Search Unity

Chargeback, how does it protect my rights as a publisher ?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Carbon-Productions, May 30, 2015.

1. Carbon-Productions

Carbon-Productions

Let me make this quick:
    Is this for real ? a guy could buy my 45$ asset, keep a copy of it, and then just do a chargeback ?
    Im not distributing my stuff for free you know...

My asset does exactly what it says it does, and you can test the demo on a web player, read the description, see some photos of it's content.
    And of course, it was validated by the Unity-AS-team, so it's LEGIT.

Why on earth would you have the possibility to get a 45$ asset for free ?

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

From what I have seen your going to lose far more from piracy.. There will always be an element of ppl whe expect something for free and are quite happy to steal it. There is also a pct of that group who just want to try before they buy.

That said there are also a lot of decent folk who understand that they need to support you if they want long term enhancement and support. Its just the reality of it.

You would be better off focussing on converting ppl with a high quality product IMHO.

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Chargebacks on the AssetStore are done when the purchase was made with stolen credit card details, it is not a refund requested by the purchaser, those need to have the approval of the asset author. Not a lot you can do when people choose to steal your work I am afraid, as AdamGoodrich said you will already have a lot of people using your asset for free and the main reason stolen credit card info is used is to acquire assets to then place them on piracy site or sell them on China based ebay equivalents.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I considered and prototyped making all my stuff server based. I could control access then. The bummer is that I would then impact legitimate customers. Their feedback was that if it was server based then they would not buy it.

boysenberry likes this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This brings up a great question though -
    And not just for the asset store, but for most purchases with cc

Why are purchases approved before the cc is found to be fraudulent? Isn't that kind of backwards?
    It seems a cc purchase should have a pending status until the cc info provided can be authenticated.
    That sure would cut down on that avenue of piracy.