Search Unity

Change default project location...

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Adam-Buckner, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I know you can click "set" when creating a project, but the current User's Root directory is NOT the place to put your project. I'd like a simple pref or button in the setup window to set a default directory for new projects.

I have a Unity Projects directory where all my projects reside. I want to set this once, not every time I create a new project.

KarlGG and Magiichan like this.
  2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Oh! Oh! Oh! Agreed!

3. wccrawford

wccrawford

I see this question a few places, but nowhere has an answer. Is this still not implemented? It's really annoying to those of us who create a lot of new projects... You know, because we're playing around a lot.

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Rather than doing a whole new user preference option, too, it sounds like it would probably be sufficient to just start in the parent directory of the previously opened project.

5. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Actually a good simple solution would be a subdirectory "Unity Projects" in the user's document directory, at least it makes it easy to find all unity projects and it doesn't directly clutters your documents with folders. But yes a preference setting to set it would be best!

6. znoey

znoey

lol, this would be cool.
    I wanted to count all the projects i have in my project directory, but i felt like that would be a complete waste of time. sku's start at 8000 and go up to 29000. Not every 100 or so has a spot though and not every project in there has a sku.
    Its pretty obvious where my new projects are going to go, why can't i tell unity that again?

7. alone1992

alone1992

Hi
    I'm agree with that!!
    why you don't add it to feedback?
    Lets add it there we come and vote to your idea

8. Nalin Sharma

Nalin Sharma

I thought this would be possible, but it does not seem so - bit of an oversight. A simple usability fix that could save oodles of time :)

While we're at it does anyone find it strange that Unity does not have a project file per se or in XCode speak, a workspace file? If it did have this it would be 1) much easier to open Unity projects using finder
    2) far easier to search for unity projects and
    3) far easier to open up multiple instances of unity (which is cumbersome, but doing this really can speed things up)

N