Search Unity

City Builder Starter Kit - Create games like DragonVale, Simpsons Tapped Out, etc

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Nov 10, 2013.

1. dhondon

dhondon

Just wanted to mention that I'm the artist who was hired to do the art. So if you looking for this type of graphics, check out my portfolio:
    http://shadow-embryo.com/portfolio/

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

+1 Tom is great to work with!

3. jasonlai2020

jasonlai2020

Hi,
    I m just updated CBSK to latest version 1.4.0.3 ,and it working fine on ipad device.I m curious how do we implement game walkthrough(i.e to guide new user how to play the game for the first time). If it is not too much to ask,perhaps you can give us a simple game walkthrough example(scene) on your next or planned releases.
    Thank you very much.

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sure, I'm not sure about next release but for some future release that sounds like a good idea.

- John A

5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Paths:

I'll add multiple path types and maybe a few more options before release. On the store in around 10 days I expect.

- John A

6. JimRoot

JimRoot

In our game we used the roads to connect different buildings so that they just produce components when they are connected. So the player is forced to build roads. Not only for the looks :) just as quick "inspriration" for you but over all realy cool improvement to the asset :)

7. MajorTarget

MajorTarget

Will this work with the 3D View as well?

Ps. Had to do a couple of edits just to think how i'd praise the support from Johnny... Let's keep it simple and just buy the kit already :)

Even though there's some features lacking, the support is beyond the awe and worth for every penny.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The model will, but no 3D view as yet. A couple more minor updates then a much nicer 3D sample will be the priority.

- John A

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

How is everyone travelling ... haven't received many support requests of late, which is probably a good thing ...

10. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

perfect so far. maybe thats why nobody is reporting bugs :)
    i mean NGUI3,XP,Roads... there is nothing more to ask for... just a visible grid maybe but its already awesome what you did here

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Der_Kevin can you submit your feature request using the support tab on jnamobile.com (or the suport email). This will add it to the ticket system and mean I don't forget it!

12. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

ok :) btw, where do i find my Asset Store Order Number? I know normally in the Mail i received after buying the asset but somehow i cant find the mail anymore? ist the order number also somewhere in the asset store account?

//i think i found it. request submitted

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  13. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Love the progress of this asset. I'm curious if you'll be adding dragging for paths? Right now I noticed you had to click to place a path piece, and it sometimes didn't play in the correct spot. It would be nice if a straight line can be drawn for paths.

Just my suggestion! Keep up the great work!

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Not placing in the correct spot was a function of me needing to shrink my window in order for my video recording not to die :) If its at the resolution that NGUI is set up for it will place in the right spot (noting that this can be a variable resolution, its just not configured that way in the sample). Its the same code that is used to move buildings currently.

That said dragging is an option, I've added this to a building game previously without much fuss.

15. RobertOne

RobertOne

Are you planing to give the 3D view some love? ;) I mean some upgrades so that it is as complete as the 2D View?
    If so, could you tell us when? :)

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yes and no :p

I'll submit paths and a few minor updates this weekend. 3D is the most requested item other than that, so its next priority. There will probably be minor updates dripping out, but as to a feature complete and beautiful 3D sample I really don't know when.

17. RobertOne

RobertOne

Okay, thats cool :)
    The most "missing" thing for me somehow are these production circles/ gathering circle on top of the building. Everything else could be done by the customer pretty easy. Like pimping the scene with better( dont mean to be rude here, i like your building models!) buildings and a moveable camera... Thats easy to add by everyone themself. Even i managed to do that :D

18. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hah the building models are horrible :) I can add the progress bars pretty easily, will look to get that in ASAP.

19. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey! I just wanted to ask which script file is responsible for the building placement in the 3d view? I just wanted to add some falling down when placing effect and rotation so i just need to know which file i need to edit :)

20. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

BuildingView3D would probably be the palce to do that. Anything visual should be in a view class.

Rotation depends on if you need to move things on the grid or not. If its just visual do it in the view too. If you need to change how the building affects the grid (i.e. its not filling the same square shape), you will need to do a bit more (extend the BuildingType class and Building class so that the Shape property they provide accounts for the rotation, probably a BuildingManager or Grid update needed as well).

- John A

21. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey!
    I just want to rotate a 4x4 or 2x2 building so i think that would not cause too much problems right?

22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yeah if the building is square, it will fill the same space even if they are rotated, you wont have to touch grid or shape implementation (assuming 90 degree rotations) . It is only if you have different shaped buildings (oblong, L-shape, etc) that you would need to touch the grid stuff (as they take up different grid squares depending on rotation).

- John A

23. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Cool, thanks!
    Will the rotation be saved when i stop the game or do i have to take care of that somehow?

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You will need to add a new field to the BuildingData (either the quick way by editing it directly or the 'proper' way by extending the BuildingData and BuildingManager class ... for an example of that see BuildingUpgrades scene).

25. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just a note that I still haven't submitted the path update, if I don't find the time to do multiple path types in the next 3-4 days I'll just submit it as is (which is fully functional but only caters for one path type).

- John A

26. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

I just wanted to start with the rotation and set up a new project. but somehow the building list is empty since the last update in the 3d view (i think its the UIBuyBuildingPanel right?). does someone else having this issue?

// using ngui 3.5.3 btw
    // oh, wait... the content is behind the background. thats weird :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  27. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Der_Kevin are you using latest update, that should be fixed in the latest update.

Visible grid:

PS One thing I didn't mention in video, you can also of course set the colours the same so you get a consistent grid regardless of something being on a grid position or not.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  28. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey!
    I think i was using 1.3.3 but i solved this on my own so i was just a little bit confused in the first moment :)
    And thanks for implementing the grid system :) verry cool!

29. bobcccc

bobcccc

Really like this asset so far and it is great but a few things I think would make it even better. How can we add say a fence around the current buildable area to show the players where you are able to build in. How can we add another picture with the option to click and buy an expansion outside the current buildable area? Similar to what farmville used to have.

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

For the fence you would just need to calculate the boundaries based on the size of your grid and the portion marked as unusable. You can get the world position for a grid position using BuildingModeGrid.GetInstance().GridPositionToWorldPosition().

Probably the easiest way to expand the grid would be to create a building data with a new building type called something like AREA1, AREA2, etc. This building would have a blank image and would be an obstacle. Set up the data how you want it either in an XML file or in the Init() method. You could then adjust the UI so it doesn't show the "clear" button when a user clicks on these obstructions. Finally add a new UI where the user can buy extensions, when they do clear the matching area by deleting all grid squares which contain the matching area.

You could do something similar to that for an alternative fence implementation too.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  31. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

I used the occupants for doing this. Like these rocks and trees you had in the example scene. Put a fence image which fills the occupied area Then just set some level requiremets so that you need level 3 for one area and level 6 for the other for example and if you reached this level you can farm the occupant and the area is free to use. Was pretty easy to set up

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Obstacles you mean? Occupants are troops. Thats what I meant above, an obstacle is a building :)

33. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Right, english is a hard language. But you know what i mean :D

34. bobcccc

bobcccc

ok that sounds perfect any chance of an example or can I see your file at all, This is my first go at learning unity so would be great thanks. Love the asset so far.

35. Der_Kevin

Der_Kevin

Hey! i wanted to change the 3D Buildings from the 3D Example to Sprites (Sprite Render) cause i wanted to have a real 3D world to have 3D Villagers with 2D Sprite Buildings.
    Works out pretty good at the moment. the only thing which is not working is the red and green tinting when you can build or can not build something. i think this line is responsible for this:

Code (csharp):
    2. protected void SetColor(GridPosition pos) {
    3.        if (BuildingModeGrid.GetInstance().CanObjectBePlacedAtPosition(building, pos)) {
    4.          foreach(GameObject go in components) {
    5.           go.renderer.material.color = new Color(0.25f,1,0.25f,1);
    6.          }
    7.        } else {
    8.          foreach(GameObject go in components) {
    9.           go.renderer.material.color = new Color(1,0.25f,0.25f,1);
    10.          }
    11.        }
    12.     }
    i changed it to

Code (csharp):
    2. protected void SetColor(GridPosition pos) {
    3.        if (BuildingModeGrid.GetInstance().CanObjectBePlacedAtPosition(building, pos)) {
    4.          foreach(GameObject go in components) {
    5.           go.GetComponent< SpriteRenderer >().color = new Color(0.25f,1,0.25f,1);
    6.          }
    7.        } else {
    8.          foreach(GameObject go in components) {
    9.           go.GetComponent< SpriteRenderer >().color = new Color(1,0.25f,0.25f,1);
    10.          }
    11.        }
    12.     }
    but that didn't work out. now nothing will be tinted at all.
    could you tell me what i should change to make it work?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy folks, sorry about the slow replies (didn't even see your post Der_Kevin). I submitted the path and grid update, hopefully available within the week.

The tinting looks right on the surface, what shader are you using?

37. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Does the colour selector change when you select an item?
    Does the sprite change when you manually select colours in play mode?

38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Paths and grids update approved.

39. JimRoot

JimRoot

cool, nice path graphics :D
    whats coming up next? just curious about your plans ;) not stressing

40. Lioncirth

Lioncirth

Johnny.....

I am already using the platformer controller...now with this kit it seems like ill be working on 2 games now! lol

Will be purchasing soon :)

41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The path art is awesome :) Not sure whats next, I think fleshing out the 3D example is probably the most requested thing. The sim like behaviour for some simple attributes like "happiness" or something similar (i.e. villagers are happier when certain criteria are met and thus work harder and produce more income) is also something I'd like to do.

42. Emowor89

Emowor89

hello JohnnyA i have a problem
    i have created a new project and importet ngui than youre asset
    and now my problem:
    I have six errors in BuildingView Type UISprite does not contain a definition fillAmout and no....
    can you help me
    (i have unity 3d pro ver 4.3)
    Thanks

43. Emowor89

Emowor89

thank you
    :D

44. Emowor89

Emowor89

hi im again i couldnt find there anything that could help me trough my problem:(

45. Emowor89

Emowor89

where can i find the order number ? Anyways i have put there some numbers!

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sounds like you are using an out of date version of NGUI. Or possibly a very new version of NGUI. What version are you using?

47. Emowor89

Emowor89

I have 2.0.9

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

You need to download the latest NGUI (or at least version 3).

49. Emowor89

Emowor89

Thank you it works now Perfect

50. taw

taw

Hi ive just brought your great package but when i try and run anything all i get is a compiler error even when trying to run your sample game. the error is
    Internal compiler error. See the console log for more information. output was:
    Unhandled Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\User\Documents\New Unity Project 1\Temp\Assembly-CSharp.dll.mdb" is denied.

Please can you help