on commercial forums to help you with wall building... is that for this kit? How does it differ from path building?

8. HiCallMeAce

HiCallMeAce

Hey johnnyA im interested in the server side solution was wondering if you could give more information about it.

9. Simmo76

Simmo76

A bit off-topic but does anyone know of any good sites that sell proffessional 2d isometric art and characters that we can slot into this great asset?

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

If so tell me too!

Replied via support ticket. For everyone else's benefit I haven't yet had time to progress this as yet. At this point please consider it an idea not something that will be available soon.

11. blackorchidgames

blackorchidgames

Would it not be possible to simply take 3D models of buildings, and take 2D pictures of those buildings in the correct isometric view? You could then edit them into sprites, without the need for drawn sprites.

Just an idea...

12. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Absolutely possible, and how my building graphics kit was made. But you still need the 3d models!

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy folks, been a while since there was much activity here. Platformer PRO which has been taking all my development time is almost ready (should be going out for beta very soon). This means I can finally start to uplift CBSK! Woot!

First steps will be transition to sprites/Unity GUI, its just not viable to require NGUI any more (nor necessary). After that who knows... you ... tell me what you want so I can start planning!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  14. gecko

gecko

Will NGUI still be an option?

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

It could be, I'm relying on user input.

EDIT: No matter what UI code will be abstracted away from the game control so you can theoretically use anything, the question is more "will there be a fully worked NGUI example". And the answer is maybe (or probably).

16. gecko

gecko

Aside from NGUI, my main vote would be for a fully-realized 3D mode. If I get another vote, it would be for something like what you mentioned on page 1: "Running a sim style game on top of the buildings and having occupants affect the simulation"

17. brian_p

brian_p

It would be great to have it use the unity 4.6 UI system. I would even be willing to help convert it. I’m not sure what help I would be though. I’m still new to unity development. I have been looking at your framework and would like to use it however I don’t want to use the NGUI. I’m sure NGUI is great but I would like to use the new UI system in my game. Thanks!

18. gecko

gecko

Is this set up for localization? I'm guessing not, but we haven't ever delved into localization before so I'm not sure if I know what to look for...

19. RobertOne

RobertOne

Can i vote for a feature?
    please provide an "Add new buildings inside the editor" update. i really hate to edit the xml all the time :/
    something like this:

20. Partizan-Games

Partizan-Games

Hi.
    Why I see 70 errors after import this package?
    What I must do?

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You haven't imported NGUI.

22. Partizan-Games

Partizan-Games

Can I import whatever NGUI?

23. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Any 3.x version of NGUI should be okay. Also please ask for help via the support email/support button on the website. I don't necessarily check here so your question could go unseen for days.

24. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great package. Would it be possible to be informed when you have a special promotion for the Pro or the Complete version.

Cheers.

25. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy all, sorry it has been such a long time between posts. I've been very absorbed with Platformer PRO. That is finally winding up and its time to do the same with CBSK. My plan is to create City Builder PRO with the same philosophy as Platformer PRO.

CB PRO will be a complete rewrite from the ground up taking everything I have learned about the genre and what the customers want. At this stage I also need your input, what do you want to see?

Here's my Thoughts
    • No NGU requirement (duh), the kit should work with Unity GUI (although it should still be flexible enough to replaced this if desired).
    • Battles are a must. This will be the biggest addition, but most games like this need battles with individual troops fighting.
    • 3D is a must. There must be fully worked samples in both Isometric 2D and 3D.
    • It must be architected with server side integration 100% in mind.
    • Defining buildings and units should all be done with custom Unity Editors. XML configuration will be there, but it will not be required.

Although I hope you are excited by this news do keep in mind a few things:
    • You will need to pay. Unity has some new "Upgrade" features which means City Builder PRO will be considered an upgrade to the starter kit: you will have to pay but you will get a significant discount on the PRO price.
    • Its probably going to take a long time to do this stuff. Platformer PRO has take more than a year. At this stage there is no guarantee it will ever be released (covering my butt here, please don't go buy CBSK with the express purpose of hoping to get a discount on CB PRO).
    When developing Platformer PRO there were a few updates to 2DPC based on features being migrated backwards. Accordingly there will probably be one or two updates to CBSK along the way (e.g. UI), but after that it will become EOL.

26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

PS CBSK will of course still be supported for existing customers via the usual support channels.

27. kittik

kittik

Is this asset still being supported? It looks like something I'd get use out of. Also is NGUI 2.7 compatible with it?

28. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Still supported but not getting minor updates.

A full rework is underway but this is a major update that could be 6-18 months away.

29. samwit

samwit

Hey I saw you deprecated the asset. Are you planning to bring out a new similar asset?

If so when? Will owners of this one have an upgrade path?

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The intention is to do a new asset which does a lot more than the original CBSK (similar to what I did with 2D Platform Controller -> Platform PRO), and yes there will be an upgrade path which will be approximately the cost of the new asset - the cost of CBSK.

31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Is the old one not working with newer Unity versions or something? Just curious why you deprecated before the new one was done. I've been considering it for a future project so I've been following the thread. When I saw @samwit's post, I went to the asset store to look at it again. Deprecating it removed it from the asset store so new folks are unable to purchase between now and when you finish/release of the new one.

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Well yes, thats exactly why I deprecated it :)

With the current capabilities of Unity UI and 2D the requirement for NGUI was not really grasped by many. Effectively it didn't sell much and when it did there was about a 50% chance the person who brought it didn't realise they also needed NGUI. It resulted in excessive support time and frustration on both sides.

Furthermore I found with Platformer PRO that making sales on the promise of a future rebuild is not a good strategy. A lot of people would get excited about some WIP video, buy the old version, but then when its still not released within some expected time period they would get frustrated, leave negative reviews, etc.

City Builder PRO (or whatever it ends up being called), could be released in 6 month, or 12 months, or never. There's no guarantees. Existing customers are always welcome to contact me via a suppot ticket to discuss features, updates, defects, etc.

Finally if you really want the old version you can contact me directly. I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.

- John A

33. us536th

us536th

How can I get a copy of the old version I really like to get it for starter for project.

34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

According to some recent negotiations a new version that does not require NGUI will be coming out pretty soon.

35. RichCodes

RichCodes

@us536th It will be worth the (hopefully short) wait. I've seen @JohnnyA's kit, it is very well put together. I wish I had found it earlier when it was for sale.

36. us536th

us536th

is there a estimated date for the release

37. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

1 week for updates, 1 week for testing, 1 week for Unity approve: 3 weeks best case BUT could be a little longer.

- John A

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  38. jasonlai2020

jasonlai2020

This update you mention will be included in the deprecated CBSK or City Builder Pro ?
    Thanks.

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@talentsoftech

CBSK will be "undeprecated" once the updates are ready. Basically once updates are done I will submit it again. And we will go from there. All current users will get this update free. If for some reason Unity will not allow me to submit as the same package I will add it as a free upgrade for existing users (assuming asset store allows me to do this which I'm 90% confident it does).

City Builder Pro is a future version which will have many more features and does not have a release schedule.

40. RobertOne

RobertOne

Hey!
    Nice to hear that its been upgraded to the new UI system.
    So, i spent some time already setting up my own game with the CBSK. not much, just some hours in between in the last years and also changed some stuff here and there.
    My question would be: how difficult do you think would be a upgrade from existing CBSK games? have you rewritten everything to make it work with the new UI?
    btw, iam talking about the 3d version if thats interesting to know

41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@RobertOne If you haven't changed the UI much it should be pretty straightforward, maybe some prefab changes, some new manager objects. Most of the game is data driven.

42. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

43. RichCodes

RichCodes

Looking forward to seeing how you all like the updated kit!
    (Full disclosure: I joined forces with JohnnyA on this asset to update it to Unity UI and Unity 5)

44. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Also looking forward to feature suggestions, adding features is a key part, but we need to know what you want!

45. jasonlai2020

jasonlai2020

Thanks for the awesome update. I hope to see a better 3D sample view Of CBSK i.e adding building progress bar indicator,mobile panning and zoom feature.

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

For sure, we haven't touched that sample (other than UI update), but with two people working on this hopefully we can get to this soon!

47. epyxplayz

epyxplayz

Hello! I am considering purchasing this asset because of my friend's recent obsession with the game Clash of Clans®. I-Ie keeps getting annoyed by a ton of tiny little features, and the fact that he has to wait 7 days for a TH upgrade if he does not use gems. However the main reason he plays the game is to attack. He trains new army combinations - whatever that has to do with attacking, he does.

Anyway, I don't think I would even tell him about making a game in this if there is no option to attack. I stayed up late last night watching a ton of your videos and found that you made a WIP-Battles thing, but in the WebGL demo I do not see the option to battle. I have a list of different battles I would like to be able to take place (names do not reflect actual in game names lol)

-Outpost: 5 Gold, 200 Resources, 20 Power 10 Minutes
    -Fort Terra: 10 Gold, 400 Resources, 30 Power20 Minutes
    -Fort Aqua: 20 Gold, 1600 Resources, 40 Power 1 Hour
    -Fort Magma: 40 Gold, 10,000 Resources, 50 Power 2 Hours
    -Outpost Oxygen: 80 Gold, 20,000 Resources, 70 Power 4 Hours
    -Outpost Nitrogen: 40 Gold, 20,000 Resources, 80 Power 8 Hours
    -Castle Bacteria: 100 Gold, 100,000 Resources, 100 Power 12 Hours
    -Fort Carbon: 40 Gold, 60,000 Resources, 110 Power 14 Hours
    -Outpost Fiber: 40 Gold, 70,000 Resources, 130 Power 18 Hours
    -Fort Gold: 40 Gold, 80,000 Resources, 150 Power 22 Hours
    -Fort Aluminum: 40 Gold, 100,000 Resources, 170 Power 1 Day
    -Camp Steel: 40 Gold, 120,000 Resources, 200 Power 1 and ½ Days
    -Castle Oil: 150 Gold, 200,000 Resources, 500 Power 2 Days

Anyway, can you add the attacking feature if it is not in the full pack? Also, would I be able to easily custom configure the battles and the amount of them? And finally, assuming both of those are a yes, would there be some way so you can only claim the reward for winning the battle the first time you win the battle? Thanks a lot for reading this if you do!

Oh, one more question. For a beta version of a game, would there be a way to incorporate a picture into the top right corner saying Beta Edition? I already have created one, but if a game I made with this becomes popular among my friends, and I want them to know that I am still developing the game, could I do that? Sorry for the lengthily post...

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@epyxplayz the battles are done and in the kit, they are a variation to the main sample, along with a tutorial teaching you how to extend the main sample to make the battles. There's also a completed scene so you can just open it and hit play.

There are several other variations too: Upgradable buildings, Multiple Resource Types (e.g. Mana), and animated units.

The WebGL demo only has the basic scene in it, although I could add some kind of loader to pick between the different variations.

Do note that the battles are only fire and forget type battles, you can't see individual units fighting (yet... we do plan to add this eventually).

- - - -

You can easily add a watermark in the corner of the screen using a standard Unity Sprite or Image UI component.

49. RichCodes

RichCodes

@talentsoftech I'm currently working on updating the 3D example with the same progress ring type indicators that the 2D scenes have, as well as updating the camera in that scene.

It will be in the next update. :)

50. JerryS

JerryS

Can this kit let the player choose between clan types? Can it allow different building and character (unit) types based on the user's choice of clan type?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016