Search Unity

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

Checked on the asset store and it looks like he has been answering to reviews since a few days back, wonder if there will be any updates and improvements besides supporting unity versions, it would be great to hear from him.

2. f1chris

f1chris

Tried the update. It's quiet buggy now !! Water look terrible, don't know what happened in there ! :-(

3. GetLitGames

GetLitGames

Does the Veteran model have 5 finger bones or just 2? Does the ninja CS version have 5 finger bones?

4. Socrates

Socrates

I have the Character System which includes the Ninja. There are two finger bones. I've posted an image of the hierarchy and the mapping blow.
    upload_2015-3-26_21-18-8.png

5. Socrates

Socrates

When loading version 5.5 of the Character System into Unity 5, it generates 55 warnings. The character controllers can still be used to run around, though they are just as unresponsive to a keystroke as they were under Unity 4.
    upload_2015-3-26_21-20-33.png upload_2015-3-26_21-20-51.png upload_2015-3-26_21-21-0.png

6. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

Is this worth buying? It looks extremely promising but the developer seems MIA. Do you have to have a special Biped for this system or can I use the Humanoid skeleton that Unity uses for Mechanim already? I would hate to have to recreate animations and remake my bones for this. Hopefully someone can give me some early warning before I purchase. Thanks

7. twobob

twobob

Main Thread

"Last edited: Oct 14, 2013"

I would say not.

8. Socrates

Socrates

If you are buying this package for the animations, maybe. This package used to be about twice the price it is currently, $90 vs $45. I bought it on sale at $45 because I wanted the animations. A lot of the animations are solid.

The character control system itself, not so much. If you read through the reviews, you will see multiple people complaining about how it is not responsive to player input, among other issues. You can certainly take the system apart and learn things from it, as I've done with multiple character systems from the Asset Store, but if you are looking for "drop it in and it works", this is not your answer. Players demand responsive controls. If character movement is off, it will ruin a game. When you have things like having to hit a key multiple times to get an action to occur and with jump being inconsistent... any game that plays that way will be crushed in the reviews.

So, animations? Yes. Character controller? No.

9. ZJP

ZJP

No...

hopeful and twobob like this.
  10. hopeful

hopeful

If you're buying this for the animations ... I'm thinking that surely you can get more and better animations elsewhere in the store.

In fact, you can get a whole lot of free animation in the store right now. If you haven't done it already, you should check that out.

twobob likes this.
  11. twobob

twobob

12. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I was wondering i anyone could help me out.
    I added a new transition to a custom State from the Base - MoveTree. Now none of the animations work. My character just stands in the T pose. Can anyone help me out? Im not sure why just adding a state would mess the whole thing up like this. Please help
    Thanks

13. dev01

dev01

Are there any plans to add a TPS aim script to this for shooting? How do I go about adding muzzle flashes and other weapons? Add a crois hair? Enemy?

14. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

those are not part of the system. You are looking for a whole game it looks like. This is just the character controller. ou have to look into how this is coded and add to it everything else. I do wish the dev would help out a bit though but it doesnt look like he is supporting this any longer

15. MarioRuiz

MarioRuiz

yeah it looks like he did the minimum effort for the U5 port so he could keep getting U5 eventual customers but it's really bugged and haven't been improved in a long time. If RobinS reads forums at all he knows this character system needs some love.

16. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello, what an amazing asset. I have some suggestion for the developer, also please note that I might have typos in this post because I didn't check what I wrote (because I'm currently busy), sorry for that.

In 1st person mode, when you use a gun, the gun is not visible - See GTA V's first person mode when using a weapon, you would see that not only does gun aims at target but is the gun visible in the view.

While jumping, if character faces a wall that is possible to jump, character should jump (Jump in jump - see the parkour jumps in YouTube) but in the asset it's impossible. (At least we can not do this in the demo)

When going forward, if you stop, character should reduces speed and then stop, I have never seen such thing in any asset yet the algorithm should be easy to create, something generally like this:

in the Void update(){
    if (User hit stop walking button - You know what I mean)
    If (PlayerSpeed>0) { //If player was running
    PlayReduceSpeedAnimation(); //Show him as he is trying to stop
    RediceSpeed(); //Reduce speed
    }
    }

Mouse sensitivity is too low,

In the free camera movement (button 2) it is better to change the direction of the character when moving forward in the direction that the camera is.

When hitting "Q" button in GTA IV, GTA V player can hide in front of a wall, that would be a cool thing for your cool asset.

Have fun.

17. TechiTech

TechiTech

lol ... this developer doesnt add to this asset

18. Ceciaman

Ceciaman

I've bought it yesterday, but i don't find any documentation.
    Can you post a code to transform desktop in mobile project?
    T's

19. f1chris

f1chris

Update ? Here ? I'm sorry but I'm afraid you'll never see any updates here :-(

20. SeanMcCarthy

SeanMcCarthy

Hi Robin, I love this asset!!!

I've been able to assign the controller and camera to my character and it works great. Only problem I'm having - when I try to use Character System in the same Project I'm developing my enemy Ai with - I get this complier error...

ApplicationException: Unable to find a suitable compiler for sources with extension 'asset' (Output assembly: Temp/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll)

UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilers.CreateCompilerInstance (MonoIsland island, Boolean buildingForEditor, BuildTarget targetPlatform, Boolean runUpdater) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/ScriptCompilers.cs:96)

I'm wondering if you can help with this sort of thing?

Thanks again for creating a magnificent asset!!

21. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

We haven't heard anything out of Robin in months, which is the main reason I decided not to buy this asset. If you click on his name to the left of his posts, it doesn't look like he has even signed into the forums since May 2014. It is kind of sad because I think this system had potential, but it pretty much seems abandoned. :(

22. twobob

twobob

Aye. Same.

23. SeanMcCarthy

SeanMcCarthy

Ahh - thanks Shawn.

24. jf3000

jf3000

This project is very dead.

25. SecretStudio

SecretStudio

Anyone found a solution to the problem were the Veteran character just runs on the spot after upgrading to Unity 2017?

Any pointers appreciated.

26. hopeful

hopeful

I don't remember much about the specifics of this system, but running in place suggests a root motion issue ...?

27. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero

I remember when I first got started with unity, and When this was new on the Asset store, that this character controller was perfect for what I needed to do.

Very Sad it's no longer and that I waited so long. even so had I not waited so long, it still would have phased out as this is no longer developed.

Really wish RobinS would bring it back up to date and release it again.