Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

City Builder Games

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by kittik, Sep 29, 2015.

1. kittik

kittik

Is anyone aware of any C# tutorials of creating the key functionality of a city builder game?

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you please give us some more detail? To be honest, I don't really understand what you mean…

What are the key functionalities to a city builder game?

3. kittik

kittik

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I wasn't precise.

I'm looking at a cities population: how they might spawn all with random names from lists. Civilian hunger, happiness, health and automatically assigning civilians to houses and an occupation.

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Just be aware that city builder games are far from trivial. The current winner of the Unite Golden Cube was a city builder (https://unity3d.com/awards/2015/winners) and this was what they built their company to do, and they did 3 successful games *before* that just to get ready. Their team talks about this in the Unite EU talks from Amsterdam this year.

If you have not yet done much game development, and / or coding, you should definitely do some more simple games before attempting a city builder. This way you can break down what you need to know into smaller more manageable chunks.

Specifically, spawning items with random names from a list, tracking values like hunger and happiness is relatively simple, but making sure they all work together is not.

Start with one subject at a time. Try knocking out some prototypes and ask specific questions one at a time until you build up enough understanding to make the entire thing.

kittik likes this.