Search Unity

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. voncarp

voncarp

Regardless if you can accommodate any of my requests, this is still a five star system. Terrific amount of content for ninety bucks.

2. RobinS

RobinS

@Venged,
    I just submitted the update. it includes the scene from the Setup Guide Video. It should be a lot easier now to compare while following the guide. Also the scripts are well documented.
    You're welcome.

@voncarp,
    Thank you so much! I'm working really hard on this system, it means a lot to me.

3. RobinS

RobinS

Version 2.0 is out, finally! ;-)

- Overall optimizing.
    - Added a function which adds the ability to run down strong slants while staying on ground.
    - Added throwing animation.
    - Added functionality to trigger the throwing animation (with "T")
    - Movement is smoother now with warmup and smooth stoping.
    - Added a new way of moving sideways (strafing).
    - Added sideSpeed variable to the HeroMotor class.
    - Fixed a problem with "UseRagdoll".
    - Added the possibility to climb out of water.
    - Animation setting fine-tuned.
    - Procedural animation fine-tuned.
    - Head position in the HeroCamera class is now exposed.
    - Added a Setup Guide Video (see Thread 1st page)
    - Added the Setup Guide tutorial scene.
    - Added a new Web-player Demo. (switch scenes with "0" and "9", "T" to trigger Throw)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Playable Demo

4. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Just amazing, exceeds my expectations for a starter kit, and is definitely undervalued at $90. Can't wait for it to be live in the asset store!

5. ZJP

ZJP

Very good job.
    Missing some mixing animation (throwing and crunch for example) and an ik solver on the feet. ;)

6. Mihai93

Mihai93

and the horse animation?

7. Unicron

Unicron

Sorry if this question has already been answered, I'm at work and can't read all the pages.

We need to be able to switch from 1st person to 3rd person, very similar to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, just wanted to confirm. Also, are ranged/projectile weapons such as guns supported?

Thanks!

8. poboczny

poboczny

9. Archania

Archania

You still going to do this? I'm just wondering... Would be a great addition to what we have as a tutorial...

10. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I can still do the Ninja > MotionBuilder tutorial if there is still a need. I didn't think anyone would still be interested now that Rob has included the source blender file. He has made the process of re-targeting in motionbuilder a breeze. I'm afraid if I were to make such a tutorial I would only be repeating the autodesk training material on youtube, but again if you guys still want this I can still put it together, but if you already have experience with motionbuilder, I wont be teaching you anything new but motionbuilder basics.

11. Archania

Archania

I want to learn motionbuilder. I guess I could follow dt stuff. And I don't use blender. Basically if you think I can learn it from dt the cool otherwise think about making one for idiots. Lol an Idiots guide.

12. RobinS

RobinS

@UnleadedGames,
    Thank you very much! I want this package to be indie friendly and affordable to as much as possible.

@ZJP,
    Thanks! I'm already working the list down for the next release ;-)

@Mihai,
    People use different horses, it needs to be animated together to look good.

@Unicron,
    Yes, you can switch states in realtime, 1st person, orbit and 3rd person.
    Animations for ranged are in work, also the functionality to trigger them, but i will not deliver a damage or ray cast shooting system for that in the near future, but who knows ;-)
    You're welcome.

@poboczny,
    Thank you! Yes you can rigg them to the skeleton provided in my package or retarget them in Unity 4 or maya, MotionBuilder etc.

@Archania, UnleadedGames,
    Yes the upgrade contains the source file, with even bonus animations, great for mixing blending etc.
    I think with this the package contains about 130 animations to work with! More will come ;-)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  13. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

But maybe in a far far away update you can put a mounting example inside this character system so we can learn how to do it, please.

Btw. send you a pm.

14. RobinS

RobinS

Yes maybe, my main goal is to do the animation part and character controller as good as possible. Maybe in the future.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  15. RobinS

RobinS

16. Unicron

Unicron

In regards to the ranged animations/triggers, do we have to wait until you add those in or is there a way to add those in ourselves in the current version?

17. RobinS

RobinS

Yup, you'll have to wait until i release them or do them by yourself, it is a package for Dev's. You have the source code, video and code documentation 2 sample scenes, plus everything else in the package to get a kickstart on purchase.

18. crucio777

crucio777

all the updates for packages will be free or we will be charged again if there is a big update (i mean like 200 animations something like that idk) :D
    p.s not to sound cheap this looks as a great pack but i am only a student and can only afford to pay 90 $ once for this pack

19. RobinS

RobinS

All updates will be Free for customers, but the price will raise on updates, of course ;-)

20. crucio777

crucio777

yeah thanks for that i am hoping to buy it by nov- dec (i gotta collect money from my college breaks :p )
    btw how much do you think it will cost by dec after the updates(rough figure will be appreciated )

21. RobinS

RobinS

Hard to tell, but it will stay indie friendly and very reasonable ;-)

22. msl_manni

msl_manni

I suppose you are working on mecanim for this project.
    When can the mecanim update be available for this package?
    What is better for this kind of project - MecAnim or Scripted (as it is now).

Can you post the roadmap for this project?
    Want to see what it would be in its final stage. It will be e deciding factor in my purchase of this asset.

23. RobinS

RobinS

I will work on this as soon as Unity 4 is shipped. When it is released is hard to tell but i will do my best.
    What is better - Also hard to tell, from what i have seen in the preview video, i think both have their strengths and weak points.

The roadmap - next release is making very good progress, it will come with about 120 animations and new functionality, like rifle, pistol and bow shooting plus some other cool stuff.

Cheers

24. Hboybowen

Hboybowen

I did the demo and I have to say this looks like a excellent starting point. Is the two scene's in the demo included in this to refer back to? Also your first person camera is ok but needs work. I'm sure if you don't have plans to fix it I can but I do believe you should look at this whitepaper by DICE.

http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/creating-first-person-movement-for-mirrors-edge-3151885

I will purchase after the next release.That alone includes pretty much everything I need to use as somewhat of a core. Next and final question is how easy is it to replace each animation given the same trigger?

25. RobinS

RobinS

Thanks! And you are right both scenes are included. The 1st person camera is easy to tweak, you could place it directly at the head position then limit the rotation and adjust damping exactly like you want. In the demo scenes it is placed slightly in front because i would have to remove the head (separate the model) to avoid clipping when switching camera modes. I hope that makes sense ;-)
    The animation clips just needs to be placed/linked on the character's animation component and the clip names need to be replaced in the animation controller script "HeroAnim".
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  26. msl_manni

msl_manni

Cant you disable the render component of the mesh and then you can position the camera anywhere.

27. RobinS

RobinS

Yes, you're right thats basically how i did it for weapon switching, but the character and realtime shadow wouldn't be visible in 1st person mode then.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  28. msl_manni

msl_manni

Alternatly if you need arms also showing in the view, then you can make a model with full body and arms only. You can switch between the two meshes according to camera type, using enable/disable render component of the model mesh. That way you get more freedom to create your meshes how you like..

29. RobinS

RobinS

Yes, why not, but you would have to care of two model sets animate them proper with transitions. How would the realtime shadow of the character look.
    I like the straight forward way like it was done in operation flashpoint for instance ;-) But also interesting idea!

30. Venged

Venged

I have been struggling to rigg my Leopardist Character to the Ninja Skeleton. I am looking to contract someone to rigg my Mesh to the Ninja skeleton in the Character System and attach some or all of the animations.

I can be contacted at

rswelch64@gmail.com

Thanks

Robert Welch
    AKA Venged

http://youtu.be/tquhbHyrfUs

31. RobinS

RobinS

Hi Venged,

Will send you a pm.
    Nice video! ;-)

Cheers

32. Venged

Venged

The Character System from Robin S works very well with the Advanced Fantasy AI. I was able to populate this level and have in working in about 15 to 29 minutes.

http://youtu.be/40ZriV2lhCk

33. RobinS

RobinS

Venged, very cool, in that short amount of time!
    Also,i would suggest to tweak the animation, speed settings and character lightning a little ;-)
    Cheers.

34. quydoau

quydoau

Hi,

I notice in V2 the animation wasn't as smooth as in V1 when the Ninja returns to idle from evade left/right and sidestep. This is not really a problem just not as good as V1.

Also after the Ninja ragdoll and fall down, sometime there's an sit up either front or back animation other time he just appears above ground and landed. I went though the scripts but couldn't work out how to make the animation to always sit up either back/front. Would you please point me to the right direction?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  35. dreadt9

dreadt9

Hey,
    I currently have a problem where for some of my custom climb colliders, it climbs up and magically sinks back down while keeping the same climb animation, please help

36. RobinS

RobinS

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback! I'm currently working on version 3 it is a huge update with about 30 new animations and functionality, i'm doing also some animation setting fine tuning for this release.

For the standup/situp handling: it is triggered due a delegate from the HeroPhysic class start at line 166 end at line 186. The receiver is in HeroAnim line 301 - 325. The cached string determines with animation is triggered in MainState.Physic line 1075 - 1084.
    I hope that helps.

Cheers

37. RobinS

RobinS

Hey,

This should be a problem with the scale, size and pivot of the climb object Have you seen my tutorial video ?
    Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhSIa4_6yoo&feature=channel&list=UL
    You can fit the box collider while holding shift with the left mouse and scale it in its local x direction. the pivot needs to be roughly at the top edge of your climbable spot.
    $Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-10 um 14.35.22.png
    I hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  38. quydoau

quydoau

Thanks Robin for the script pointers. Wow, another 30 animations, that's amazing thank you and keep up the good work. I have a suggestion for another animation if it's not already in your list and not too late to add, it's stepping up and down stairs. By the way I have been playing around with the Ninja in various scenes and it's been great. I think this is the best asset I have ever bought.

When Ninja is standing on a steep slope he slides down which is fine, on uneven ground he still slides slowly. I tried to adjust the angle in HereMotor.ForwardVec between 10f to 90f but can't stop the slow sliding. Is there a way to stop sliding completely if the slope is less than a certain angle?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  39. RobinS

RobinS

Hi quydoau,

Thanks for your kind words and your support,
    the next version is making great progress and i can't wait to show it!
    Procedural step prediction plus a proper leg ik solver would be needed to accurate walk stairs, but it will cost more performance and can easily look very stiff and silly ^^
    For your steep slope concern, try to adjust the physic material or remove it. Hope that helps ;-)
    Cheers

40. blubeetle

blubeetle

Hmm.....wonder what am I missing here....

A piece of software worth $90 that doesn't come with ANY proper documentation, let alone critical basic instructions on how to make good of it for the buyers' needs--in written form as to avoid misinterpretation, which, in this case, is how to custom-rig the default doll (the ninja/dummy) with the buyers' own character(s), despite the fact that that's EXACTLY the basic function of what the item has to offer.

And even after being pushed around by the legitimate buyers, all the creator could come up with was a YouTube recording that doesn't even close to being clear of what to do with the merchandise. And instead of make amends, he came up with excuses and retorted back?

???

41. quydoau

quydoau

@blubeetle -"Hmm.....wonder what am I missing here...."

I'm just speaking for myself, agree there's not much documentation and the video doesn't show enough detail. More documentation would definitely make it better. However the codes are well written, commented and not that hard to understand if you are prepared to dive in scripting. I did and learned heaps. I'm enjoying it.

42. blubeetle

blubeetle

Regardless, I think I speak for many when I say that proper basic instructions and/or manual of use is part of the legal rights of any sane buyer when purchasing anything. This is especially particular because the item is charged with money. In the case where manual and/or instruction doesn't exist--for whatever reason, it should be mentioned clearly and as distinctly by the seller as such, and that this fact should be made known by the buyer before transaction occurs. Even so, afterwards, the buyers still have the rights to ask for the instruction/manual, simply for the fact that they have paid for the item to have it works as advertised by the seller.

Otherwise, it would be called--and should be, I believe: "entrapment". If not worse.

Beside, how hard is it to make one for the seller's own benefit, anyway? It's his responsibility, just as the buyers' responsibility to pay him/her with whatever price s/he deems fit for the item.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  43. voncarp

voncarp

Until the release of Unity 4, issues with retargeting your animations with custom characters are dependent on what modeling application you are going to use to retarget your animations.

If your model is blender compatible I can offer some direction on how to accomplish this. Perhaps, someone else may know in regards to other modeling software. Just ask.

I suspect it may be difficult for the author of this system to create documentation to accommodate every modeling program, but he has been extremely helpful to me with my requests and I believe he'll make the same attempt with yours.

44. Acolit

Acolit

I have a problem, when i climbing camera twitches like a crazy...
    and when i jumping it's looks bad, Thank you!
    Unity version 3.5.4 =(
    I can add a video.

45. Drunk Ulbabrab

Drunk Ulbabrab

From what i read in this thread this asset is great but with no documentations.
    If you can release this motionbuilder tutorial you will help undecided people like me to buy this asset.

p.s. sorry for my bad english.

46. blubeetle

blubeetle

Thank you very much for the kind and thoughtful offer. But I did not buy the software. My remarks were simply made off of irk and sympathy for the buyers after reading the entire thread--perhaps including you, who have been robbed off one of our basic rights, common sense and etiquette in terms of trading.

Besides, with respect, why must you be the one burdened by the author's actions? Beside the sweet promises, I do not see any information about Unity 4 blabla in the Selling Page--the first one in this thread. Even until now, while more and more buyers--especially the non-coders, are lured in and buying and end up biting their nails having spent relatively a hefty sum for something that is eventually useless because they can't make good of the item by themselves, and then are forced to come back begging and wailing until the author snaps--all despite the fact of the obvious.

I'm not a techie by any means, but if the program is ultimately not intended for the current release of Unity or that it is basically targeted for a specific 3D builder application (as you said)--or any other inadequacy at that, then say so beforehand and as clearly. This way the buyers can judge for themselves whether or not they can actually benefit by making a purchase. Further suggestions, requests or complaints, therefore, become null.

That's all, really.

47. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I'm very busy with my project at the moment, but I will try to take time and create a series of tutorials explaining my workflow to retarget Rob's animations over the next week or so. Since each character is unique and requires a bit of setup to retarget I will only be showing a very simple quick and to the point set of tutorials. If time permits I'll even show the setup of a custom level from scratch with our new character and show how to fine tune and make adjustments.

To the guy complaining who never even bought the product, how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously? Honestly you just lost all credibility and seems you are only here to complain for others, and as an actual customer I share NONE of your complaints or opinions so please stop talking for the majority. It's not the authors job to teach you Unity basics, which is about the only thing required to set up new scenes. He states several times threw out this thread that his product is aimed at programmers. I am not, and I am using it just fine and never even watched his video tutorial.

48. RobinS

RobinS

Good evening everyone! :D

@quydoau and @voncarp,
    Thank you very much guys, i couldn't have said it better ;-)

@Acolit,
    I could take a look at your project if you don't mind, just dropbox a link in my direction please ;-)

@Drunk Ulbabrab,
    I will do an additional tutorial for the next update, Version 3 ;-)

@UnleadedGames,
    You rock! Thanks a lot.. Can't wait to deliver the next version to you guys ;-) .. means back to work for me now.

Cheers

49. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hi Robin, just been playing a lot with the demo... I m currently developping an asset compatible with that wonderful system. However i need a few information to be able to match the character system. What is the minimal required animation set to match the system ? could you give a list of all the animation you re using ?

how does the combo system work ? i mean : can i do a 10 hit combo animation ? and then what ? does the animation play while player pressing the attack button ? Do i have to create the attack anims as simple attack that have to be chain-able ? or can i create a 10 / 20 / infinite hit combo anim ? About jump attack ??? any possible ? a double jump handling would be nice also.

About climbing : can he only climb up ? i played with the demo but couldn't identify wether he can grab an edge or not while falling. So can the system handle a climb down anim ? Can i create a jump to wall anim ( mean jump and when reaching the apex a "stick to wall" anim ) ?

EDIT : about strafing is it a procedural walk animation set at run time to be sideways or can the system handle a strafing anim ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions.

Keep up the awesome work!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  50. RobinS

RobinS

Hi rosor,

Very cool man! The short answers would be: if you can program a little, just integrate any feature and animations you want, a solid and efficient base is there.
    If you can not program, just replace the existing animations with your own ones. The current version supports 90 animation, the next version even roughly 130, out of the box ;-)
    The combo system is done in single animations and steps.. if lets say, anim 1 is almost finished and you press the key again you trigger anim 2. If not pressed, the state will be reseted and it starts from beginning. You can chain as many anims as you want, i did 2 and 3 step combo chains for the demo.
    Very easy to expand these.
    The animations should have decent transitions to look cool of course ;-)

Climbing, the pack comes with a huge set of climbing animations for climbing walls edges small walls etc. With wall climbing you can move up and down similar to ladder climbing and leap climbing is like jumping from edge to edge. if you want to climb downwards you drop and can catch an nearby edge if had a good timing. There is even a unique animation for that ;-)
    Jump to wall is also integrated if standing on ground it is triggered automatically, also with a unique animation clip.
    Currently about 30 - 40 animations just for climbing and balancing.

Stafing animation is basically running, walking, sneaking etc. dependent on walk mode and input direction. Procedurally and you can of course use your own anims for that. For further modifying basic scripting knowledge is required.

You are welcome and thank you too! ;-)

Here is a list of the currently integrated animations :
    $Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-17 um 22.45.29.png
    -cut-
    $Bildschirmfoto 2012-08-17 um 22.46.58.png

Cheers,
    Robin