Search Unity

Can't Select Objects With Mouse Click in Unity 5.2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by reset, Sep 9, 2015.

1. reset

reset

Just upgraded to Unity 5.2 and I can no longer select objects in scene with mouse click.

Can swipe over objects in scene and select them or choose them for hierarchy.

Any fix for this issue?

2. orb

orb

Works for me. You should try to reproduce it in a simple project and send a bug report.

karl_jones likes this.
  3. Owers

Owers

I had the exact same issue. Closing the scene view tab and opening a new one fixed it for me.

Olaf_Roest, mfatihbarut and Nonakesh like this.
  4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Had the same issue. Installed 5.2 and couldn't click to select. Tried restarting unity; restarting computer. Closing scene view tab and adding a new one solved issue :)

Olaf_Roest likes this.
  6. eheimburg

eheimburg

Same thing here (restarted Unity/computer/etc. eventually fixed by closing the scene view and reopening).

This bug doesn't seem to be related to the project, but rather the settings of the editor. Because other upgraded projects don't have this issue, only the first one. So my guess is that something in the imported window configuration is borked after upgrading to 5.2.

7. eheimburg

eheimburg

Update: I can reproduce this simply by going to Window->Layouts...Revert Factory Settings...

The default factory settings are borked.

Shushustorm likes this.
  8. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

9. reset

reset

thanks SarfaraazAlladin!

I closed the scene window and opened a new one. Problem solved. Whew!

10. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

We had the same issue here, thanks for the solution (close and open scene tab). We had Jay and Carl from Unity a few hours ago in the office, we will let them know that this fix the issue, but surely is a bug =)

11. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Is this all happening on DX11 when linear color space is used, and MSAA is on? (in known issues: "Editor: Scene view picking in linear color space does not work for DX11 when MSAA is used (quality: fantastic). Workaround: Use gamma color space, turn off MSAA or switch to DX9. This will be fixed in 5.2.0p1" https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.2)

12. Infrid

Infrid

headsup - I have this problem and have had it on the last few builds of Unity 5 on mac. There's nothing I can do to make it work. Makes my life hell. :(

13. JayJennings

JayJennings

Putting this here because if someone is looking for *this* answer the thread will probably catch their eye...

I'm using Synergy to share keyboard and mouse between iMac and MBP -- with shared mouse I can select objects in the scene, but I can't use any of the widgets to tweak it -- can't rotate, can't move horizontal or vertical with the little pointy grabber things, etc. I have to use the trackpad on the MBP for those things.

Just in case someone is looking to solve the "can't move objects with mouse" problem and happen to be using Synergy. :)

Jay

14. aaron95j

aaron95j

Started having this issue in 5.3.2p2. I am not using msaa, however Dx11 and linear colour space are enabled.
    Is this a separate bug?

15. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Sounds like it. Details?

16. Lionious

Lionious

yea i have the same problem , when i create new scene i can select objects but i can't select from my old scene that have game world , and yea is happen on 5.2.3.p2

17. sakus

sakus

Had this in one project on 5.3.2p3 on OSX - closing the scene view tab and opening a new one seems to have fixed it.

18. toxicFork

toxicFork

I'm getting the same issue on my home computer on 5.3.2p3 in a more specific case: happens when I render to a texture from within OnWillRenderObject and the object is visible from the scene camera. With this one closing scene view and opening a new one does not resolve it, but not calling camera.Render does.

Created the specific issue case on fogbugz now ( 772044 ), hope it will help resolve the other cases as well :)

19. artleaf3d

artleaf3d

I think that regard the old shaders. The selection of objects works properly after removing water / FX

drout0 likes this.
  20. fafase

fafase

Happening to me as well... Closing and reopening worked for a short while.

10 minutes ago, clicking would select an irrelevant object in the scene, now it just stopped doing anything.

Unity at its best...

21. jerome-d-russ

jerome-d-russ

I am brand new to Unity so I thought it was just me being a total newb!
    After seeing the comment on the water effect, I changed the Water Mode to simple and I was able to start selecting objects again. Thanks @artleaf3d

22. rab

rab

Had the same problem in 5.3.4

removing the old mirror reflection script (realtime planar mirror derived from the unity water mirror script) solved the problem. After script deactivation I was able to select objects in the scene. Activating the script again was preventing mouse click detection in editor.

Do you have any mirror scripts in your scene? Try to deactivate them. helped me.

AlbertoMastretta likes this.
  23. AlbertoMastretta

AlbertoMastretta

I just had the same problem in 5.3.4 and this fixed it. I turned off my water and now I can properly click select. I'll just turn it on when I save my scene.

24. thomasphifer

thomasphifer

Yep had the same problem here. The answer was I was using "Water Pro". I just turned off Water Pro and used Water Basic and it works. I'll just work in my scene with basic on and then when I'm finished turn it back to the high end water.

25. Bainto93

Bainto93

Ive only recently started using Unity, but simply reseting the settings to default allowed me to use my tools again

26. vladk

vladk

5.3.4.p1 , same issue, closing and opening the scene view doesn't fix it. Irritating as hell, because the scene I work with has S***load of objects :(

27. AndrewCzarnietzki

AndrewCzarnietzki

5.3.4p1 - DX11, MSAA and Linear color space. The error is definitely associated with a planar reflection derived from the standard water shader - turn off the component and selection works just fine. Not sure why this would break things, but glad I at least know the culprit!

samurai926 likes this.
  28. samurai926

samurai926

Can confirm that disabling the Water script in the WaterProDaytime GameObject allows me to select objects in the scene editor again.

29. Invertex

Invertex

For those who don't want to worry about turning it on and off again, you can comment out the line in the script near the top that says: [ExecuteInEditMode]

30. tukka

tukka

5.3.4f1 - I am having same problem selecting items in the scene view. I have a very simple scene. No water. I have tried closing the scene tab and opening a new one. Doesn't work.

31. JuliusJ

JuliusJ

QA Minion of the month Unity Technologies

32. chillersanim

chillersanim

Although it works, for me this was not a viable solution, as the water becomes gray in the editor.
    Instead, it is also possible to modify the method "GetWaterMode()" in the script as follows:
    (Line 328)

Code (CSharp):
    1. WaterMode GetWaterMode()
    2. {
    3.   /*** New code ***/
    4.   if (!Application.isPlaying)
    5.   {
    6.       return WaterMode.Simple;
    7.   }
    8.   /*** End of new code ***/
    10.   if (m_HardwareWaterSupport < waterMode)
    11.   {
    12.       return m_HardwareWaterSupport;
    13.   }
    14.   return waterMode;
    15. }
    This will change the water mode to "Simple" when the game is not running.

Optionally you could wrap the new code in #if UNITY_EDITOR tags, in order to get rid of it in production code.
    Like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2. if (!Application.isPlaying)
    3. {
    4.     return WaterMode.Simple;
    5. }
    6. #endif
    Greetings
    Chillersanim

33. atlas-amfistomos

atlas-amfistomos

Yup, that's the problem. I was unable to select any object while the water with the reflective effect was intersecting with the camera's viewport (hopefully I am using the correct terminology here). Once the water wasn't visible I was able to select objects again.

34. zoikou

zoikou

Hello guys!
    I am new in Unity and I have the same problem with selection on mouse clicking. I am using Unity 5.3.5 and nothing mentioned above saved me from my struggle! Anyone with an idea? closing and opening a new scene view doesn't seem to fix the problem:/

35. JuliusJ

JuliusJ

QA Minion of the month Unity Technologies

Hey! Could you file a bug and drop case number here?

36. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

Ummm, I know you expect everyone to know how to change these settings, but trust me, not everyone knows. How about a quick explanation on where to go to modify these?? Where do I set DX9/MSAA???

37. NIMBLE_JIM

NIMBLE_JIM

I have the same issue in Personal 5.3.5 and it is also down to the WaterPro being active and visible in the scene, I can only select objects when the water is offscreen or turned off.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017