Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Chunky character pack RTS/SIM/MOBILE

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Muzzfayce, May 27, 2015.

1. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

Hi everyone!

So I'm starting work on a 3d character pack aimed at RTS, management games and mobile games.
    I'm intending on making it modular, so you can swap in and out parts of the characters to make new characters, with both female and males, and some humanoid starfox style animals. I plan on making this pack very extensive depending on how much attention it gets, so the more suggestions for content the better.

The style of the characters is roughly going to be based upon these 2d assets of mine.

I'm roughly aiming for 1500 tris per character, and 'I'm planning on making a really solid snappy set of animations to match a character like this, all setup with humanoid inside unity.

So I have a few questions, what is more useful to you, keeping in mind the intended use for this pack.
    • What texturing style is the most useful to people, Handpainted, flat shaded, or normal mapped?
    • Is it important that the characters are compatible with other humanoid anims? (I can't see realistic animations looking good at all on these proportions though)
    • What sort of objects would be the most useful? Hammers, bladed weapons, spears, guns, ect
    • What animations are the most useful to you outside of basic movement anims? Constructing, climbing, swimming, shooting, attack moves with combos?
    • What skins are more useful? Real world fashion, job related wear, soldiers, fantasy objects?
    • Simple Facial expressions? worth it? Really the question here is if you want to use them up close, or just for distant characters.
    • Hands? Should they just be balls, or do you at least want some articulation?
    Right now is the time to request anything crazy, and see if i can do it!

Right now this is the rough proportions of the characters I'm putting together.

P.s, is this in the right section, or should it be in the asset store section?

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

Here we go, base female and male meshes. Both coming in at approx 900 tris.

3. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

I threw together a rough concept for the faces, and just so i can direct the modelling to match a bit better.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

Here is where i am at for the base girl high poly model.

5. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

Ok i think the face geometry pretty much there.

6. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

First bake, getting closer to seeing what they are going to look like in engine.

7. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

Ok here we go!

hair and eyes here are placeholder, and the shirt is lacking a normal map, but it's starting to come together. Sitting at approx 2500 tris.

I'll probably take all these assets through the whole pipeline and make sure it all works, and then start on the male basemesh.

Still deciding if I'm going to try and do proper facial animations, or if im going to try and make body shape customisable at all.

8. Muzzfayce

Muzzfayce

First pass on the male mesh.

Trying to make friends with blender, and moving over from 3dsmax.

Slow going >_>

9. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @Muzzfayce, mmmm I think this.. your 3d model look good... buttt your 2d characters look AWESOME with that animation style.

How you made the this 2d Characters and animation?
    maybe you can create an Asset of the 2d character with animation for sell in the assets store, i will be your first client :)