Search Unity

Central Aunthentication Service (CAS server)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sap31, Jun 25, 2015.

1. sap31

sap31

Hi everyone,

being new to Unity and its forums I apologize if this post is in the wrong section.
    I'm currently in the process of choosing a 3D program in order to create a real-time e-learning app for my thesis. One of the apps I have been looking into is Unity, as a friend has said that it's great to work with. But I have one major criteria before I can make a definite choice which is linking the app to a CAS server, in order to restrict the app to the school's students. The school's authentication service uses a CAS server and I was therefor wondering if it would be possible to link the app to such a server. I'll be honest, I have no clue as to how the CAS server works, but the school's computing service have said that they can help me out if needed.
    So basically, I need to create an interface in order for students to log in to the school's authentication service, therefor gaining access to the app.

Many thx.
    Scott

2. eisenpony

eisenpony

Unity apps are able to import assemblies written using the full .net stack. Basically, that means you should be able to do anything with your Unity app that you would be able to do with a regular C# app. The short answer to your question, then, is: you can.

However, the devil is always in the details, so make sure you have good support in place for writing this authentication code in .net.

Also of note, make sure you are clear on your targeted platform (Windows, OSX, IOS, Android, etc...). Although the Unity framework supports cross-platform compatibility, there are considerations to take when creating your app and external assemblies.

3. sap31

sap31

Hi eisenpony,
    my apologies for getting back to you so late. Work has been hectic the past few weeks.
    Many thanks for your reply. It certainly has brought good insight into what I should be able to achieve. I'll forward your reply to the school's computing service who, hopefully, will be able to help out, or at least point me in the right direction.