Search Unity

CharacterController isGrounded problem

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by AtomMc, Oct 28, 2011.

1. AtomMc

AtomMc

Hello, im experiencing a problem with the isGrounded function in Unitys CharacterController script.

Each update I check to see if the capsule is grounded and using this function. I have exposed a variable in the inspector and set it equal to isGrounded. My character can only jump when grounded and has different run speeds for on the ground and whilst airbourne.

However whilst my character is grounded (either stationary or running) the variable is seen to flicker on and off. This does not give any issues with jumping for some reason, although it affects the run speed of my character. The capsule has a height of 4 and radius of 0.75 and the ground is a standard cube.

Has anybody experienced this problem also or has any insight into a fix. Thank you.

2. U7Games

U7Games

Hi, yes, the same, i have posted before here some months ago, i didn´t understand how to solve it.. i hope someone can help here.. i will be checking this .

3. AtomMc

AtomMc

Hey, yeah its an odd problem. I was searching around for fixes and found some which suggested multiple Moves may be the cause though I only carry out one Move per update.

I would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks

4. AtomMc

AtomMc

5. Tiles

Tiles

Try to put your event to set the flag to is grounded at another location of the script.

6. hatless

hatless

I've also been bitten by this in two unrelated projects -- I'd like to hear from anyone who understands the problem.

7. AtomMc

AtomMc

I tried Tiles' suggestion, unfortunetly it didnt work.
    Due to the timescale of my project, ive had to search for an alternative method.
    Im now using a Physics.SphereCast to detect if the capsule is grounded which is so far working perfectly.
    Thanks for your posts and hope for a fix soon :D

8. Wicked0Wizard

Wicked0Wizard

Well I had this problem too. I fixed it by applying setting my downward velocity to gravity every frame. Not adding it just setting it equal to. Thank you quill18creates on youtube for your cure.

quill18creates

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  9. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

I don't know exactly why that is happening (it happened to me too), but I suspect that if movement is called in a non-FixedUpdate frame it will cause the bug. So just move your movement code to FixedUpdate (not Update).