Search Unity

"Checking license" a possible licensing error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Placeborg, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Placeborg

Placeborg

I'm brand new too this community and I'm looking forward to work with Unity. However on updating my old (and barely used) version, I inmediately encountered a problem. I'm not sure if i'm in the right place to ask these kind of questions, but I'm sure that someone can point me in the right direction if that's the case.

This is what happened:
    I just updated Unity to the latest version. To get it working I had do create this account on the Unity website. So I did. Afterwards I logged in using the updated Unity software and wanted to activate a personal license. I filled in the short survey after, but I wasn't able to complete it for an unknown reason. When I restarted unity I couldn't get too the survey anymore and now it gets stuck in the "checking license" screen.

Can anyone help me? Anything is appreciated, since I need too get Unity up and running for a school project.

Attached Files:

Jashugan likes this.
  2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I've just checked with our support team, we know of this issue and we're trying to solve it.

In the mean time you can try a few things to get it working, hit the X and see if your license has activated by going to Help > About Unity.

One of our other support techs said that she had a customer who disabled a proxy and it worked

What was the older version of Unity you had, did you have a Pro or a Free License?

LuckyKoala likes this.
  3. Placeborg

Placeborg

The problem is resolved. It had something to do with a licensing file in my "C:\ProgramData\Unity" folder. The file was probably blocking connection with the unity licensing servers. Thanks for your help!

Jashugan and Aurore like this.
  4. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

im having this issue on my mac too. Its the most recent version of unity and had a pro trial license I think.

Help > About Unity is locked from use.

5. maclover

maclover

I am new to Unity and wanting to learn more about this fantastic engine. However, I am having the same issue and I'm not even able load a Unity project. I downloaded the free personal version. I am also using a Mac. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running 10.10.3.

Help > About Unity is also locked from use for me.

I'm pretty much stuck and unable to use Unity. Please advise.

Attached Files:

6. QuantumCalzone

QuantumCalzone

I fixed the issue. I had to delete all of unity. Install an older version. Open that. Then it said my license expired so I selected to use the free version. Then unity was able to work. Then I downloaded the most recent unity and it was cool.

7. maclover

maclover

Which older version did you install? I tried several older versions of Unity 5 and I'm still not able to get it to work. It keeps spinning on checking license.

8. imises-ny

imises-ny

I have the same problem...Unity stuck at "Updateing License" (OSX Yosmite 10.10.3).

9. imises-ny

imises-ny

10. nxgravity

nxgravity

I've been getting this same error a lot with the latest version of Unity (as of 7/1/2015), even after the offline activation fix. I found the easiest way to solve it is to delete the Unity licensing file:
    **This works in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I have not attempted such a fix in other operating systems, but I suspect the premise is the same**
    1) Close Unity entirely
    2) Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Unity
    3) Delete the .ulf file (Version 5 is typically "Unity_v5.x.ulf".).
    4) Start Unity again

You'll be prompted to reactivate, but once you do that you'll be all set, I suspect.

Hope this helps!
    ~nXgravity

11. jposey

jposey

I have deleted the ULF file to get past this issue, which happened after I could not get past the Survey... and I still can't get past the Survey. I've filled that thing out several times this morning. Neither Skip nor OK works, even with every field entered.

EDIT: I am up and running again. I think it's just a Survey issue. If I leave the Survey completely blank at first and choose Skip, it lets me through.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Aurore

Aurore

13. malek8

malek8

14. Aurore

Aurore

Can you upgrade to 5.1.2 and see if the issue still persists. You can also try deleting your license file if you haven't already.

15. vijayandrson

vijayandrson

It looks like problem with license only. You cannot install digitally signed license from OS level..
    Make sure that Hardware key should be correct.
    Try below thing:
    1) Logon with user *

2) Delete permanent license.

3) Then reinstall it. If problem persists then try to install maintenance license.

16. MiuSicK

MiuSicK

worked for me as well. Thanks for the tip

17. sunilchaudhary3112

sunilchaudhary3112

I am facing issue with unity for AR.I downloaded the personal edition.After installing on starting its giving error for license. I guess for personal edition we don't need to buy license just like visual studio community.
    Can some one please help me with this error?
    Thanks

18. knifeyau

knifeyau

If anybody is still dealing with this, I fixed the problem by closing unity, opening C:\ProgramData\ and deleting the "Unity" folder inside. Then when I ran unity again, it asked all the info to setup the licensing info (the only thing which was in the unity folder). It then started fine and had all my old projects etc. To say again, NOT c:\program files! ProgramData is a hidden folder, both in the sense windows won't show you system folders, and windows won't show you "hidden" folders by default, this is both. You can still access it without seeing hidden folders, just type in the path directly, C:\ProgramData and it will take you to the hidden folder.

19. My workstation has been offline for some three months now; i connected it to my data hotsot (really weak connection, lots of packet loss) and now all of the sudden all of my unity versions have this licensing issue. Support still working on it?

20. nguyenthanhliemfc

nguyenthanhliemfc

Maybe time region. Check your GMT Time

21. My time was fine. I managed to reset the license (only worked on 5.0)

22. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have the latest version. I switch licenses all the time for PS4 and Switch and Normal. The system is not working well. One time it works and the other returns weird messages of errors.

23. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Now it doesnt take Nintendo Switch license. It says ok and then stucks...

24. DANIYALSALEEM379

DANIYALSALEEM379

can any body help i having trouble signing in and not even manual activation with unity hub i tried reinstalling but not working i tried every solution in this conversation but not working please help by the way i am using Unity 2019.1.0a12 personal version

25. DANIYALSALEEM379

DANIYALSALEEM379

guys i just install the older version of unity 2017.2.4 and my unity beta 2019 automatically start working

26. LuckyKoala

LuckyKoala

I disabled proxy and it worked.

27. unity_007fkj

unity_007fkj

Its 2020, sometime you get license error so there is the fixed. Just simply reactivate it.