Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jf3000

jf3000

Didnt get a reply, so moved on, author obviously doesnt support the product anymore which is disappointing.

2. SedDeLibertad

SedDeLibertad

Reading that the author does not go through here, I going to throw the question to this great community: Any way to improve the responsiveness of the controls?
    Often the character don't takes actions when I press a key (eg Jump) or makes them late.

(I hope that you understand my english :p)

3. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I've noticed this as well sometimes, but I'm not sure if it's a Character System thing or a Unity thing. I don't seem to have problems actually moving my character around, but for some actions, such as jumping, or selecting weapons, I sometimes need to hit the button a few times before the command registers, and it's a bit frustrating. I always thought it was due to my games being resource hogs, and not processing fast enough to keep up. If anyone else has some insights on this, I'd love to hear them.

4. Archania

Archania

Try moving the code to the update function. If I remember correctly this has always been an issue that people have done work arounds for but it is buried in this thread.

5. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

6. anueves1

anueves1

How can i Smoot The camera rotation in FIrst Person Cause it doesn't seem quite natural

7. anueves1

anueves1

And another question
    How do i Add custom animations like Proning or leaning
    if someone has a pdf of documentation or a series of video tutorials i would be glad to See/Read Them

8. tomaz52

tomaz52

Someone can help in controls for android?? I try make virtual Keys using Ongui, but don't work.

9. Claymore

Claymore

Oh my God,i have to say it,those controlls sucks sooo hard,i cant even play normally,you have to change inputs,really,worst controlls EVER!

10. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

Can I use this to make something like assasin's creed camera? I mean orbit camera, but when I press forward, the player always gives his back to camera and run forward.

11. capcaverna

capcaverna

Wow, very awesome, this asset is very good, question this work fine in unity 4.5 indie or only in pro?

12. hopeful

hopeful

Mmm ... I can't think of what is Pro in this pack. Isn't it all indie?

13. Archania

Archania

I believe it is the IK for foot placement is for Pro only.

14. Que

Que

If I purchase the complete version, the Veteran asset is included to the package?
    Please let me know.

Thank you.

15. Que

Que

Hi Rob,
    Am I asking in the wrong forum, no reply?

16. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

No sign of Robin here since March. You may need to wait more than an hour for a reply from him... but to answer your question, according to the asset store manifest, you only get the Ninja character with the "complete" package. The Veteran package is cheaper, and includes all the same animations, so if that's the character you want to use, get it instead.

17. Que

Que

@FargleBargle thank you.

He actually replied to my email after a couple of days. Yes, I did purchased the Veteran package.

hopeful likes this.
  18. f1chris

f1chris

Anybody knows the difference in the 2 packages ? Other than the Ninja vs Veteran character.

I own Veteran one but just wondering if I'm missing something !!!

thx

19. Archania

Archania

I believe that it is just the model that is different between the 2 different ones.

20. f1chris

f1chris

oh thx. Was wondering 'cause Veteran is 45$ vs 65$ for the CharSys one

Not sure it worths $20 more for the same code.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  21. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I have added the _Vertran prefab to the BEP3 Demo Scene "FO Screne 01 NIght.unity", and I get the errors "The variable cam of HeroCamera has not been assigned", "The variable target of SmoothFollowTarget has not been assigned".
    I have dragged the HeroCam script onto the _Veteran in the Hierarchy, but the error still persists. Can you tell me how to resolve these errors? I have looked in the documentation, but I did not find anything to would help me.
    Thanks.

Or if anybody else can help me, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  22. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Well, I got it. I am not sure if the _Veteran already had the "Hero Camera Script" when I dragged him to the scene or if I have dragged the script on him in the Hierarchy. At least my _Veteran prefab has the "Hero Ctrl" and the "Hero Camera Script" added in the Inspector. I had to drag the _MainCamera onto the "Cam" property of "Hero Camera (Script)". Then it worked.

23. GameNative

GameNative

I'm using the base of your system to construct my players moment. However I'm replacing all the animations, I was wondering where in the HeroController is it restricting movement and combat to separate cycles?

I would like to be able to run and swing a sword at the same time.

24. Archania

Archania

Check the layer masks to allow the player to run/whatever.

25. GameNative

GameNative

Found it thank you!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  26. GameNative

GameNative

Still having issues, I see layers masks. Do I have to implement the layers code side or state machine? Can't find a good tutorial.

27. Archania

Archania

I know Unity has a mechanim tutorial. It is old now but it goes over layer masks. Look at Unity's YouTube videos. Might help you.

28. jayanam_games

jayanam_games

HI, just downloaded the BIG animation pack but the fbx files in it seem to be corrupted, please send me the workign animations.

Matthias

29. BuckeyeStudios

BuckeyeStudios

has anyone got this running with PUN if so any pointers

30. Black-pearl

Black-pearl

wish I read here before I bought feel a little bit let down by the price has to rewrite some of it and it still doesn't even work as well :( even the demo scenes supplied the character doesn't function properly too much delay when using controls etc animations not clean anyone any tips to make the character reaction faster?

31. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I know what you mean.. I, and a few others I know, had both this and PlayEditor in our wish lists. But the developer's lack of posts on either thread (along with the fact that this one asset hasn't been updated in a year) leave us all questioning whether he is still interested in Unity and looking at similar assets instead. :(

32. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Is it possible with the mecanim version of this to use our own animations for things like walking etc? I notice there are two dances in it, can we add our own 'other' animations / actions? also, is it easy enough to add our own RANGE of weapons and add different animations for each of them?

Can someone point to some documentaion / videos on these subjects at all?

33. hopeful

hopeful

To put it simply, this kit is mainly a humanoid model plus some animations and a couple of scripts to control movement and camera. So you can add your own animations to the mecanim state machine, you can use your own humanoid models, and you can modify the controller and camera scripts as you wish.

34. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Excellent thank you. Is the workflow pretty straight forward? So far i've avoided mecanim out right

35. hopeful

hopeful

The Character System was originally developed pre-mecanim, then was adapted to embrace mecanim. So both legacy and mecanim animations are included. It was more helpful back in the day (2 years ago), when there weren't many options for characters.

I'm not terribly fond of mecanim in its present incarnation, and I've read that other people feel it is in some ways a step back from the legacy animation technique. However, it IS important to have humanoid animation be retargetable, so that's an obvious plus, and Unity is still working on mecanim to add features. So there will be improvements to mecanim coming with Unity 5 and the updates beyond that. It is expected to get better.

Honestly, I think the Character System package should be selling for about half the current price. It is not well supported any more, it is no longer under development (getting new features), and it needs some fixing up. It's not a bad kit for when it came out, but by now ... maybe plugins like Motion Controller or Skele are a better buy, depending on what you need.

If you haven't done much with mecanim, and you're not afraid of some light programming, maybe where you should start out is with the Sample Assets. Take the Unity character controller, camera, Ethan, and animations and roll with that. If you need flying - which is in Character System - there's a free asset for that now which you can incorporate. If you need more animations, there's a multi-volume library of free animations in the asset store now, plus other assets that provide free animations for humanoid mecanim. If you need a combat system, and you were looking at CS for that, then that's a whole 'nother thing.

I apologize if it looks like I'm trolling the thread. I did enjoy getting CS way back when. But things have moved on and this asset hasn't.

FargleBargle, ZJP and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  36. ZJP

ZJP

This. R.I.P

37. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

ok, in a nutshell, taking advise from the experts. Having CS going head to head with MC, what are the pro's and cons?

38. hopeful

hopeful

MC is still supported. MC provides a method of adding animations together in sequences. Climbing in CS seemed to give people odd problems and it requires a lot of set up, while in MC to a fair extent it just works. CS gives you some combat animations and dodging animations, but you can get better looking ones now on the store and relatively cheaply. CS gives you a ninja or soldier model, MC gives you no model (but there are many free and inexpensive models in the store). CS gives you swimming animations, but I think you can get some for free in the asset store (or from Mr. Necturus's store).

Basically ... CS is a Model T Ford with crank to start it and MC is a Ford Ranger pickup with keyless ignition. More or less. ;)

But MC won't do your work for you. You still need to come up with your animations for your game and sequence them in MC. You still need to come up with your player models and your environment. Unless I'm forgetting something, all MC does is help you manage linked groups of animations, like if you wanted to do parkour, or complicated combat moves. (There's a camera and character controller included in MC, but you can get this for free from Unity's Sample Assets.)

I suggest using the free stuff that wasn't around when CS was created and see how far you get, and then see if you need either CS or MC.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  39. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I bought MC because it is very actively supported. I had planned on buying this asset for a long time, but with Robin dropping off the face of the earth and not supporting it, I started looking for other options. I can't speak much for what MC can or how to do things with it as I haven't even started working with it yet. But after combing through their thread and seeing how active the author is working on it and providing support, I didn't even pause to click purchase when it hit 24 hour sale a week or so ago.

EDIT to add: Like hopeful said, you will need to do some work. While some of the things that are in CS aren't in MC out of the box, all of the building blocks are there for you to put any movement you would want in your game for your characters.

40. Grave174

Grave174

is it just me or does the new unity update break CS? unity now freezes when the model is falling from a high distance.

41. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Thanks shaun and hopeful. I am certainly not expecting a complete package where i dont do any work to it. I just want the most freedom to be able to easily add my own actions etc. I looked at the Motion Controller thread and as pointed out, the creator is there ALL the time. Think he's moved in. Thats a very good sign. Makes me think something is a little off when the creator never turns up

Plus, i want easy multiplayer integration. I've seen demo's of people using MC with multiplayer, but not CS so i think the choice is made.

Thanks guys

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  42. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Pros of CS: Ready to run out of the box. Full set of motions, including combat, flying, swimming, climbing, dancing.
    Cons: No longer well supported. Problems with climbing and swimming (among other things) that haven't been fixed. Difficult to add or modify actions due to controller structure, and lack of documentation.

Pros of MC: Fairly complete set of base motions. Fully extensible modular design. Moving platform support. Great documentation and support from developer.
    Cons: Not quite as ready to go out of the box. No combat, swimming or flying motions included (yet). More of a framework for developing your own characters than a turn-key character you can just drop into your game.

Having just bought MC recently myself, out of frustration with the current state of CS, I guess you know my vote.

43. hopeful

hopeful

Oh yeah. Moving platform support on MC is great!

44. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

|Moving platform support? how did i miss that. Thats awesome.

I think being able to customize easily is more important than what it comes with. But i like to 'develop' rather than have a solution that's almost impossible to. I think in the few responses so far to this query, the answer is clear. CS seems rather impressive, but even just looking somewhat deeper into this with the help of owners its becoming clearer.

One question ( not being an owner of either ), how is climbing setup and how do they differ? Is it node based at all?

45. Rasly

Rasly

Can anyone who got this asset, tell me if it supports NavMeshAgent? What i mean is, can i use it for AI? lets say i want the AI to run around the map and maybe to clinb on something, is it possible?

46. hopeful

hopeful

CS doesn't really have AI. You'd have to provide that sort of thing. CS is mainly a camera, a model, and a mecanim state machine that transitions between simple animations for running, flying, swimming, climbing and a few combat moves (unarmed, katana, pistol, and rifle, IIRC).

47. hopeful

hopeful

You can find out more about this by reading the respective forum threads, but basically climbing in CS is a complicated affair of setting up ledges on a different layer and raycasting them. If I recall correctly people were having problems getting it to work right. In MC - while it seems to have begun that way, with climbable objects on a different layer - now so far as I can tell there is no separate climbing layer (though the documentation calls for it), the player simply moves up to an obstacle and tries to jump. If the top of the obstacle is low enough to be grabbed, then the character grabs it and pulls itself up.

However, climbing (or sneaking, or sliding, or whatever else is in the MC kit) is just an extra feature. It's an example of a motion, not what the kit is really about, which is you creating your own motions. (A "motion" being a combination of related animations and when to play each of them, like "gather, leap, in-air, descending, landing" for jumping.) So be prepared to take what is there on climbing, add your own animations and logic, and make whatever climbing method you want for your game.

For instance, you could modify the current scenario in MC so that if the obstacle is too high to jump over, but low enough to hand vault over, then a hand vault animation could be run. If the obstacle is too high for a hand vault, it goes to the climbing animation. You could also modify the motion to include wall running, if you wanted.

48. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

Both systems use layers to mark objects as climbable. CS uses separate climb colliders, while MC doesn't seem to need them.

Climbing in CS, when it works, is pretty flexible. You can do everything from vaulting over low obstacles to climbing the side of a tall building, including traversing overhangs, and pulling yourself over the ledge at the top. Unfortunately, it often doesn't work that well. For instance, climbing out of a pool hasn't worked very well (or at all) since the switch to mecanim, and overall climbing just doesn't seem very reliable anymore.

Climbing with MC is currently limited to objects you can reach the top of with your hands when you jump. To do more, climb a ladder or wall for instance, you'll need to create your own new motions first. This should be relatively easy though, considering the system was designed to allow easy customization.

49. hopeful

hopeful

MC can use a separate "climbable" layer to mark objects as climbable. But if you set the layer to default (or whatever layer all your world models are on), it will try to climb any object on that layer of the right height. In the demo, you can even have one mecanim dude climb and stand on top of the other one.

If you want to have wall climbing and other motions, it can be done in MC but you'd need to make them yourself.

50. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm! Just started download of a U5 update for Character System.

Is Robin back?