Search Unity

Cant play my multiplayer game with friends!!! plz Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by _spacepig_, Aug 29, 2016.

1. _spacepig_

_spacepig_

I gave my friend the folder with my multiplayer game in it, but we cant join each others game!!!!!

I think its because we are actually using different games because i copy/pasted it into a hard drive!

How do i fix this!!!!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. g-hoot

g-hoot

First, let me say, I'm a newb, so I don't know what I'm talking about. LOL. I am making a multiplayer game to play with my buddies at work and the first little test game I made worked with it on each players hard drive. Are you 100% sure you have the correct IP address? Maybe you are trying to use the WIFI IP?

3. SuperNeon

SuperNeon

Did you try to connect two instances of your game launched on the same pc ?

4. Antistone

Antistone

What tutorial or example did you follow to add network functionality to your game in the first place?

5. _spacepig_

_spacepig_

yes id tried two instances launched on my pc worked 100% fine

6. _spacepig_

_spacepig_

and i loosely followed the simple multiplayer tutorial unity learn

although i didnt make that game i made my own

7. srylain

srylain

Is your friend playing on LAN or from somewhere else? If you're on LAN, you don't have to worry about port forwarding/triggering like you do if you're not on LAN. In order to do port forwarding, look up guides on Youtube or your router's manufacturer as all router software is different although the terms and techniques are generally all the same.

Basically what's happening is your router is rejecting your friend's data, and you need to go into your router settings and force it to allow the data.

8. _spacepig_

_spacepig_

its on lan

since i COPIED the project on to a hard drive maybe actually not the same project

9. Antistone

Antistone

Copying a program doesn't change what happens when you run it. (If the behavior changed, then by definition it's not a copy.)

If two instances running on your own computer were able to connect to each other, then the reason you can't connect to your friend is almost certainly something to do with the network connection between your computers, not with the game itself.

10. SuperNeon

SuperNeon

look like a firewall issue :)

or may be a wrong ip address. more info are welcome !

11. g-hoot

g-hoot

Assuming you are on Windows, make sure you get the servers correct IP address.

Go to Start, Run
    Type "cmd" and enter
    At the prompt, enter ipconfig
    I believe the IPv4 address is the one you want.

(if you are on Windows 10 you can go to Cortana and type cmd)

12. _spacepig_

_spacepig_