Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cats In Space [2D Endless Game]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by OussamaB, Jun 8, 2014.

1. OussamaB

OussamaB

Introduction:

Because cats have been causing chaos in earth, humans have decided to deport them to space. You play as a one of these cats. There's no way you can go back home. Therefore, your goal is to survive and get the highest points in each game! Avoid all the obstacles that will try to kill you, collect stars to upgrade your survival abilities, use power-ups and complete missions and challenges.

Play For Free:

Features:

- Easy Controls: Just hold your finger on the screen anywhere to move the cat up and release it to move it down.
    - Various Obstacles: Asteroids, meteorites, not-so-friendly aliens, lasers, astronauts and more.
    - Collect Stars: Stars are the coins of the game, try to collect as much as you can in each run and upgrade power-ups and purchase cool stuff!
    - Power-UPs: Use power-ups to survive for more time! The nitro will boost your speed. The shield will protect from one hit. The Double will double your collected stars.The magnet will make the stars come to you. And the star load will destroy all the obstacles and spawn a bunch of stars for you! You can also upgrade these power-ups to make them last longer!
    - Cats: Purchase cool cats and play with them! There will be a ninja cat, robot cat, fire cat! I have tried to make the cats character look unique: All of them will have a big head and two small feet. Each cat has an advantage over the other. You can also play with special characters like the Nyan Cat!
    - Levels: The levels will be endless! Each level includes three exciting missions! Complete the three missions to level up and get a reward!
    - Daily Challenge: Each day, collect your cat food and get a reward! The reward gets bigger if you complete the challenge in consecutive days.

Characters:

- Kitto: The main character that you will be playing with. Nothing special.
    - Robocat: The Shield and Magnet power-ups last two more seconds.
    - Ninja Cat: He's faster than the other cats. The Nitro and head start power-ups last two more seconds.

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    chelnok likes this.
  2. OussamaB

OussamaB

Here's the first character of the game:

1) Normal sprite:
    I still need to better the flying animation.

2) Death sprite:
    When the cat hits an obstacles, both of his feet and head will go in different directions:

(Still haven't decided what to call him yet xD).

3. peterdeghaim

peterdeghaim

Looks pretty cool man. When's release? And will it be free?

OussamaB likes this.
  4. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thank you! I'm planning to release the game on June 20th.
    I got all the coding done. I'm focusing on the graphics design and sound effects for now. And yes it will be free.

peterdeghaim likes this.
  5. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Cats in space! That's crazy, I never heard anything so crazy.

Best of luck finishing the game.

OussamaB likes this.
  6. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thank you Space Mammoth. I'm trying hard to release the game before June 20th.

The game was originally about rockets. But since it's something common, I decided to make it about cats and keep the same space theme.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  7. OussamaB

OussamaB

I've been working on improving the missions and level system yesterday. Here are some screen shots:

Missions menu where the player can see the current objectives and where he can skip some of them using tokens:

A nice notification window pops up whenever you complete a mission!

And finally, enjoy some fireworks whenever you level up!

8. OussamaB

OussamaB

Finished working on the second character of the game: Ninja Cat!

(Image edited)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  9. OussamaB

OussamaB

Here's the third character that I've been working on:
    Say hi to Robocat!

10. OussamaB

OussamaB

A quick update:

Today, I've been working on the characters animations. I'm not that good at making 2D animations as it's my first attempt. I only animated the cats' feet when they fly in space and it looks good so far. I've been also setting sound effects. It wasn't an easy task for me. It is true that there are many resources for free sound effects but finding the perfect ones for your game is hard. I still didn't find the perfect music loop though. Other than that, I've been working on some art for the game, making the icon, fixing some bugs and playing it some times :D

Here's a new screen shots:
    Ninja cat has the shield activated and trying to avoid the dead cat astronaut and the meteorite after completing a mission.

11. OussamaB

OussamaB

I have decided that I will be releasing a beta version of the game really soon on both Google Play and Windows Phone (iOS will follow). I'm really glad that the game is nearly finished, I'm just doing the final touches. I will be also uploading a trailer for the game in the next two days.

12. OussamaB

OussamaB

A small update concerning the GUI skin. I started using a modified version of this mobile cartoon GUI skin by JNA Mobile: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7987 and It's free!
    Here are some screen shots to show you the progress of the game's menu:

When I first started the game, the main menu looked like this:

After some hard work, it looked like this:

And now it looks like this:

(PS: At the beginning of the development, the game was about rockets).

13. Usman Cheema

Usman Cheema

Great Work, Love the fact that you are doing art, engineering and design all yourself.

The nice simplistic art looks beautiful and clean, but the UI is a bit overdone in my opinion and the colors of UI give off a core sci-fi feel while the game art is cute and cuddly.

I know changing all the art will be a big setback but you can try playing with the colors a bit maybe.

14. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thank for your nice comment.

I've been searching for a suitable GUI skin since 2 days now and I think that this one is the right one for the game. However, I do agree with you, I'm not that happy with the current colors either. Any suggestions?

(By the way, the Sci-Fi GUI skin in all the screen shots in the main thread and all the replies expect my last one is removed and replaced by the new skin in the last screenshot)

15. OussamaB

OussamaB

Due to lack of funds, I'm currently unable to purchase essential plugins and tools to set up in-app purchases, in-app advertisements, leaderboards, etc... on different mobile platforms. And because of the same reason, I'm unable to support the game's marketing plan when it's released (digital advertisements to promote the game). Therefore, I'm going to extend the release date of Cats In Space. At the same time, I'm starting an indiegogo campaign where I will be receiving any donation instantly so I can have the chance of releasing the game even before the funding campaign ends.
    I've been also working on a nice and simple trailer video that will be used to promote the indiegogo's campaign. It will be available on Youtube tomorrow.

(The main thread will be updated tomorrow with new screen shots and content).

16. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello everyone, today is a big day for me. I started the indiegogo fund raising campaign to promote Cats In Space when it's released.

Check out the campaign's page on Indiegogo.com for more information and help make it happen for Cats In Space: http://igg.me/at/cats-in-space

It would be helpful if you guys share the campaign on your social accounts. Here's the trailer video that I made specially for the crowd funding campaign. It contains some game play footage.

17. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello, I'm close to release the game on Windows Phone. I've been setting up some plugins I got lately and fixing some bugs. In the past two days, I ran into a memory limit issue that cause the game to crash. But I think I found a solution right now. I'm still testing the game for any other bugs. The final release should be in the next two days.

Please check out my indiegogo campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...ss-runner-created-by-a-one-man-team/x/7905063 and help make it happen for Cats In Space!

18. Usman Cheema

Usman Cheema

New art suits much better. All the best for your campaign.

19. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thank you :D

I have just submitted Cats In Space on Windows Phone store and currently waiting for them to accept it.
    Meanwhile, I'm doing the final touches for the Android version which will be on Google Play in two days.

20. OussamaB

OussamaB

Today's update:

Cats In Space was submitted for the third time today. All my attempts to reduce memory use failed. So now it will only work on devices with 1GB+ memory (If it gets accepted of course).
    Cats In Space was just submitted on Google Play. It will available on Android phones and tablets in few hours.

21. OussamaB

OussamaB

22. Origxn

Origxn

:pI was interested in downloading this for Windows Phone but unfortunately (even though I uninstalled a lot of apps) I don't have enough space! :( So I'm currently downloading your other game, But tomorrow I will get more space available and download space cats. It looks pretty sweet!

23. Origxn

Origxn

:pI was interested in downloading this for Windows Phone but unfortunately (even though I uninstalled a lot of apps) I don't have enough space! :( So I'm currently downloading your other game, But tomorrow I will get more space available and download space cats. It looks pretty sweet!

24. OussamaB

OussamaB

I'm really glad that you liked the game! Please consider rating it and sharing it with some friends as that would help me a lot :D

25. OussamaB

OussamaB

26. OussamaB

OussamaB

Haven't posted here in a long time!

The game has been updated on Windows Phone! (The same update will follow soon on Android).
    I fixed how the ads show up and changed the whole main menu. I've also fixed some small bugs in the tutorial and improved how the obstacles spawn by reducing space between them.

I'm also thinking about canceling the indiegogo's campaign as nobody donated till now and it seems that I failed to promote the campaign well.

27. OussamaB

OussamaB

Since I haven't got any attention on the indiegogo campaign, I decided to cancel it. The main reason is because I didn't do the right things to promote the campaign properly. But I found another source to support marketing Cats In Space (advertisements) which is the Unity Asset Store. I decided to release a 2D Endless Runner Kit and use the money I earn from it to pay for a couple of ads and hopefully get more players.

Here's the link of the 2D Endless Runner Kit: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19591
    And here's the official page of the asset on my website: http://soumidelrio.com/assets/2d-endless-runner-kit/

28. OussamaB

OussamaB

It's been a long time since I have posted here. The game has grown pretty well on Windows Phone store. I found a way to make it work on 512MB memory devices. It has been featured on many countries and most of the reviews that I've got were great. On the other hand, it hasn't been downloaded that much on Google Play. I'm still trying to promote it on forums and blogs but real users don't seem to read those. I think it's the time for me to push a couple of ads to encourage people to download it.

I've also created new screenshots to display on the app store (check them out in the main post).