Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cintiq Companion 2 + Unity5.4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sadicus, Jul 29, 2016.

1. sadicus

sadicus

Anyone using a Cintiq Companion 2 + Unity5.4?
    seeking reviews.

2. QFSW

QFSW

You want the Cintique for art production (if so, photoshop?) or the unity editor itself?

3. sadicus

sadicus

Curious if CC2 can run the unity editor. Mostly World building, Level design, look dev.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

5. sadicus

sadicus

Thanks!
    x86? also why not use Win 10?
    All the apps used on my current laptop run 64bit. I don' even install 32bit.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's the identifier for the architecture of the PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

Windows 10 wouldn't have been available during the period the device was in development and it isn't like Windows 10 brings anything to the device necessary for its operation. One of the main features of Windows 10 is DirectX 12 but only the higher end models actually support DirectX 12.

The processor is 64-bit capable and it is definitely running a 64-bit OS. Otherwise the tablet would not be able to support the 16GB memory capacity it advertises.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  7. sadicus

sadicus

thanks!

8. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

It should be able to run Unity. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, which has similar specs, and I'm able to run Unity (and Photoshop, Maya, etc.). I don't do a lot of work on the tablet (since I have a beefy desktop for work). but I did install Unity just to see and it was working.

However, obviously the GPU won't be that great on a tablet, so games or Unity builds will run a good amount slower. So I would not use it as a main development machine. It could be useful to produce art and do quick in-engine tests, where performance is not a big issue.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Or if you're developing a mobile game. Having tablet features on your development device might be useful.

angrypenguin and cyberpunk like this.
  10. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

Yeah, if you making mobile or retro 2D games or whatever, then it would be fine.

11. sadicus

sadicus

Good info, sounds just right for what I'd use it for. I like Surface Pro 3-4 yet the screen is way to small.
    Would like to use Win 10 so it would be 1:1 with my workstation and all it's optimizations. (Directory Opus11, etc.)
    wishful thinking: nvidia in this would be perfect!

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

13. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

The Surface Pro 4 screen is 12.3". The Cintiq Companion 2 is 13.3". Not a huge difference, and the Surface has a higher resolution screen. Are you going to be doing a lot of drawing on the screen or art production that uses the pen? If not, there are some cheaper options.

The Surface Pro 4 starts at around $800 and comes with a pen that can do 1024 pressure levels. If you want to go really cheap, check out the Acer Switch Alpha 12. It's similar to the Surface, but much cheaper as it starts at around $650. It has a lower res screen (1440P same as Cintiq and honestly fine) and the pen only does 256 levels of pressure, but it's a fraction of the cost. Also both The Acer and Surface come with Windows 10.

One thing I should add: If your game is heavily 3D or particularly high-end, your money would be better spent on a gaming laptop. I love the portability of the Surface, but the 3D performance does leave something to be desired. Though the new Intel GPUs are actually getting better, they are still nothing close to Nvidia/AMD. Something to consider.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Ryiah likes this.
  14. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I just bought a Surface Pro 4 i5 128gb. I haven't tried to use it for Unity yet but the quality of the screen has really amazed me. The 12.3" screen is much more clear and readable than my 14" Dell work laptop. I'd love to be able to use Substance Painter with it but I suspect that it isn't powerful enough.

The Cintiq allows you to connect it to a more powerful computer doesn't it? I wish that I could do that with my Surface Pro.

cyberpunk likes this.
  15. cyberpunk

cyberpunk

Ah, sorry. I must have skipped the part where the Cintiq plugs into your computer. In that case, it's much more useful than the tablets I mentioned. Still seems a bit pricey, but probably worth it for serious artists.

16. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Big artist using unity here. I considered the cintiq companion 2 last year but ended up buying a gaming laptop with a cintiq 13"... did that when my desktop broke down and I had a big contract on the way. It was like $300 more than companion, but it was the best choice I think. Of course it'll all depend on what your planning to do with. If 3D work in hi rez models then I think it's best to have a gaming laptop with cintiq 13" ; companion is absolutely capable but is also way behind a gaming laptop...

Ony and Ryiah like this.
  17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I do some larger 3D work on my similarly spec'd device and it's fine. I wouldn't want to play demanding games on it, or work on complex scenes, but for general development it's pretty nifty. Writing code and generally working in the editor is great, and you don't need the game to run at 60 (or even 30) FPS in the Editor to test what you're working on.

So for me it wouldn't be useful as an only or primary development machine, but as a secondary machine it's fantastic. Plus, being a tablet form factor with pen input and stuff means it's super convenient for other uses, too, so sometimes I use it for design work while also using my desktop PC for heavy-lifting work.

Edit: For completeness' sake, my device is an i5, 8gb RAM, Intel GPU.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    cyberpunk and Ryiah like this.
  18. Ony

Ony

My partner wanted one of those recently, but we decided in the end to build her a kickass desktop system with a Cintiq HD 13 (not Companion) to go with it. Since most of her time is spent sitting at the desk working on art, spending more on a standalone Cintiq with less power didn't make as much sense.

19. sadicus

sadicus

I appreciate all the advice and feedback.
    "use it for design work while also using my desktop PC for heavy-lifting work." balance of portability and the fact it can connect to a more powerful workstation and function as a tablet.is what sounds like it might work best.
    I have a Sager 17" laptop that has worked flawlessly. It's 4 yrs old and I do all my work on it. However, It's not a device I can leave mom's basement and sketch in public with. You know know how some people go to a cafe order 1 drink and plugin the workstaion and stay all day?

20. Santi2D3D

Santi2D3D

After many years of deep usage, and having owned Intuos pro small, medium, graphires, bamboo, intuos 1, genius, cintiq 12" WX, and my Wacom XL (which I use and love), I'd say, for me at least is more confortable just an intuos (I can set at any distance of the screen, and in reality, the technology is very similar). Plus a regular pc, any basic one these days even, and even just a Wacom non pro but MEDIUM size does the deal super well, and is just 200 bucks. For portability (seems your case), I very much would prefer an iPad Pro. It's a lot superior to both SF4 and Cintiqs at that size (in drawing matters! As a complete work station the other two are much better). The feel, tracking, parallax, and several other key factors, to me, make the Pencil and iPad pro (and am a Windows user, not an apple/iOS fan) superior. BUT... This only if you are looking for a sketching pad or an ok tablet that allows you to start any color illustration project which you will continue and end in a PC or laptop. As, OS wise, it lacks a lot of stuff, applications, even OS features for pro work. For the pleasure of drawing in something portable, and only that (also some browsing, etc) , IMO, to me it's the best option. But if wanting to develop, to use it full as your work station, both companion and SF4 are great deals. With sf4 yo have jitter issues in lines, and some palm rejection issues, but you can compensate this with stabilization and other tricks. Of those two, I'd go for SF4 if drawing is not the main thing, or you draw with Manga Studio/Clip Paint, Illustrator, Flash, Sai, or Lazy Netzumi with any application. As all those have line stabilization of some sort. If you just do basic texture work/retouch, anything can do. So, in this case, SF4 is cheaper and very good. Companion if you need more quality in the drawing act and in the screen. If you are wanting at some point to do serious illustration, though, I'd go for a Wacom Intuos Pro Large and a PC.

If you are just fine with super tiny screens (and seems quite some people is), an iPad Pro 9.7 is a super cool thing, very portable, with a better color profile embedded than the previous larger tablet, and is cheaper. But just a sketchpad, IMO (a freaking good and natural one, though). I can't even dare to think on drawing even in a companion, let alone this 9.7", but that's me. Anything lower than a 22" screen(and 40 to 50cm away from it) is not for me. The 9.7", IMHO is not well suited for scenery drawing, more than for characters or portraits and counting quite on the zoom. The larger model is kind of an A4/letter almost, is more suitable for a bit of everything. Anyway, all the time saying this is thinking on using some advanced apps, at a level quite professional now (Pro create, for example).

When I had to move quite during certain time of my life, I purchased a cheap 18.3 laptop and a wacom intuos medium both which I carried everywhere in a back pack. But I don't have an issue carrying bulky stuff...