Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't View Canvas in Daydream VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by VicariousAlex, Aug 3, 2016.

1. VicariousAlex

VicariousAlex

Hi,

I'm just getting started with Daydream development, and I can't seem to get UI canvases to show up. They look fine in the Main camera, but in the VR camera it's almost like they're not there.

I saw that they have a canvas in the Controller Demo, but even that doesn't seem to show up.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Akshara

Akshara

Hello,

Yes, though this is an informed guess as I am on the same path as you... on the Google VR SDK for Unity Release Notes page, under the Known Issues in the 0.8.0 Initial Release section, there is the following note:
    Google still considers this a Current Known Issue and links to it at the top of the page, even though the following discussion suggests that it may be fixed in Unity 5.3.5p5 and later...

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/world-canvas-not-displaying-on-cardboard.396425/

I have decided to stay with 5.3.3f1 for Daydream development until Unity releases their native integration, because according to the ProjectVersion.txt file in the DaydreamLabsControllerPlayground sample project, that project was built using Unity 5.3.3f1 - plus it seems like Google is waiting too, as it has been over a month since their last SDK update.

Hopefully that helps. And hopefully we will hear something about the native integration soon.

Kind regards

VicariousAlex likes this.
  3. VicariousAlex

VicariousAlex

Thanks Akshara,

This is actually super helpful. Our team is making a decision on how to handle text and UI today, and this makes me feel a lot better about continuing with the canvas system.

Fingers crossed they fix this issue soon.

Akshara likes this.
  4. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

This issue was fixed in 5.3.6 however we did just recently get in a new bug that *possibly* this fix has introduced a new memory leak so might be best to hang tight a bit longer.

5. PolySean

PolySean

Hi Scott, has this memory leak been resolved? I'm using 5.3.6p2, and using the Google VR SDK still results in memory leaks. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  6. ScottF

ScottF

Vice President, Platforms

This issue is fixed and will be released in patches for both 5.4 and 5.3, however if you are using the cardboard plugin you can work around the memory leak for now.

In stereoController.cs OnPreCull comment out `cam.enabled = false`. The issue is that if the camera is not active at the end of the frame its resources wont be freed. This problem will be resolved in Unity going forward.

neverbetterthanlate and Ayo-Lin like this.
  7. Ayo-Lin

Ayo-Lin

Hi Scott, Is 5.3 patch released?
    I'm considering to use 5.3.3, or should I wait the patch for 5.3.6?

Thanks for your reply!