Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. RobinS

RobinS

mrbdrm@ You need some basic scripting knowledge to work with scripts and even in unity to be successful, patience is needed.
    Exposing a variable is basic, anyway i told you that i will help.

2. RobinS

RobinS

And Baldi, thanks for your support ;-)
    The next update is almost ready for lunch!

3. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

i know how to read and understand code and the point of buying this is to not wast time on making it or fixing it .
    if you remember in the sugestions in the second page :
    4- if you are walking with W and pressed D to strafe , the speed of the player goes very slow (especially annoying in first person camera)
    you answered "its a matter of taste"
    how can i change it ? there is no option for side walking speed , there is only for walking in general .
    also nice information on how to make games :) i never new that ...

4. RobinS

RobinS

Mohammed,
    You could easily implement/add a new variable and use it as modifier for strafing.
    And yes i build the system to my personal taste, of course it's up to you to chance anything you want. I am not selling a finished game here.
    You are the only one complaining about it and your rating is not fair and an insult to my hard work.

5. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

first of all im sorry if you feel insulted
    if you sell an assest with that price its not a good idea to ask the customers to implement/add thnigs to make basic things that should be already implemented by you .
    when i asked you about the ability to change 2 things you said its easy after i trusted you and paid for the asset none of them work as you said .
    there is no documentation or setup guide
    im not asking for a finished game im not buying one , the asset was not what i was expecting and as the other review said "its not ready"
    fix the problems and treat your customers with care and i will gladly change the review :)
    anyway i dont like rating like this but i also dont like feeling cheated.

6. RobinS

RobinS

Mohammed,
    It's impossible to fit everyones needs, this is not a freelance job for you. You paid 90$ not 9000$.
    And i will tell you again, YOU need basic scripting knowledge to modify scripts, this is simple logic.
    And i say it again, i told you that i will help, you are not the only customer, patience is needed.
    I made a Setup Guide video , have you seen it ? Also the scripts are well documented.
    It's not ready for you because you seem to expect a push one button and everything works the mohammed way solution.
    Let's lay down this discussion now, it consumes to much of my time which should be spend on adding new animations and features right ?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. Archania

Archania

Robin,
    After watching your videos and reading this thread. I have to say I'm highly impressed and looking forward to purchasing it.
    I can see your really dedicated to your system.
    This should really work well when I try to animate my characters.
    Mrbdrm... Relax alittle. There are always changes that you the end user will have to make to scripts no matter where you get them from. Heck I'm in the process of getting an rpg kit figured out so I can use it for what I want. Robin is offering help but I'm sure helping several others too. It only you. So again relax.
    Keep up the fantastic work Robin!

8. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Robin just saw your set up movie, great and i like the asset more now.

What i hope to see in "future" updates are give and receive animations, lifting and laying animations, a push animation like pushing a heavy stone, another push animation like pushing a button, a pulling animation like pulling an lever and also i would like to see shooting animation like shooting with an old pirate pistol and also it would be great if there will be an easy solution for weapon change like from sword to knife to a different sword to an old postol ....

Sorry, i know i wrote some of these before.

Beside that i think i will buy in august :)

9. RobinS

RobinS

Archania,
    Thank you very much, i spend my lifetime in game art and take my work quite serious.
    And i really appreciate your support and looking forward to your feedback ;-)
    Thanks again!

10. RobinS

RobinS

RandAIThor,
    Thanks for your feedback, that are some crazy ideas! Which i like ;-)
    The most animations you mentioned are already on my list for future versions, including some surprises of course ^^.

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Forget one of these crazy ideas ;)
    Draging a havy box in cooperation with the heavy stone pushing wich can be a box too.

12. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

sent you a PM

13. RobinS

RobinS

That's a good start. thank you.

14. RobinS

RobinS

Ok, that shouldn't be to hard to do. But i can't promise :)

15. voncarp

voncarp

Add some firearm animations and this can branch out and cater towards a number of different projects.

16. RobinS

RobinS

Pistol and Rifle shooting is already on my TODO list. Note that the price will raise with animation updates.

17. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

Can this character system be used with arbitrary gravity directions (aka the player and camera up axis are bound to the player's y axis NOT the world's)?

18. RobinS

RobinS

Like in Mario Galaxy ? It's not made for this behaviour but it could be done.

19. ZJP

ZJP

Nice. Do not forget "throwing grenade". ;)

20. RobinS

RobinS

:D funny that you mention throwing, i have just finished a knife/shuriken throwing animation.

21. Archania

Archania

That is awesome! I'm buying this tomorrow morning! Can't wait.

22. atmuc

atmuc

@robins i could not get differences between mecanim and your character system. both systems look great. i will buy u4, so at that point i plan to wait u4 mecanim. can you explain why should i buy character system while i have mecanim. if you tell what i can not see, i can buy immediately because it looks great.

23. RobinS

RobinS

Archania,thank you for your support ;-)

24. RobinS

RobinS

atmuc, Thanks you, i'm working hard on animations and the controllers. You can be sure that i will offer an implementation or port to Mecanim, which i'm very excited about. It gives you the freedom of retargeting animations inside Unity.. Means you can use my animations on any bipedal character you want! Plus climbing, swimming etc. ;-)

25. Mihai93

Mihai93

RobinS what's new on update 2?

26. vished

vished

Looks great...
    Is there any support for flying (Jet packs etc.)? NPCs?

27. RobinS

RobinS

Thanks!
    Flying is not implemented, but could be done.
    By "Not Player Characters" you mean AI ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  28. rockysam888

rockysam888

(bookmarked)

29. mightymao

mightymao

Looking good! I watched your tutorial video and in my opinion it is too fast. I think that you should include your voice or insert more sentences. Especially, it is hard see all the detail in the YouTube video quality.

30. Venged

Venged

This package is great!!!!!!!!!!:D

31. quydoau

quydoau

This is amazing, the animation, the camera system are of professional quality. I bought it, thankyou for making it available to the community.
    I have a few suggestions:
    1. Add feminine walk and run animation, reuse other exiting animation and you have an additional female character.
    2. Shooting bow/arrow animation, well, he's a ninja
    3. Produce a written tutorial on how to re-target animation on a different character. I had watched the video and couldn't follow it, the playback screen was too small to clearly show details.

Keep up the good work.

32. Archania

Archania

I noticed that too. Even though the tutorial does a good job of showing what to to. The quality isn't what it needs to be in order to follow correctly. Looking for the next update! Keep up the great work.

33. wmgcata

wmgcata

For some reason these animation styles make me think of Uncharted 3. Anyways, i'll probably get it soon because i'm in a high need of something like this.

34. RobinS

RobinS

@mightymao,
    Thanks for your suggestions! I will take that into account for next time.

@Venged,
    Thank you ! ;-)

@quydoau,
    Thanks for your kind words ! ;-)
    1. Added to my list, had at least 4 users suggesting this feature set.
    2. Also added, bow n' arrow rocks, will have a good reference due olympia time ;)
    3. I planned to do so when unity 4 arrives, retargeting is somewhat of easy and fun there. (see video)
    Outside of Unity you would need Motionbuilder or Maya licenses to retarget.
    Modo can't in 601 as far as i know.
    Thanks again.

@Archania,
    Thank you for your feedback, i'm planing on doing a new one for the Mecanim implementation.
    I will submit the upgrade today, doing the last tests atm, to avoid bad surprises later ;-)
    I my opinion it is even more fun to move around now with the avatar.

@wmgcata,
    Makes me proud to hear that, a very cool game! Thank you. And I'm glad to hear that ;-)

35. normz

normz

Awesome. Almost exactly what I needed.

Two things I'd love to see.

Pick up/ hold / throw object: Push a button and the character picks up the item, the item is connected to the hand bone and holds it. If the button is pushed again the character throws the object.

Wall run: The character can run up walls.

If you could do add that. I'll buy it 100%, even tip...

Or if I buy the character system would you program it in for me? I'll pay if you're interested! :p

Great Work!

36. hesa2020

hesa2020

Hi i got the chance to test it and i have to say this is absolutly awesome, but it still need some fix, like when you run and jump on box and u hit it, your character fall and cant come back to idle.

Like if its not a dying operation it will come back up and else you cant come back up ( currently if i press the climb button the character stop the ragdoll )

And yes, run on wall them climb willl be good ( style Assassin's creed )
    And run on wall from left-to right
    Like prince of persia will be good too !!!

37. RobinS

RobinS

I'm glad to hear that.;-)

Wall running like known in the parkour scene is already on my to do list, it had at least 3 requests.
    Or do you mean running a wall straight upwards? Could also be interesting ;-)

Pick up/ hold/ throw : would require to fit the animation individually to the object my 3d app, to make it looking spectacular and good.

Thanks!

38. RobinS

RobinS

Hi, and thanks for your feedback.
    In some situations for example: The character hangs over a ledge or is in a knot like position in ragdoll-mode. Recover from ragdoll doesn't trigger automatically because the condition isn't met. But you can trigger it manually via code or button condition. In the demo scene i picked "E" to do so.

You have a good taste in games, i agree ;-)
    I will work on these features for sure.

39. hesa2020

hesa2020

40. RobinS

RobinS

41. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Haha, there's a lot of wall run love in this thread.

Are there any plans to implement some form of hit detection system? Such as defining high, mid, low attacks; spawning hit boxs at a certain frame in the animation; defining an "opposite reaction" animation/affect when a hit box registers? Or is this system intended to be primarily movement based?

Again, good stuff; the community has been waiting for something like this for a long time. Looking forward to seeing more of your idea's and implementations.

42. RobinS

RobinS

I can't promise to make such a system in the future, since i have a truckload of work with implementing the suggestions. But who knows It would defiantly be fun to do ;-)
    Thanks! And feel free to check out the next playable demo i will release soon!

43. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

Hey i got your Awesome System Robins !
    But i afraid its something wrong !

When unity finish Downloading it and Imported successfully , i just hit the play button to test it , but it shows an Error
    and Console told me that "Script Reference Missing (Reload_Level)"
    and when i select Reload Level Game Object i can see that "Mono Script" is Missing

i cant find similar Script that can fix this problem !

would you please tell me the name of the Script ?

44. RobinS

RobinS

Hey SobhanNina, I'm glad you like it! ;-)

Thanks for pointing it out, it is just a very simple script to reload a scene when using a Webplayer demo, i forgot to remove the gameobject ;P
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class ReloadLvl : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     // Update is called once per frame
    7.     void Update ()
    8.     {
    9.         if (Input.GetKeyDown("0"))
    10.         {
    11.             Application.LoadLevel(0);
    12.         }
    13.         else if (Input.GetKeyDown("9"))
    14.         {
    15.             Application.LoadLevel(1);
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }
    Sorry for the confusion ;-)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  45. SobhanNina

SobhanNina

Thanks for the fast support and thanks so much for your help ;)
    Hope the Bests for you RobinS;)

46. RobinS

RobinS

You're welcome! The same to you! ;-)

47. voncarp

voncarp

I added this asset to my collection a few nights ago and this is better in scene than it is on the videos. I am looking forward to any modern weapon animations, as this is limited to basic melee. I can't really fault it for that, because I knew that before the purchase. Would like to see more in climb jumping/swinging effects, such as horizontal jumping between the ledges (like in Drakes Fortune). It appears that when the character gets close to the edge, his options are to climb or just fall down.

Nevertheless, very good job. Keep it up.

48. Venged

Venged

@RobinS - I bought the Character system. Is it possible for you to share the Blender files for the Ninja. I want to re-rigg my own character to the Ninja Skeleton so I can use the Ninja animations.

Also - If you use Mixamo skeleton a lot of us will already have motions that work. This is just a thought.

Very nice kit.

Thanks,

Ven

49. RobinS

RobinS

@voncarp,
    The firearms animation set is planed for the 3rd update besides some other cool features ;-). The list already pretty long and will take many days of work,i will also have to put many hours into the mecanim port and can't promise to deliver this kind of "Drakes Fortune" horizontal jump climbing in an update in he near future. But i like the idea much and will see what i can do.
    Thank you very much.

@Venged,
    I attached a .zip file to the update for blender animators.
    Also a nice thought, but that will take to much time to retarget the 90 animations, i think it will be more efficient to wait for mecanim ;-)
    Thank you very much.

50. Venged

Venged

@RobinS Is there any additional instructions. The setup video goes to fast and I can't see what your doing all the time.

Thanks